“Ghosts exist” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
new york
“Ghosts exist”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

We stayed at the Stanley Hotel for 2 nights. The hotel has no air conditioning, but does have ceiling fans and an extra fan in the closet. We had a corner room with great ventilation.

We ate 2 meals in the evening at the hotel in the bar area. Both meals were excellent. Drinks at the hotel were decent. Jimmy, the nice bartender, made a great Sangria.

I did not do the ghost tour, so I can not comment on it. We definitely had ghostly experiences in our room, both evenings. Each evening, after we went to sleep (Rm 209), our bathroom door was closed. We spoke to people who have stayed at the hotel several times and always have experiences. This time a coke can was taken out of their luggage, her earrings which were boxed were moved to another side of the room and her pony tail was taken out of her hair.

We went searching for elk and finally saw 3 Elk on our way out of town. Someone sitting next to me ran into a bear and showed me a picture on her phone.

The lobby of the hotel is very nice. The veranda overlooking the mountains is a great place to hang out, use WiFii, have a glass of wine, or your morning coffee.

The bathrooms could use some updating. Our toilet seat was pretty disgusting. The tub also needed work. It seemed like they painted it, but it was chipping. We had a new sink, but it was cracked. The mattresses are brand new. They were all replaced in May

We intended to eat in town the second evening, but we arrived in town about 9 pm and found all the restaurants closed already. Town closes up early, except for a few tourist shops. We returned to the hotel for dinner, where the kitchen closes at 10 pm

We had pizza for lunch on the riverwalk, outside at Poppies (I think that was the name). Pizza was good.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CalleaSherrill, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
Greenville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

The Stanley Hotel is impressive and beautiful from the outside. It offers incredible views of the mountains and of Estes Park. It is a historic hotel and offers a lot of history, but the rooms reflect how old a property this is. Considering the fact that we had previously stayed in luxury hotels in Denver, Breckenridge, Aspen, and Vail on this same vacation and that this was the most expensive of all of these cities, I was a bit disappointed with our experience. The woman who checked me in was friendly, but not especially helpful. She just gave me my key and that was it, no offer to help with luggage, no information about what else the hotel had to offer, no nothing. Our room was supposed to be one of the newly renovated rooms, which I guess it was, but it still wasn't very impressive. The attention to detail just wasn't there - I understand it is historic, but the fact that the picture over the bed was way over to one side instead of centered just gave us a sense of no pride. That was just a sense of our experience. There is no a/c in this hotel - it does cool down at night but we were still incredibly hot while there. I did see fans in windows of other rooms as we left, but we didn't have one in our room and weren't offered one at check in. We also had requested a crib at check in and there wasn't one in the room. I asked again and they sent one up. It was so disgusting that my husband put it right back in the hall. It looked so old (it was a pack and play) and had black moldy looking stains all over the part that the child lies on. Even though we would have a sheet over top of it, I wasn't taking any chances. For the price we paid, they need to invest in some new cribs. To summarize, I liked the historic aspect of the hotel and it's a beautiful property but it doesn't live up to the price paid - we were disappointed.

1 Thank carolina2009
CalleaSherrill, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay. Your opinion is very important to us and we will investigate the concerns you have shared. We are always looking for ways to improve!
Fort Wayne, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

The service was excellent in the hotel and dining room.
The room was beautiful, but not air conditioned and I couldn't sleep at night because it was so hot. If I opened the windows to cool off, then the really loud noise from the waterfall outside our room kept me awake.
The bathroom was pretty, but when my daughter went to take a bath the water wasn't hot (more like lukewarm).
The location is perfect, and easy to access all activities at Estes Park. There is a free shuttle that runs every half an hour from the Stanley to town.
The best thing was the beauty and history of the building.
The worst thing was the lack of A/C in the room. When I checked out, the staff asked if I had any comments about my stay and I told her how hot the room was. She was sorry for my inconvenience and did recommend that if we stay again in the summer, to book a corner room so that you can get cross ventilation through the windows. She did say that that costs extra, though.
I would definitely stay there again, but not in the hot season.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We love our beautiful, historic hotel and are glad to hear you did too. We are having a hotter than normal summer, and we apologize for any inconvenience the lack of air conditioning may have caused. Hope to see you at another time.
Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed two nights after a family reunion in South Dakota. Would loved to have stayed longer and plan to come back one day. The historical aspect alone makes the trip worth it and if you like ghost stories, even better. Stephen King was inspired to write The Shining after his stay in Room 217 and the Stanley Kubrick version plays in the room 24/7 (although it wasn't filmed there - the miniseries was).

