“A Must Do in Estes Park”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Denver, Colorado
“A Must Do in Estes Park”
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We booked a one night stay at the Stanley Hotel and decided to dine in the Cascades Restaurant for dinner. ( I am reviewing them together since the restaurant is part of the hotel.)

The pros: The grounds of the hotel are beautiful! The historic hotel is beautiful on the inside, also. Parking was free and easy. From the front desk staff to the bar staff to the dining staff, everyone was incredibly friendly and helpful. Other than one issue mentioned below, we really liked our corner room on the second floor (Room 216). We enjoyed sleeping with the window open and we could hear the waterfall in the courtyard area. The "Ghost Tour" @ 9:15 was a lot of fun. If you don't mind a 15(ish) minute walk downhill, you can get to the riverwalk area of Estes Park without taking your car. (Obviously, you are walking uphill coming back, which is more difficult!)

Cons: Our room (#216) was at the end of a hallway next to a door to the outside that the staff uses. The door was slammed multiple times with staff going in and out. The bar staff was a lot of fun but we were overcharged at the bar and had to go back to get it corrected. We had placed an order for an appetizer at the bar and it never arrived, so we had it sent to our dinner table. Our server in the dining room was very nice but completely disappeared at times and forgot to place our soup order and we received our main course prior to the soup arriving. She offered to still bring the soup and not charge us but it took another 30 minutes to arrive.

One more general tip: This may be specific to the room we stayed in but...I didn't find the hairdryer in the room until I had accepted the fact that I had to air dry my hair. It was in a drawer in the TV cabinet.

Would we go back? Absolutely! This is a lovely, historic hotel! Although there were a few errors in the bar/dining area, we want to come back take the "Stanley Tour" to gain additional knowledge of the history of the hotel. We just didn't have time to do it on this little trip.

Room Tip: Our corner room had two windows which would probably help on a warmer evening. However, you may get...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you for your great feedback and business! I am extremely happy to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations. We absolutely would love to play host again in the future. Thank you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Staying at the Stanley was on my bucket list. My sweet husband surprised me with a nights stay last week. The hotel itself lived up to my expectations. It's beautiful! I figured the rooms might be small and I wasn't surprised to find that there was no A/C. We had a room facing west and we were on the third floor. Our bathroom door wouldn't latch but that was no big deal. The worst thing about our stay was the heat and the light. At 10:00 p.m., our thermostat read 85 degrees. It cooled off to a frosty 78 by morning. It was too hot to sleep and we couldn't shut the drapes because we needed the air flow. In the morning, the light was blinding and we were woken by the sound of noisy guests outside in the courtyard.
The breakfast in the restaurant was pretty tasty but the coffee was awful! The hotel and restaurant staff were attentive and courteous.
All in all, it was a great experience. I wouldn't mind staying again sometime, but if I do you can be sure it will be during a cooler time of year and we'll request a room on the opposite side of the hotel as well as on a lower floor. I can't imagine paying full price, high season room rates just to be sleepless in Estes.

Room Tip: Plan your stay for the cooler, off season times of the year.
2 Thank doulajules
Thank you for your recent visit and feedback. I am happy to hear that you had an overall enjoyable time, and more importantly that our staff was most accomodating. We would love to have the opportunity to play your host in the future. Thank you again.
USA
Reviewed 19 June 2013

At the Stanley, The Cascades Restaurant gave us outstanding food and service for our 50th Wedding Anniversary Dinner. Planned by our grown children,the hotel printed specialized, individual menus for all attending. The guests had food choices, and different wines were served.

A top quality place, with a gourmet menu!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Congratulations on your Gold Anniversary! We were happy to share such a monumental event with you, and thank your children for organizing! Thank you so much.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I see a variety of reviews, most of which are positive, so maybe I'm an enigma, but I was not the fan I hoped I'd be.

I understand that when you book "historic", you're not going to have a lot of modern amenities, like air conditioning. And I did appreciate having a ceiling fan that worked along with a smaller fan that I plugged into the wall which kept me cooler. However, to get the cool air from outside, you have to leave the windows open and the drapes open, so you're greeted with extremely bright sun first thing - and I mean literally first thing, in the morning.

But it wasn't the end of the world. I was, however, disappointed that this very large, beautiful hotel had only one restaurant. Surprising. Food was good, too. I had a Bloody Mary and a Caesar salad, then later had a turkey wrap. Service was good both times. I also liked the band they had outside as the evening came on.

But what's the deal with the lack of amenities? Not even a shower cap? No directory about the hotel.....you always have those in the rooms. And I know this is a weird thing to complain about, but the bathroom sink was made from metal and had a very strong metallic smell when you ran water in it.

When I checked in, I found the staff to be accommodating and helpful. I'm sure they get very tired of repeating the same old thing, but this woman did not sound that way.

