“A Little Diamond in The Rocky Mountains...Mystical Hotel”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The Stanley Hotel is a place I would highly recommend for anyone (single, married or family) if you were looking for a piece of the past with modern accommodations. I went there for a short get away the week of my Birthday Oct 7-11th and it was fantastic.

This hotel is not only surrounded by God's creation of the beautiful Rocky Mountains, wildlife, outdoor activities for one to explore, but it also offers a "welcome home mentality" of being very nostalgic, great hospitality by all staff and even the guest. I've traveled worldwide and appreciated the five star accommodations and I can say this hotel was able to deliver all my set expectation. In addition, whether you are traveling alone or not, it's amazing the people you meet from either within the wonderful state of Colorado, across the good old USA, but also around the world. Everyone I met were very cordial, which even carries more deep meaning to the relaxing atmosphere this hotel must bring out in people.

I want to thank all the staff at the hotel, the hotel receptionist were very helpful in extending my stay, and had a lot of recommendations of events; such as; horse back riding at the National Park Gateway Stables; drive/hiking through the Rocky Mountains, spa, local shopping, and of course ghost tours, all of which I did and rate each of them a 5 star too. The Bell Hop service was fabulous; I did not have to worry about my luggage, even during room changes. Most of all I want to thank the Restaurant Staff and Bar Tenders, as they helped me feel very relaxed with great service and good laughter and making my Birthday extra special.

Overall, if you’re looking for a unique experience and want to take in the hospitality of having a great time, I would recommend The Stanley Hotel. You never know what you might experience day or night.... it’s a legendary hotel that leaves an everlasting impression.

Angie

Room Tip: I had room 236 (large clean King Bed) my first 3 nights, which faces the front and directly across f...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Wow! Nothing makes me more proud to hear of an experience similar to yours while you were at our property! We try very hard to deliver exceptional service and am thrilled that you were able to experience across all facets of our property! Hopefully, we get to play your host again in the future! Thank you so much for your business!

Reviewed 19 October 2012

My sister and I stayed here when looking for a wedding venue. The hotel is lovely and historic. However, for the $300 + a night you will pay to stay here they are missing out on the little things that make that price worth paying. There were no robes in the room. We forgot razor and when we got one at the front desk, it was the worst, cheapest one I have ever gotten even from a low end hotel chain. The ghost stuff in intriguing. However, the one restaurant they have is very expensive for the quality and there is no reasonable option for food on site unless you just want a muffin or coffee. So I am glad we had the experience but won't stay again. I don't mind paying a lot for hotel rooms, but I want the extras to go with the price.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your recent visit, and we appreciate the time to provide your constructive feedback. I am glad you had an enjoyable time and your comments regarding the amenities are certainly helpful. Thank you again for your business.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Most folks who come to the Stanley are interested in the history and ghost stories and those people will not be disappointed. If you are looking for modern facilities, smooth service, and fancy five star amenities, you are in the wrong spot. The Stanley purposely does not update the room fixtures or furniture, the area carpets are worn and the rooms are drafty. This all contributes to the weird creepy feeling that comes over you as you turn off the bad lighting to go to bed at night. The perks are a gorgeous location in the Rockies and an incredible fun story to tell all your friends when you come home!

Room Tip: Friends who have stayed at the Stanley agree with us - do not expect to get a good nights rest.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback as it helps us continually improve our product and service. We do have an amazing setting with the Rockies surrounding us, and hope you have fond memories that you have shared with your friends! Thank you again for your business.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

Found the actual bedroom a bit lacking in character, which was disappointing as I was hoping to be scared out of my brains by the spookiness of it all! We were in the lodge, so no idea what the rooms are like in the main hotel, but it was too expensive for us to consider.

Must mention the bed though - it was by far and away the most comfortable I've ever slept in, fabulous, so top marks for spending a bit more on a great mattress.

We had one dinner there, which was very pleasant, but pricey, so the 2nd night we went into Estes to try to find somewhere to eat. Not a brilliant experience as being off peak, quite a few places were closed, so it felt a bit depressing.

Breakfast at the hotel was excellent - made by Midge - I could have sat there and guzzled her food all day.

All in all, we had a great time in Estes and the Stanley and we definitely would return.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit and am pleased you had en enjoyable time. Midge and the beds in the Lodge are both fantastic! We are glad you made the long venture across the pond, and look forward to playing your host again in the future!

Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

The Stanley is a charming picture of a bygone era. Well maintained lobby, elevator, cute shop. Our room had a beautiful view. The room was ample sized but NO chair! The heat was impossible to control and ceiling fan chains were impossible to reach. Upon further review the fan was LOADED with thick dust. On a cold, snowy day it would be very inviting, but not sleeping temperatues!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank indianasassysue1

Thank you for your recent visit, I have shared your feedback appropriately with our staff so that we may continue to improve. I am glad that you had a great time at our property and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Greeted first morning of stay with a cold shower. Took 24 hours to get water temperature to "hot water". Not a table in this "historic room" to set a lap top on to get some work done! Lighting in bathroom made a close shave impossible, again plan on setting your toiletries on the floor, no place else to set them. For $249.00 a night, one would expect some ammenities - forget it! Service at this hotel was average at best... male bar tender lost in space... must park in the rear to register, no valet and schlept your own bags. Avg. 30 biz. hotel stays per year. Pass on this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank John C
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2012

Thank you for your feedback and we appreciate yours and the conference's business. We have used your comments to make appropriate adjustments in the room, as well as address with each department on our level of guest service. I appreciate you taking the time to provide this constructive criticism, thank you again for your business.

Reviewed 14 October 2012

Lots of places to sit around and converse or stroll the grounds. Great location near shopping stores and restaurants. We stopped in Cascades for a cocktail, my husband is still raving about their blood mary's, I had a flight of wine. No AC in the room but we didn't need it, Great view and sound of the waterfall from our room. Historic and haunted ....we had fun with that. Loved the Spa ub, so relaxing! We spotted elk and deer around town... it was so exciting. Drove though Rocky Mountain National Park. Had breakfast at Egg and I. Surprisingly Great!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Our bacon bloody mary's are certainly fantastic (I love the candied bacon), and our bar team does a great job being innovative! I am happy that you and your husband had a fantastic time while here, and we hope to see you again in the near future! Thank you so much!