“Expected much much more.”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 13 August 2012

First time visit. Pulled up to the man at the entrance and he instructed me to drive to the parking lot behind the hotel. Parking lot was packed, seems a wedding was booked that day. Went to the second tier parking lot and the only space was in front of these small white buildings. Lugged our luggage down a flight of stairs to what appears as the entrance with a canopy. Aha! leads to the busy restaurant which we had to walk through to get to the main desk.
Apparently, we parked our car in front of the "condos" where we weren't supposed to park and I had to move my car. No signs posted. Had to walk through a tour to get to our room, key wouldn't work and bags of dirty laundry in front of our door. No air conditioning so we had to open our windows and listen to the loud wedding party until 2am.

Room Tip: Visit the hotel and sleep somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dsignbob
Dswanson30, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

We are extremely sorry that we did not meet or exceed your expectations and understand your frustrations regarding the signage. We are in the middle of changing the signage and are working to provide better direction around the property. We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Stanley Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2012

No air conditioning. Very loud in the rooms with all the ghost tours going on. Pool was great, and the scenery is awesome. I recommend checking out the Stanley but sleeping somewhere else. Restaurant was just ok, ghost tour was so so also.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Don75505217405139
Dswanson30, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Thank you very much for your comments on the property. We are truly sorry that we did not live up to your expectations and will make every effort to correct the areas of concern. The newly remodeled Lodge at The Stanley does not have tours going through the property and is ideal for a relaxing stay on your next visit to Estes Park.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

This is truly a beautiful hotel in a stunning location. It's historic architecture and lobby are a genuine pleasure. The bar is worth a visit alone. However, the room we were originally assigned was a shoebox and into this we were expected to fit a fold up bed for our 11 year old son. This made the room totally unfeasible (ie, having to climb over one another to get to the bathroom. This could also have had far-reaching consequences in the event of an emergency). The staff, however, redeemded themselves by assigning us a much larger room the next day. It must be pointed out, however, that all rooms on the forth floor do not have air conditioning, therefore it was impossible to sleep in the 89 degree heat!! In contrast, the swimming pool was freezing cold and impossible to use. Hot water in our bathroom was intermittant and the shower tepid, at best. There were no tea or coffee facilities in the room. We would recommend this as a hotel for a dinner and one night stay but find a more modern hotel for a longer stay in Estes Park.

Room Tip: Do not book a "classic" if more than 2 are staying. Do not expect modern hotel convenienc...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MarthaMonkey

Hello and thank you for your email. As you pointed out, our Classic Rooms are some of the smaller rooms in the main building and ideal for 1-2 people. However, we do feature larger rooms that can accommodate additional people for the next time you stay in Estes Park. We are truly sorry for your experience with the pool and hot water and will make sure to fix those going forward.

Reviewed 11 August 2012

As a kid in the 80s I visited the Stanley several times, including for a Christmas party in one of the front ballrooms. Later my wife and I were engaged at the Stanley. Moving forward about 15 years, and after spending a week camping and driving Jeep trails, I decide we'd spend our last night in the Rockies at the Stanley Hotel in a room with a view of the mountains.

We arrived with my Jeep rather dirty, including us and all of our gear. We "picked out" a bellman we saw near the parking lot. I'm not sure if he was busy doing something else, but he was very friendly and waited while I attempted to pull things out of a very tightly packed Jeep that needed to go up to our room (as the tent and camping gear did not). I nicely tipped him for his service.