However, I did have a bit of a snippy person when I checked out. She rattled off the details of my bill and I had a difficult time understanding her, but I did hear "room service". I said I didn't have room service. She said, "Yes you did. It was for $____" (I forgot the amount.) I said, "No I didn't. I ate twice in the restaurant. The first time, my bill was about $20 plus tip and the 2nd time it was about $15 plus tip. I never had room service." She kept on and on arguing with me. I asked if she could print out the details that she was looking at and she said no. I said, "I've got to see what you mean." After asking her twice to print it out, she did and sure enough, it said, "Room service".

I said, "Look at the times. Why would I have eaten at 2p, 3p and 5p?" She said, "I don't know. But you did." I was getting pretty irritated by this point. I said, "Ok, the 2p one is the salad the drink. The 5p one is the wrap." She asked me if I had receipts and I said yes, but that they were in my suitcase and what difference did it make, since I had receipts for only 2 times of eating and I cannot produce a receipt for room service when I didn't have room service?

This went back and forth and I asked for a photocopy of my signature, but she could not provide that. Then we had this sorta staring contest, like if she stared at me long enough, I'd confess to having had room service. I wanted to tell her I didn't want to spend any time in the room I didn't have to, since it was 78 degrees in there.

She told me the times weren't accurate (which we later determined they were) and then after I said, "I'm NOT paying for room service" she looked at the details a little deeper and found that room service was actually where I purchased a mug and a ghost souvenir. I had forgotten about that, but I still stood my ground that I didn't have room service.

In the end, I apologized for not remembering the mug, but she did not say that was ok or acted the least bit apologetic for her part. I was really annoyed because I did NOT have room service and how was I supposed to know that room service was a souvenir when I did not have it delivered to the inferno room? Her attitude and demeanor were both irritating and almost dampened my mood. She was the only rude person I encountered during my entire stay in Colorado.

One other negative - the ledges along the wall in the bathroom (I was in room 332) were VERY dusty and dirty.

I will not return to this hotel, not because of the "Rude One" but because I think it's just a little too big for its britches. However, that being said, it really is pretty on the outside.

One more thing, I do highly recommend taking one of the tours. I took the ghost tour and found it very fascinating. I'm a little skeptical about ghosts, but there were some eerie things that happened on the tour. The guide was really informative and exciting. So you don't have to stay there to take the tour, so take the tour and find someplace nearby that you can pay the same amount for and have some of the value.

Room Tip: You can request a haunted room specifically, if you want.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Felicia D
Matthew_Lauzon, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2013
Thank you for your recent visit and constructive criticism, I am disappointed to learn that your otherwise nice stay ended in such a manner. We would absolutely love to have your repeat business; I have shared your review with our team, as it certainly helps us improve our service. I would ask that you reach out to me directly so that we may discuss this opportunity and potential future visits. Thank you again.
Sterling, Colorado
Reviewed 18 June 2013

My husband and I went to the Stanley Hotel for our Honeymoon and the only regret we have is that we couldn't stay longer! Besides the gorgeous surroundings, the security was the first thing I noticed. We were unable to get there until 3 am and were greeted by a member of security who rushed to open the doors for us because our hands were full. They had great security inside and out which made us feel very safe. The staff in every other area was wonderful as well and the Cascades restaurant was delicious! Their caesar salad is to die for! The rooms were beautiful and comfortable, the prices were reasonable, and there are so many fun things in the area to keep you busy. There is no AC but it was not hard to keep the room cool at all. We plan to go back soon just to do it all over again. Definitely worth your money!

Room Tip: The deluxe or superior rooms are larger if you are looking for something cheaper than a suite or con...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent visit, we are extremely happy to hear that we were able to share such a big moment in life with you. We will see you next year for your first anniversary! Thank you again!
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Stanley for my birthday. I was treated to champagne and chocolates in my room as well as very accommodating front desk staff. We also stayed in the condos for the last few days of our stay. I recommend them for families! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for staying with us for your birthday! I am happy to hear that our staff was very accomodating, I have shared your comments with our team. We look forward to your return visit, thank you again for your business!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 16 June 2013

This hotel is amazing. The history, the grace. If you enjoy staying in a beautiful old property, as we do, the Stanley is a must! That being said you can't expect the same sound proofing of a modern building, the floor creaks a little. But I would suggest that is part of the charm. We were in a delux king mountain view. The view was amazing, as was the room. Large, with really cool apparently antique furnishings. I really can't say enough about the property!

Management...well a bit of a different story. We checked in at 3 pm. There was a wedding on the front steps. Hotel guests were snuck in through a side door and not allowed to go into the lobby. We were then told we would have to wit to check in, as not to disturb the wedding party waiting to go outside. When I explained we had committments and needed to check in, we were again snuck around a back way to the desk. After checking we took a really cool elevator up to our room on the second floor (again not allowed to use the historic stairway, due to the Bride- and we're told we couldn't be on this floor other because of the wedding. I explained I was going to my room. We were followed in by other guests in the same situation.

Note to management. You have a really special property here. You might want to think about making guests feel welcomed. It was pretty surreal!

Al hat said, I still highly recommend the Hotel. The property outweighs the shoddy greeting the guests received on a Saturday afternoon!

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple