“Mediocrity at its best” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ponderosa Lodge
Salem, New Hampshire
“Mediocrity at its best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

We were a little disappointed in the Ponderosa Lodge. Our unit was on the second floor overlooking the river. The door of the unit opens into the bedroom, and we were immediately greeted with that cloyingly sweet cleaner smell that some of the lower end chain hotels use. That was a turn-off for me. The showerhead was a perfect height for me - I'm 5'2". Unfortunately for my husband, that didn't work at all for him - he's 6'4". Not sure why hotels do that...
The unit looked like it had been recently refurbished with matching bedspread and shower curtain. The bed linens and blanket were just OK, and the mattress wasn't wonderful.
The teeny little wall-mounted tv was hard to watch from the bedroom. Geez folks, flat screens have gotten quite inexpensive so it's time for an upgrade.
Parking was not a problem the first night, but the second night we had to scrounge for a spot.
It was an OK place, just not memorable and it wouldn't be our first choice to stay there again as I know there are other nicer, newer places for the money. It is, however, very convenient to Rocky Mountain National Park.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Valparaiso, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

I had never stayed at Ponderosa in the past, but this year, the time and pricing were right, and I've always wanted to stay somewhere on the Fall River. I am so glad I decided to stay at Ponderosa and I will recommend it to my friends! Mary Ann and Jennifer were so helpful and accommodating. The room was cozy and clean and very comfortable. The setting is so tranquil and was just the perfect thing for my vacation. I also used the hot tub one afternoon after hiking, and it was clean and very relaxing. I have pets at home, so it was nice to meet and pet Shadow, the office cat. There are lots of places to stay in Estes Park, but I don't want to stay anywhere else in the future, and I will be coming back to the Ponderosa whenever I can! Thank you!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
Colorado Springs, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

This lodge was very disappointing. The reviews and photos are very misleading so be careful before you go. We almost had to spend the whole vacation there but fortunately we only had to spend one night. The owner of the motel would not let us have our money back for the first night. The room was small (not big enough to accommodate 5 people), not enough parking, dirty and unclean, the railing from the deck to the river had openings large enough for a child to fit through and fall from, the price was incredibly too high, and it is not a "cabin or a lodge" just a cheap motel room by the river. Not our idea of a vacation. Also, aggressive bears wander the area in the night...no thanks!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We have been married 10 years as of July 4th 2010 and wanted to stay somewhere special. Ponderosa Lodge was he perfect choice. We rented room number 7 which was clean and recently remodeled. The Managers and staff were very friendly and helpful. Excellent location. A few miles from town or a few miles form the north entrance to RMNP! Whenever we get back to Estes Park Ponderosa Lodge will be our first choice! Thank you Ponderosa Lodge management and staff for helping us make our 10th Anniversary a special one!

Tim & Von Dayton Ohio

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TIM_VON2000
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2010

This is the most perfect place to stay when in Estes Park. I have been staying here since 1975 and have only missed two year visits. MaryAnn is the perfect hostess and so helpful for any questions. She is like being with your best friend. Walt taught me how to make the best fire in my fireplace and how to spot trout in Fall River. So clean and peaceful. I have seen lots of different wild life just outside my room on the river. It is so wonderful to have Poderosa Lodge to come back to each day during my stays. Shadow guards the grounds and allows me to use her as a substitute pet. She tolerates my petting and talks with MaryAnn. You can have a busy day or just relax and be comfortable whatever you choose to do. There are so many activities that are convenient and RMNP is just down the road. I knew it before Lawn Lake flood and seen many changes but it still remains my favorite place in my heart.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank Jilly0504
omaha,Ne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

Love yer cat First time Ive seen a black bear was not in the park, it was by my truck. Love it there.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank jjjohnson19
Great Plains
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2009

Stayed here while touring the area. Owners were great. Friendly, warm atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family