The hotel though is not at all spooky. It has the most welcoming, friendly feel. It is not air-conditioned but the mountain air is so delicious you do not need it!!! At night it gets cool so bring some warmer clothes. Days are hot and sunny with a lovely breeze. You can leave the windows open at night and just let the mountain air cool the room.

The food at the restaurant is delicious but a bit on the pricey side. The town of Estes Park has many nice choices for food if you don't want to pay hotel prices.

While I was checking out someone came up and asked for a rate card. The receptionist told him that there were 20 kinds of rooms - from the smallest up to the Presidential Suite and rates change depending on when you stay...so make sure you ask questions when you book. The 4th floor rooms are smaller - they were originally used for nannies and children (it is also said to be the most haunted floor). It seemed to be a little hotter up there.

The pool is nothing fancy but it was heated and has an 8' deep end, which my boys liked.

It is also pretty hopping on the weekends when there are weddings going on.

If you like a Grand Hotel in exquisite surroundings, history and ghosts...this is the place!

Room Tip: Ask questions about all their available room choices.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So glad you enjoyed your stay! We pride ourselves on our history and that welcoming, friendly feel that you describe is what we hope to give to each of our guests. Please come back and visit anytime.
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

Hotel needs a major overhaul from the inside. There is no A/C. You can hear people walking because the floor sqeaks. Sink does not drain well. I expected way more for the money.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for sharing your concerns. We are currently undergoing a large renovation project and hope that you will plan to make another visit with us in the future.
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

I have lived in Colorado for 30 plus years and make a visit to the Stanley every few years. The Hotel is about the best now that I have ever seen it.
Here are my positive observations: Staff is trying very hard and succeeded in being professional and helpful during my visit. Good interaction with room service, front desk, bellman, key repair man and observed a lot of staff cleaning porches etc. around wedding reception.
Had a room on the the third floor facing East. Incredible sunrise and view of the lake and full moon over the lake that took my breath away. The views from the Hotel such as the front veranda looking at Long Peak are to remember all your life! Room very clean and everything in working order. Huge deep bathtub, with very hot water! Loved it!
Downside: Parking lot very crowded with wedding guests in addition to tourists. At check in time there was NO place to park. Finally after driving around for 15 minutes getting desperate, a Hotel employee came and directed me to park in an illegal zone. From my window, I could see that parking was a challenge for guests until about 7:00p.m.
No airconditioning and room was extremely hot with no breeze blowing which is kind of unusual for Estes. Finally started to cool down around 8:00 p.m. but was heating up next day by 9:00a.m. Ceiling fan helped but the temperature of the room could be an issue for some.
In summary, The Stanley has an aura of its own. Some aspects will be irritating. Its not like a 5-star Resort. There are quirks like the doors that don't always work with the key card. But for a visit to yesteryear, creaking floors and all, it can't be beat. And at night with all the lights glowing, it appears like a cruise ship on the side of the mountain. I will keep going back even with the flaws.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jacaranda83
Thank you for taking the time to tell us what you liked about your stay! We are happy to hear you make it a point to return to our hotel every so often. We know that parking can be a challenge during our busier times at the hotel and are currently attempting to find a solution for that concern. Hope to see you again in the near future.
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

It was definitely worth staying once to take in the history and picturesque views. Take a tour if you are so inclined, look at the Stanley Steamer in the lobby, check out the door of room 217 and watch the Shining (which shows 24 hours on a channel of your in room TV). But be aware it is an older hotel, without air conditioning, noisier rooms with less soundproofing than most hotels and sparely finished rooms. If you can adapt to these type of things, and haven’t been to the Stanley before definitely go. The next time I'm in town I probably won't stay here, but I'm glad we did at least once.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Crescoia
Thank you for visiting our hotel. Although our historic property does not have air conditioning, the cooler temps that we typically have in the mountains often make it unnecessary. We hope that you will consider another visit with us sometime, maybe in the fall when the temps have cooled down and the scenery is breathtaking!