“An endless mess hall.”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #15 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I recently stayed here at this awesomely placed manor on the hill in the middle of Estes park, a town I had visited as a child. Now in my mid30's and my second million on the way, I decided I wanted to stay. I payed a cool 399 on a haunted room but nothing happened? I also noticed how unwell the grounds were kept. The brass was weathered beyond the look of repair outside and inside their elevator. The resteraunt we went to check out looked as if it wasn't vacuumed for days with proof of previous guests meals scattered around the floor. I'm surprised I saw no rats. I wondered if there was even a manager there to speak with but employees dodged my eye like the plague at the front desk, near tours and the restraunt. I don't think their price was worth it due to the fact that it was a mess. Everywhere. Nothing can drive me away like that, but if you don't mind being up to your mid thigh in filth stop here and check out their veranda!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank Marriotfan
There are newer reviews for Stanley Hotel

Reviewed 5 April 2013

We initially decided to visit the Stanley because of its association with The Shining, and because we had read about its opulence and service. We have not been disappointed on any of our four stays. Understanding that this hotel is historic and therefore has its quirks (no air conditioning, creaky floors, stiff windows), we have always been impressed with the service and friendliness of the staff. Every employee greets us with a smile, even when they pass us in the parking lot after their shift. The atmosphere is nothing like any other hotel, whether you're looking for paranormal or class.

Regarding the paranormal, we have had experiences on each visit that add to the fun of staying at the Stanley. From footsteps and shadows, to our bodies being manipulated and items being moved, this hotel is filled with activity. The ghosts were the reason we tried the Stanley, but the overall experience and exceptional service are what keep bringing us back!

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms tend to be warmer due to heat rising from the other floors. Second and Third floo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I would like to start by saying that I was initially extremely excited to stay in this hotel. I had read how it was the inspiration behind "The Shining" and has been featured on Ghost Hunters for its paranormal activity. The hotel is beautiful in a completely creepy sort of way.
Checking in: The main entrance is now in the back so when you walk in you don't know exactly where to go. When we found where to check in there was a bit of a mix up with our reservation. We booked a ghost package online and received a military discount. The ghost package included a room on the fourth floor (the haunted floor), a coffee mug per person, an emf meter, and a squishy ghost. Apparently, you cannot book a package and receive a discount and we were only able to do it because it was a "computer glitch". We were extremely confused by this, but the person working the host desk didn't have a superior available to speak to about our issue. We had scheduled a ghost tour we didn't want to be late for, so we kind of had to deal with it and come back later. We eventually straightened it out and received our emf meter, but we did not have it in time for our ghost tour which was disappointing. FYI I don't suggest wasting your money on the emf meter.. Didn't really work even on things it should've picked up a reading on.
The Ghost Tours: The ghost tour was neat because you got access to areas of the hotel that are roped off. They also give more insight about the property and the history. We took the 6 o'clock ghost tour. We wanted to take the 8 o'clock one but were not able to get into it. The tours run in about groups of 20, there were many younger kids in our tour and a number of people not taking it very seriously. We didn't see much of anything, and it was hard to take pictures without someone walking through your picture. We managed to get a few really creepy pictures. We heard that a young girl was scratched by "something" in the second 8pm tour. Regardless, the tour was cool and if you stay here you definitely need to go on at least one of their tours.
Our Room: We stayed in room 426. Apparently room 426 use to be part of room 428, which is a haunted room who is known to have a visitor whom they call "The Cowboy". Our room was extremely small, but it had its charms. However, after staying one night in this room I can assure you I will never stay in that building again. While it was really amazing to see the history, and go on a ghost hunt, the more reasonable side of me who enjoys sleeping out weighs the positives. The building is old, the floor boards creak, you can hear through the walls, and the pipes in the walls are constantly making noise. In our room there was a constant tapping in the walls about every fifteen-twenty minutes, and the toilet wouldn't quit running from about 2am-4am. Call it paranormal activity if you want, but I call it old plumping that is due for an upgrade! We also found dirty cups that someone left in the closet, and someones dirty tissue in the bathroom. After a sleepless night I went to take a hot shower and the shower started to flood because the drain doesn't drain very quickly. Going back to the squeaky floor boards; being on the 4th floor which is known for its activity, we had people walking the halls ways most of the night ghost hunting. The constant traffic did not make for a relaxing time. Also, there is NO air-conditioning. The room was extremely hot! The thermostat said 76... I couldn't sleep in the heat (and it was snowing outside!)
The Cascade Restaurant: This place is awesome. After a long day of ghost touring and tromping around in the snow, this place hit the spot. Their food is pretty good, but the best part is there wide selection of bourbon and whisky and all their drinks for that matter. The bartender was nice but kind of spacey. He seemed preoccupied and forgot about us a few times, but their bar manager, I believe his name was Jimmy fully made up for it! He shared a ton of information with us about whisky, which we found interesting and enjoyable. He was a cool guy. Everyone should make a stop in the bar for a drink.
Paranormal Activity: We were able to get two pictures that gave me the creeps! And the tapping, running toilet water, and heavy foot steps... Not sure. I chose to blame the old building and old pipes. One thing that really creeped me out was constantly getting shocked. My boyfriend and myself were constantly shocked only on the fourth floor. And when I say shocked, I'm not talking about a little zap. Every time one of us touched the door handle, light switch, or even each other we were zapped so hard you could visibly see the little bolt of electricity. There was a story about a housekeeper who did not like unwed couples sharing a room, so I'm not sure if we were being punished or if it was a fluke!
If you're looking for history/paranormal activity, stay here. Just keep in mind that its not the most comfortable place to stay. Don't expect much sleep!

