Stanley Hotel
Discovery Lodge(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$165
Quality Inn Estes Park(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$238
US$190
QualityInn
Murphy's Resort at Estes Park(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$171
The Estes Park Resort(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$286
US$278
Alpine Trail Ridge Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$177
Hotel Estes(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$164
Appenzell Inn(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$152
Nicky's Resort(Estes Park)(Great Value!)
US$166
Silver Moon Inn(Estes Park)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
2,834 results
All reviewsghost tourstephen kingcascades restaurantwhiskey barbeautiful hotelthe main hotelfourth floorhaunted roomghost huntersparanormal activityhaunted hotelscary maryconcert hallgreat historybucket listnight tourhotel tour
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Overall we had a good stay at the Stanley and got a decent rate because we stayed on a Sunday night.

I'll cover the good things first:
- We loved learning about the history of the Stanley and the hotel is really beautiful. Estes Park is also a beautiful place.
- Parking was easy - we didn't have to wait to long to go through the gate.
- We spent quite a bit of time watching the Broncos play at the hotel bar. We had a great bartender who talked with us a lot. We ended up just ordering dinner at the bar.
- There were people running around the halls late at night (the bad), but we called the front desk and they took care of it promptly (the good).
- Check out was a breeze because we didn't have any extra costs.

The not so good things:
- The computer system was down when we got there to check in (or so the gal thought). She was informed that it was back up and attempted to check us in. The computer froze. So we sat in the lobby for about 20 min waiting for it to come back up - no big deal. Problem was no one told us when it was back up and we realized it on our own after we saw people checking in.
- We got our keys and room number and were about to get in the elevator when we were chased down by the gal at the front desk. They gave us the wrong room. Fine. We re-checked-in and were given a new room. I am guessing all the rooms are small, but I'm pretty sure this was the smallest in the hotel. I had high hopes they gave us a better room since they switched our rooms and had trouble checking us in - not the case. And none of the lights or tv worked. We had to call the front desk (the phone still worked) and get maintenance to come up and go into the breaker box to get electricity to our room. Luckily that was taken care of quickly. Back to the part about the room being tiny. I hit my head at least 5 times on the ceiling, which was slanted over our bed. I'm 5'10 (so not short, but not super tall). I ended up having to worm my way out of the bottom of the bed to stand up.
- The waitstaff seemed a bit immature. A lot of times when they would come up to the bar with an order from a table, they would talk trash about the people there. It was just a bit unprofessional since we were sitting right there.
- I think a ghost tour should be included (like a lot of other people on here), but oh well. I got to hear a large chunk of it when they would pass by the outside of our room anyways!

Overall we had a pretty good time there. Was it spectacular, no. But it was good. You do pay a lot of money for what you get, but I guess it's more about the history of the hotel. We would probably suggest the hotel to friends in family to try out once - probably in the off season (I can't imagine what the busy summers are like).

Room Tip: If you're tall try no to get a room on the 4th floor. The slanted ceiling made it a painful experience for me!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2012

Thank you for your valuable feedback, and we have shared your comments with our entire staff as a learning tool. I apologize that we were not cognizant of your waiting in the lobby after the systems became enabled. You are correct, the historic construction of the hotel creates a smaller ceiling on the fourth floor; however, there is a bit of history to this as it was used solely for the nanny's and children many moons ago. We appreciate your business very much, and am glad that you had an overall enjoyable time.

Reviewed 31 October 2012

Well it may be but I didn't see any ghosts. It is a beautiful hotel in Estes Park, close to the entry to Rocky Mountain National Park. The hotel is a period hotel with a beautiful winding stair case at the center of the lobby. This is perfect if you want to have a wedding there. The food in the restaurant and bar was fabulous, the scenery divine. One thing to consider is the elevation, if you are from someplace closer to sea level you will want to take it easy walking or hiking and drink lots of water. The quaint town of Estes Park is just a short drive away, and there are plenty of places to eat. The real crowning jewel is the National Park, whether fall, spring or summer it is magnificent. It is pretty much closed during the winter. Most years Estes has a relatively mild winter with tubing in the hills and winter is a great time of year to catch the sales in the tourist shops that are open. There are so many things to say about the place it is difficult to stop.

Room Tip: Room 217 is the room featured in Steven Kings, "The Shining", but reserve early if you want to stay in it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

We are so pleased that you had a memorable experience at our property! You are very correct that acclimating can be difficult- I found myself breathing heavy walking up the stairs! The surroundings here are beautiful, it never gets old looking out the front windows! Thank you again for your business, and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 30 October 2012

For the price paid for the Stanley Hotel- there is nothing special to report. I would suggest taking a tour of the hotel and save your money by staying elsewhere. The rooms are small and dated. It is almost, no, IT IS impossible to find food later in the evening (around 8:30-9) at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PracticingTourist
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Thank you for your business, and we appreciate your feedback. Our tour team does a fantastic job of providing entertainment as well as history. I am disappointed to hear that at our property it was difficult to accomodate your hunger, because our restaurant does serve food into the late evening. I have shared your comments appropriately with our staff. Thank you again for your visit.

Reviewed 30 October 2012

The hotel and service was fine. However, there is no quite hours. On our visit, college aged students stayed up all night, running up and down the halls dressed as "ghost busters", keeping the guests up all night long. We payed a premium to stay at this hotel and had to put up with that crap. These people had no respect for nobody, even when we asked them to allow us to sleep. There are no ghosts, just idiots.

1  Thank ReggieL987

Thank you for your recent visit, and I am very sorry to hear that a special occasion was disrupted by unruly guests. I would encourage you to call to our guest services team, so that we may address the situation accordingly and escalate if need be. If that was attempted, and we were unable to resolve then my further apologies, but I did not see any indication of this in our daily recap. We certainly appreciate your business and can assure you that this is not the norm. Thank you for providing your feedback, and would ask that you contact me directly should you like a future reservation.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

The Stanley did a FABULOUS job on the Shining Ball (Halloween Celebration) this year - INCREDIBLE decorations, EXCELLENT food & FUN music! Just the right number of people in attendance with good flow in room, lobby, bar, etc. Staff was friendly & on top of the details! A GREAT time was had by all! We'll be back...

2  Thank Brecke D

I couldn't agree with you more, I was able to dress up and work the event, and the costumes that all of our guests had were amazing! I am so happy that you had a great time and we will see you again next year! Thank you so much for your visit!