The front desk was very pleasant, but made the remark to me, "Have you stayed here before?" as if we looked like we had not. As I said, we weren't the cleanest couple checking in and didn't smell so good, so no offense! I just found that amusing. On the way up in the small, classic old elevator, when we pushed our way on, an older woman basically rolled her eyes first thinking we were tourists. But my Jeep is probably cooler then anything she showed up in. (lol)

Positives:
Dinner, the hotel's restaurant, and the setting with the view out back was excellent. We had a romantic dinner together with a bottle of wine (Penfolds Bin 407). The food really was first class and our compliments to the chef.
Breakfast and restaurant staff were as well excellent.
Be sure to sit outside in front in the morning before the tour busses show up and enjoy the quietness and the view of Estes Park below and of the park.
Bed was very comfortable and the room and furniture were classy.
Entire hotel was charming and just cool to walk around, explore and look at the pictures.
Any wife will love this place. Dress up and live big.

Negatives:
The endless tours. I was surprised that they didn't end the tours at the 4:00 pm check-in? I was dodging tourists left and right. I can imagine how challenging that gets for the staff to realize who is a guest and how is just a tourist? Then right away in the morning, the tours were back on! That would get old if I was staying there for multiple days/nights.
Towels needed fabric softener. I've had softer towels at a Holiday Inn Express.
Although we enjoyed sitting at the bar having a drink before calling it a night, the service was lacking (which is the typical reputation for Colorado mountain towns).
I asked to have assistance with getting my luggage out of my room. No one ever showed up. Being the summer season, they were probably just shorted staff (or their staff was all tied up with giving tours).

The three of us will be back in a few years.

Room Tip: Ask for room 217.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your return visit to The Stanley! We are happy to have hosted you for another stay. We appreciate your constructive comments regarding the service and in-room product and will make efforts to work on those points. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Stayed for two nights in the Lodge. Nicer rooms, good breakfast and afternoon tea incl. Tips:: ask for a corner room, better airflow to cool the room. Ask for the loung menu and have dinner on the veranda. Stay away from first floor rooms, they are too close to parking. Only negatives: the pool is ice cold and the rooms are always a bit overpriced. But still one of the best places to stay in town.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 August 2012

What a wonderful time we had , experiencing a gone by era staying at the Stanley, the staff takes time to make everything special from Breakfast to late night caps!!!!
Enjoy the pool, the bar, the grounds, and make sure you visit the Stanley museum, this man was something else!!

Room Tip: There are no bad one !!!!
Reviewed 9 August 2012

There is NO air conditioning and the price of the room and dinner were WAY TOO MUCH to spend on what you get. I was so excited to stay here - with all the ghost stories and such. The look of the hotel fits the bill and the view off the porch really is great. Here are my biggest complaints in order:
1 - The room was over 85 degrees - all day all night - and their stupid little fans do nothing to cool you off. When we mentioned it to the front desk - they said the rooms always stay above 85 degrees.
2 - Dinner service was just awful - the food was fine. The drinks were fine. The bill was super expensive and a rip off. The kitchen was fast but the waiter was so slow - and there were only 5 tables full. The table next to us had to get up to show the bartender how to make a dirty martini!! We overheard him say he would fire his staff if they got it wrong THREE times.
3 - It's a tourist trap - there are (as a previous poster put it) HERDS and HERDS of people streaming through the hotel at all times. And outside your room door too... so no escape from it. Oh and we were told it's a wedding factory - with up to 5 weddings per weekend.
4 - You would think for $260 and a crappy room that they would throw in the $10 hotel tour!! Seriously?! BTW Here is a link to "touring" hotels - http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/07/travel/hotels-worth-touring/index.html?hpt=hp_c3 It's quite laughable that the Stanley is THE ONLY ONE TO CHARGE FOR A TOUR!! And by the way - the some of the other hotels only offer tours to their guests... brilliant for someone looking for a nice quiet getaway.
5 - There was a group there - meaning - they had a room block with a negotiated rate. Typically hotels reserve their worst rooms for people paying a discounted rate. Well somehow - we were paying FULL price and staying in what is probably one of their WORST rooms. I will attach the picture of the corner for you all to see our view!
I'll never say a good word about it and I'll never return. I also agree with that other poster - if the prices weren't so expensive - I probably wouldn't be so angry!

5  Thank BSFTravels