Room Tip: Stay in the Manor House- less foot traffic! Beware of the fourth floor and heavy foot traffic- the c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ginamcap88
Reviewed 2 April 2013

This hotel is nothing short of amazing. Its historic ambiance and charm leave guests in awe of its beauty and history. As avid historical hotel lovers and Stephen King fans staying at this property only made sense, and we will be back.

We arrived at the hotel at 10 am on the day of our check-in and despite being completely booked the night before, and check out being at 11 am; the front desk and housekeeping had our rooms ready with in 60 minutes. This was above and beyond anything we were expecting. We stayed on the third floor and our rooms were well appointed, clean and very comfortable.

We ate at the Cascades restaurant several times and each time we were very impressed (the nachos were AMAZING). The selection of single malt and blended scotch whiskey, as well as wine, is amazing. The bar tenders and servers in the restuarnt are top notch.

We took the history and ghost tour and I would recommend it to any guest who stays at this property.

We traveled over 4,000 miles just to visit the Stanley Hotel and we will be back. Our only regret is that we did not stay longer. Sitting on the front veranda of this magnificent hotel with a glass of wine and awe-inspiring views is the pinnacle of rest and relaxation.

My only note of caution to guests looking to stay at this hotel is to please be reminded that this is a very famous, historical landmark. As such there is a good deal of non-guest traffic and the lobby is frequently busy with visitors that are not staying at the hotel. It’s not a problem as the hotel staff does their best to keep non-guests off the guest floors, but it does get busy and during the summer months the hotel sees upward to 1,000 non-guest visitors a day! Once you go, you will see why.

This hotel is a must see. You never know who you will meet, with new and interesting guests checking in and out all the time, and those guests who checked long ago but never checked out…

In closing... Rooms 217, 401 and 418 are available for rent. Just call the hotel and ask. It is a myth that the waiting list for these rooms is very lengthy. We had the option to rent these infamous rooms but opted for larger rooms on the 3rd floor.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Wow! Thank you for you amazing feedback, 4000 miles is one heck of a trip! I am so pleased that every aspect of your stay exceeded your expecations, and you also gave some great advice to future guests! We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I chose this hotel because I love The Shining as well as Dumb and Dumber. Although the hotel is just the inspiration for the book and looks nothing like the Kubrick film, it's quite beautiful and creepy at the same time.

We arrived on a stormy evening which allowed our imaginations to take us back to the god old days as children sharing ghost stories around a campfire. This hotel isn't intended to be a "haunted" destination, but the staff embraces the folklore and conducts haunted tours of the building.

The rooms were excellent. We stayed in the cheaper rooms on the top floor. There is a constant loop of "The Shining" playing on the tv. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Dumb and Dumber was also partly filmed in this Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iwannatravelnow
Reviewed 2 April 2013

The Stanley Hotel is a wonderful historic landmark that thousands come to see every year. It was a great experience to stay the night (in one of the unhaunted rooms of course) and privacy was maintained for hotel guests in that visitors/tourists are not allowed in the upper areas without an escort and the area is closed off in the evening for quiet hours. The staff were very friendly during our visit and the room was nice and cozy. One thing to take note of is additional fees on your invoice for tip on food services that can be hard to identify if not looked at closely or explained beforehand. We didn't have a problem with the charge in that it was a fair tip but have asked staff in the future to label it to be more easily identifiable and perhaps allow some flexibility in designating the tip amount ourselves. We will definitely be back to visit again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recent visit and making the drive up from Denver! I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and our staff made your stay enjoyable. We absolutely look forward to playing your host again!

Reviewed 1 April 2013

Everything was clean and all staff we came in contact with were friendly, helpful and courteous! Would recommend the Ghost Stories. Next time I want to take the night tour (I've already done the regular tour last year.)

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2013

I am happy to hear you had a great time! Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again soon!