“Mountain beauty”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 2 June 2012

A classic in the Rockies-- and it looks it. The Stanley really stood out as we entered the city of Estes Park, heading to the west from Boulder area. It was a beautiful day and sitting on the front porch was stunning, with the peaks of the Rockies off in the distance. Nice updated room, corner deluxe-- that was roomy but a bit sparse. Missed any coffee availability in the room, or even in the lobby of the hotel in the a.m., what's with that?? Breakfast was ok, but food service staff seemed stressed. Loved watching the Shining in our room late night-- and available 24/7. The constant parade of folks on tours through the lobby, and even clustered around the stairwell by our room were just a little annoying. But again-- for that view from the porch-- all very worth it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Thanks very much for your comments regarding your stay. We do agree with you- the view from the Stanley is like no other and we are fortunate that we have the opportunity to share it with so many guests.

Hope to see you again during our beautiful summer season!

The Stanley Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (2,561)

Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed two nights at the Stanley with our two children over Memorial Day weekend. The hotel is lovely and historic (more than 100 years old). The hotel shares it's history with photographs from decades ago, as well as celebrities that have stayed there and movies that were filmed there. They have a partnership with the Butterfly Pavilion and showcase hundreds of monarch butterflies that have been hatched there. The grounds are getting a facelift. The views from the front porch of the Rockies can't be topped! Fine original woodwork. Small but nice restaurant, the Cascades provided a great breakfast that was reasonably priced considering it was in a hotel in a resort town ($7 kids meal, $11-14 adult breakfast), but the service was very slow (brought my ice tea mid way through the meal, after I asked twice, and the kids hash browns midway through). Wonderful service, but the rooms need a little upkeep. Granted it is a 100 year old hotel, but for the price per night, I was surprised when we found peeling wall paper and bathtub paint in our room. The king bed was comfortable, but the roll away bed they had to bring in for our four year old son was very small with a thin mattress, and barely fit in the room with 8 inches to the window and touching the king bed on the other side.

There are a lot of tour groups going through multiple times per day. They ask non-guests to remain on the lower floors, but the tour groups go up to room 217 and the staircase landing. Overall it was a very fun place to visit once, but a little too crowded with the two weddings and tour groups everywhere.

Room Tip: The rooms on the fourth floor are supposed to be the haunted ones. We stayed on the second floor a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Thanks very, very much for your comments regarding your recent visit to the Stanley Hotel. I sincerely appreciate hearing from you.
Our hotel is continually upgrading and repairing the 100 year old building as well as the grounds and the other many amenities that we offer. I am so pleased you enjoyed the Butterfly Encounter- that is a new program put in place last month!
I appreciate your comments regarding the room and our Cascades restaurants. All feedback is important to us!

Reviewed 28 May 2012

I and several friends just spent a week at The Lodge, at The Stanley, and the stay was wonderful. They Re just finishing renovations for this 103 year old hotel and it is beautiful, yet with character. The room was nice and cozy and the bathroom was well updated. Every morning breakfast was freshly prepared. Not the usual eggs and sausage, there was fresh Greek yogurt, berries and homemade granola that was delicious. On top of that, Midge made the best pastries, fresh each morning, that I have ever had! She made muffins, croissants, tarts and the like. She also made fresh fixings for lunch while we were there. I especially remember the guacamole that was out of this world. If you stay at the lodge, you ate going to love this extra special touch!

Room Tip: South side has best views for me
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron E
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I actually found a groupon to stay here, it was only about $80. Me and my boyfriend paid a little extra to have an upgraded room. When we went to check in there was a little confusion about our reservation because of the groupon. Although our reservation was in the computer, they were having a hard time finding our room, or something like that, possibly because we upgraded as well. The concierge, apologized and said it would only be a few minutes. We then went into the room they gave us, and there was still other people's clothes in the room. So we went back down to the check in desk. The concierge again apologized profusely, and said that another room would be ready, but it would be over an hour. However it would be an upgraded room, we would be waived the upgrade fee we already paid for the room we reserved, and we also got 20% off the Cascades restaurant in the hotel. The concierge was very apologetic. We decided to go to the town and find something for dinner, the concierge called us on our cell to tell us the room was ready about an hour later. Upon entering the room, I ended up finding more clothes. They were moving the clothes and items from the room we entered earlier, and had left some. So I was not sure about how clean the room was if they hadn't noticed more clothes while cleaning.

Otherwise our room was lovely, and looked clean. The bathroom very nice, and unique with a large oval window which opened all the way. The tub also had jets in it, and was pretty nice. The bed was very elegant and comfortable. It was a bigger room than we were expecting, but if we had paid full price, and not been upgraded I think I would have been a little dissapointed, I think this room would probably be over $300 a night. When we got to the room, although the tours of the hotel don't even go directly by our room, we could still hear people in the hallways. Even after the tours ended, there were a lot of people trafficking through the hallways.

We decided to go to the Cascades restaurant and have a few drinks. The restaurant was great. There were tv's with sports on them. The lighting was relaxing. Cascades was also less busy than we originally thought it was going to be, or we probably would've gone there for dinner. We ended up ordering an appetizer, because we were there for so long. The food was really good, and then we did regret not going there for dinner. We enjoyed it so much that we stayed several hours. The waiters were also very nice, and it was just very laid back all around. What a great evening.

After Cascades we decided to walk around the hotel. It was close to Christmas, and we enjoyed seeing the elaborate Christmas decorations at night. Although the hotel was pretty much entirely full, (we could tell while we were waiting at check in, earlier that day); it was now silent and deserted. If I remember right it was about midnight. It was great seeing the rooms, that are usually packed full of people, completely empty and quiet. We were able to actually explore the rooms, and enjoyed it much better than the previous times we had seen them on a tour.

The next morning, we woke up to hear people running up and down the hallways laughing. Running up and down stairs (we weren't even that close to the stairs). Obviously this is an old building so some of this was expected, but we were a little dissapointed about not being able to seep a little later. On our way out, the concierge recognized us and came over to talk to us. He remembered our names, and again said he was very sorry. He said he was glad we enjoyed the stay, and to come back again.

I probably would have been a little more upset about our room, but because the concierge took accountability for the mistake, I couldn't be very upset. If we had paid full price I would have been a lot more upset. I thought this was a great deal, and worth the $80, but here is no way I would pay over $300 for the room we stayed in, so I will take that into account for the ranking. Overall the service was great, and several people who were working the check in actually remembered our names, and helped us out a lot. It was a great experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thanks for your comments!

We appreciate hearing from you and I am pleased that your overall visit to the hotel was enjoyable.

We do hear from time to time about some noise in the hallways. With a building of this age we are always debating the need for improvements in this area versus the historic side of the Stanley. I appreciate hearing your comments.

We hope you have an opportunity to return and enjoy the summer season as well!

Reviewed 25 May 2012

It's been on my daughter's bucket list to stay at the Stanley and do some ghost-hunting, so we finally gave it a try.

The hotel is beautiful. Our rooms on the 2nd floor were MUCH larger and nicer than I expected based on other reviews. The beds were comfy with great linens. The entire place was very charming.

While ghost-hunting on the 4th floor -where it is said they mostly reside, we saw inside some of those rooms. They were very hot and very tiny. I'd recommend NOT staying on the 4th floor unless your ghost-enthusiam makes it absolutely necessary! The rooms on the lower floors are much cooler and bigger.

Yes, we paid top dollar to stay there. It was expensive but I think it was worth it for a night. If you are going to Estes for more than 1 night and want to give the Stanley a try, stay there one night and then move for a more economical, "rustic" cabin on the river. :)

Even if you don't stay there, take the ghost tour that the hotel offers. It's a lot of fun and very infomative!

1  Thank Susanf31

Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent visit!

We truly appreciate hearing from you and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

We hope you will return to the Stanley again very soon.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I understand the historical aspect of the stanley hotel as well as it's landmark status. But you really pay a premium to stay here and get very little for your dollars. I've had 2 seperate meetings at this location and the surroundings and atmosphere may be worth the price to some, but I have found that staying at one of the other smaller hotels will give you much more. The food at the stanley is very high priced but it is billed is a high class dining experience. If money is no object and you like the idea of staying in a museum then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Try to get a lower floor on the front of the building. You won't have to ride the death comtrac...
Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2012

Thanks very much for your comments. I truly appreciate hearing from you.

I would welcome the opportunity to further discuss with you so I can better understand in this important area of value.

mcarsch@stanleyhotel.com

Reviewed 18 May 2012

First, hotel looks appealing from the outside. Room rates are expensive. There is no air conditioning so when you check in you are greeted by a stifling room. By the time you move a crib into one of the suites itis like a wipeout episode. Our room was next to the elevator which is cute. At night though what may be interpreted as a ghost is really the elevator banging all night. Expensive way to listen to a bunch of ghost hunters hushing each other down the hall while the elevator slams away. Better places in Estes park I am sure.

• Stayed: May 2012
6  Thank Holob1
Michael C, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2012

Thanks very much for your comments regarding your recent visit to the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the noise issue you experienced while a guest in our hotel.

We take every comment very seriously and I assure you that I have already discussed with our property engineer the possible resolution of the problem. It is true that the Stanley is a historic property over 100 years old however there are certain issues that we can always improve.

Again, thanks very much for staying with us and if you will allow us to be of service again, I would be pleased to handle your reservation personally and insure the comfort of your stay.

mcarsch@stanleyhotel.com