“The Stanley Hotel isn't haunted!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #14 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Greeley, Colorado
“The Stanley Hotel isn't haunted!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2012

Well it may be but I didn't see any ghosts. It is a beautiful hotel in Estes Park, close to the entry to Rocky Mountain National Park. The hotel is a period hotel with a beautiful winding stair case at the center of the lobby. This is perfect if you want to have a wedding there. The food in the restaurant and bar was fabulous, the scenery divine. One thing to consider is the elevation, if you are from someplace closer to sea level you will want to take it easy walking or hiking and drink lots of water. The quaint town of Estes Park is just a short drive away, and there are plenty of places to eat. The real crowning jewel is the National Park, whether fall, spring or summer it is magnificent. It is pretty much closed during the winter. Most years Estes has a relatively mild winter with tubing in the hills and winter is a great time of year to catch the sales in the tourist shops that are open. There are so many things to say about the place it is difficult to stop.

Room Tip: Room 217 is the room featured in Steven Kings, "The Shining", but reserve early if you wan...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
We are so pleased that you had a memorable experience at our property! You are very correct that acclimating can be difficult- I found myself breathing heavy walking up the stairs! The surroundings here are beautiful, it never gets old looking out the front windows! Thank you again for your business, and we hope to see you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (806)
Bridgman, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

For the price paid for the Stanley Hotel- there is nothing special to report. I would suggest taking a tour of the hotel and save your money by staying elsewhere. The rooms are small and dated. It is almost, no, IT IS impossible to find food later in the evening (around 8:30-9) at the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PracticingTourist
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thank you for your business, and we appreciate your feedback. Our tour team does a fantastic job of providing entertainment as well as history. I am disappointed to hear that at our property it was difficult to accomodate your hunger, because our restaurant does serve food into the late evening. I have shared your comments appropriately with our staff. Thank you again for your visit.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2012

The hotel and service was fine. However, there is no quite hours. On our visit, college aged students stayed up all night, running up and down the halls dressed as "ghost busters", keeping the guests up all night long. We payed a premium to stay at this hotel and had to put up with that crap. These people had no respect for nobody, even when we asked them to allow us to sleep. There are no ghosts, just idiots.

1 Thank Reggie L
Thank you for your recent visit, and I am very sorry to hear that a special occasion was disrupted by unruly guests. I would encourage you to call to our guest services team, so that we may address the situation accordingly and escalate if need be. If that was attempted, and we were unable to resolve then my further apologies, but I did not see any indication of this in our daily recap. We certainly appreciate your business and can assure you that this is not the norm. Thank you for providing your feedback, and would ask that you contact me directly should you like a future reservation.
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

The Stanley did a FABULOUS job on the Shining Ball (Halloween Celebration) this year - INCREDIBLE decorations, EXCELLENT food & FUN music! Just the right number of people in attendance with good flow in room, lobby, bar, etc. Staff was friendly & on top of the details! A GREAT time was had by all! We'll be back...

2 Thank Brecke D
I couldn't agree with you more, I was able to dress up and work the event, and the costumes that all of our guests had were amazing! I am so happy that you had a great time and we will see you again next year! Thank you so much for your visit!
Piedmont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

Had a great time. The Service was great., we stayed in room 416 and it had great views from the windows. A few ghost visiting ,one turned off our bathroom light , and another shaking our bed at 1:30 in morning and waking us both up.Was a great time and we will be back again.

3 Thank janeta47
I would be scared if my bed was shaking! Many people come for the paranormal experience and it sounds like you had a great one! We look forward to seeing you again in the future! Thank you so much for your business.
estes park
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2012

I spent three wonderful days at the Stanley Hotel Labor Day week 2012 in the main hotel in a superior king mountain view room that faces the front of the hotel. I wanted to come back to the Stanley over Thanksgiving 2012, have a great buffett and retire to our room. I have a 20 year old cat that needs daily meds, so I called to try make reservations at the Lodge next door. After reading your pet policy from the Stanley Hotel website it never metioned dogs only, no cats or I wouldn't have bothered even calling. I did have a question about what types of tubs are available at the Lodge facilities, so I called the Stanley Hotel's reservation number from the Stanleyt Hotel website. I first asked what rooms might have jacuzzi tubs like the one I had in the superior king room on my previous stay in the main hotel and would these type of rooms allow pets as I have a cat and I could not tell from the Stanley website what type of tubs were in the rooms at the Lodge. The reservationist said we dont take cats, anthing else. That was the end of the conversation. It was just rude. Whomever you are using for your booking, they are far too busy to tell you anything about your hotel. I had this same negative experience when I booked my Labor Day week stay. Get a different group or book it yourself. I liked the staff at your hotel when I got there, just not your booking service. As for your dog only policy, please update your website that you only cater to the furry friends of the canine variety. My cat is shaved just because it hard for an older pet to groom itself so it does not smell and does not shed. I never even got to discuss this with anyone from your hotel. Sorry that I was not able to spend Thanksgiving at your hotel. You can do better.

Room Tip: Pet policy caters to dogs only not a cat friendly hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank l90001l
Thank you for your feedback, although I am disappointed that our team was unable to answer your questions in an appropriate manner. We have used your comments as a training tool for our reservation staff, and further made our website more clear that we allow the canine breed. We would love to host you again in the future, please reach out to me directly. Thank you again.
gowczarzak
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

My freinds and I stayed at the hotel because it is so close to Rocky Mt. National Forest. We were all fans of the movie but not the reason for our stay. The staff has a tour of the hotel every hour. It was interesting but again not a reason to stay there. We were there in October so many of the guests were superfans. Many costumes and odd people around. If you have the chance I would recomend the hotel but not because of the movie just an added bonus.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent stay, and I am thrilled that you had a great time! We do enjoy many superfans here, unfortunately you missed our Shining Ball weekend, because there are many exotic and creative superfans! We hope to see you again in the future!