“Fine location but way overpriced”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Ord, Nebraska
“Fine location but way overpriced”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I understand the historical aspect of the stanley hotel as well as it's landmark status. But you really pay a premium to stay here and get very little for your dollars. I've had 2 seperate meetings at this location and the surroundings and atmosphere may be worth the price to some, but I have found that staying at one of the other smaller hotels will give you much more. The food at the stanley is very high priced but it is billed is a high class dining experience. If money is no object and you like the idea of staying in a museum then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a lower floor on the front of the building. You won't have to ride the death comtrac...
Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Thanks very much for your comments. I truly appreciate hearing from you.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss with you so I can better understand in this important area of value.

mcarsch@stanleyhotel.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
Newburgh
Reviewed 18 May 2012

First, hotel looks appealing from the outside. Room rates are expensive. There is no air conditioning so when you check in you are greeted by a stifling room. By the time you move a crib into one of the suites itis like a wipeout episode. Our room was next to the elevator which is cute. At night though what may be interpreted as a ghost is really the elevator banging all night. Expensive way to listen to a bunch of ghost hunters hushing each other down the hall while the elevator slams away. Better places in Estes park I am sure.

• Stayed May 2012
6 Thank Holob1
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2012
Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the noise issue you experienced while a guest in our hotel.

We take every comment very seriously and I assure you that I have already discussed with our property engineer the possible resolution of the problem. It is true that the Stanley is a historic property over 100 years old however there are certain issues that we can always improve.

Again, thanks very much for staying with us and if you will allow us to be of service again, I would be pleased to handle your reservation personally and insure the comfort of your stay.

The Stanley Hotel
mcarsch@stanleyhotel.com
Colorado
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

Since I saw The Shining, I've wanted to stay at The Stanley. Wasn't dissappointed. It's a lovely historic building with an abundance of charm. Be aware--it really is over 100 years old and it doesn't have air conditioning. Colorado summers can be rather warm, even in the mountains. Our room had a ceiling fan, which will help, but even in late May, we slept with the windows open. If you want to avoid noise, ask for a quiet room.

The bar has an outstanding drink list. Don't pass up the blood orange margarita and sip it on the veranda while you watch the sun set over the Rockies.

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HotDogColorado
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
So nice of you to comment on your recent visit. We truly appreciate hearing from you! It is true that it can be warm here but at night at 7,500 feet the area cools down nicely.

We are proud of our outstanding drink list and Cascades restaurant as well. Thanks for noticing!

Look forward to your return often and thank you very much for spending time with us!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We've stayed @ The Stanley several times over the years. The hisotirc romantic hotel is just lovely with the most amazing views of The Rocky Mountains and the Town of Estes Park! We thouroughly enjoyed our 3 day, 25th Wedding Anniversary stay at The Stanley!

There's a scary little tidbit of information that you Do need to know. The Stanley Hotel is where the movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson, was filmed.....& they do play that movie 247 on one of the channels. My husband went down the hall to get ice for our room & he said, "if I see a crazy scary little girl, I'm gonna run down the hall screaming like a little kid"......annnnd, He DID RUN Back to our room, doing the "silent scream" , & banging on the door to let him in......hilarious! ! ! The Stanley Hotel is known to be haunted & there have been many sightings of F.O. & Flora Stanley making appearences from time to time! Flora Stanley likes to play the piano at diffferent times in the wee hours of the morning.

We stayed in The Lodge Building of The Stanley in room 1211 & couldn't have hand picked a better room! It's a corner room that overlooks the Rocky Mountians and downtown Estes Park. It's spacious, decorated beautifully & so comfy! The Stanley really does Luxury RIGHT! We look so forward to our next visit to The Historic Stanley Hotel! Our experiences have always been exceptional!

This hotel is

Room Tip: We stayed in Room # 1211....a Corner room facing the beautiful Rocky Mountians. It was the end of...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SpiceOfLife1960
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Yesterday, we went to The Stanley Hotel for Mother's Day brunch as a special treat for my 90 year-old mother. It has been one of her favorite places. We live in a town about 30 miles away and over the years have gone to The Stanley for special brunches, weddings and have taken business clients there for lunch and dinner. We have never been treated badly and have continued to come despite times when the food was less than we expected.

We arrived 20 minutes ahead of our reservation and checked in just to let them know we were there. The man at the desk told me it would be 20 minutes, which was fine. We walked around the lobby and into the gift shop, partly to stay out of the way of the people checking in for brunch. We came back in 15 minutes just to let him we were back and he said in a rude, accusatory voice "Well, I called your name three times. Wait over there out of the way." Then he had the 3 of us seated at a 2-person cocktail table. It was so small, I began taking the salt and pepper shakers and flowers off the table so we'd have room for our plates and glasses. As I was doing that, I said to the hostess who seated us that the man had not told us to hang out around the check-in area and also that the table was too small. She replied in a rude tone that if we wanted another table, we'd have to wait longer. Then in a sarcastic voice, she told us to "enjoy our lunch" and walked off.

By the way, they were seating people before us who simply walked in with no reservation.

The bright spot was our kind and helpful server who found us a 3-person table in about 15 seconds.

I am not a confrontational person and know that food service is a hard job. I did nothing to anger this man and was polite and cooperative when we checked in. So I don't understand why he was so rude to us. My 90 year-old mom kept asking me why he was so surly.

I found out that he is the food and beverage manager; so I hate to think how his attitude will filter down through the hotel's food service. He ruined our Mother's Day lunch. By the way, the buffet was $52/person, so I expected better. I won't mention some of the problems with the buffet itself when we compared it to previous years.

We will NEVER go back to The Stanley! And we are telling our friends, family, and business clients.

Don't pay to be treated rudely and have disappointing food on top of it!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
15 Thank Ann501
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thanks so very much for your important comments regarding your recent visit to the Stanley Hotel.

I sincerely apologize for a less than positive experience and assure you that the appropriate follow up has already taken place.

Please contact me at my email address or phone number below to further discuss.

Again thank you for your input. We truly appreciate hearing from all of our guests.

The Stanley Hotel
mcarsch@stanley hotel.com
970- 577-4006
Kennebunkport, Maine
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We stayed two nights in the Lodge. This was our second experience at the Stanley. Both have been exceptional. Facility upgrades (carpeting) were going on during our visit, but it did not interfere with our enjoyment of the place.

One thing that makes the Stanley and the Manor, in particular, exceptional is the wonderful breakfast and personal attention paid by Midge, a pastry chef extraordinaire, and the “house-mother” of the Lodge. She is great!

We had one small disappointment in the main dining room: We returned late, 9:15 pm, from an outing and asked for food service. The dining room closes at 9:00 pm and they were unable to accommodate us, even for a hamburger at the bar…

Otherwise it is a grand hotel, our experience was wonderful, and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Allyn L
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Thanks so very much for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Lodge at the Stanley Hotel. We very much appreciate hearing from you and I am so pleased our innkeeper was able to provide the outstanding experience that you expected.

I also appreciate your comments regarding the kitchen service after 9. Please be assured those comments are important to us and I will follow up accordingly.

We look forward to your return in the future!
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2012

We stayed at The Lodge at The Stanley last week. Loved it. It was such an "at home" feeling. I had my Beagle with me and the staff remembered her name which I thought was such a personal touch. Midge makes a fantastic breakfast and she is so friendly. It was all I could do not to kidnap her and bring her home with us! The food was so pretty you just stared at it for a while before indulging. Justin at the front desk was so helpful. Michael, the General Manger introduced himself and took a bit to have a nice conversation with us. I simply cannot wait to get back!

Room Tip: Stay in The Lodge!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends