“Great location, Lots of Charm”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 28 October 2013

On a whim we decided to stay the evening to get an early start to Rocky Mountain National Park. Good choice - there was a wedding while we were there and it seems some of the guests were partying into the wee hours just down the hall from us. Last look at the clock was 2am and they were going strong. Otherwise, a nice stay, but not being in town for the wedding, I didn't expect to be kept awake by the guests. Walls of rooms are paper thin. Appropriately decorated for an historic inn. Lovely lobby, nice fireside lounging and terrific bar.

Didn't see any ghosts while we were there, but did see a herd of (female) elks grazing on the side lawn as we arrived! Awesome site!

Room Tip: Don't visit if you want a spa experience, it's closed right now...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TxAggieAndHisWife
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Glad you enjoyed the location and the charm of the Stanley Hotel. I was sorry to hear that you had a late night due to other guests. In the future, we do have security on site to respond to these incidences and keep everyone safe and quiet. We look forward to having you back in the future!

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Be sure to sit on the front porch in the late afternoon sun and watch the elk grazing in the front yard. The tour is fun too, although I would recommend that they shorten it to 60 minutes.

The location so close to town and to the main entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park is ideal.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thanks for your comments on your recent stay. Sitting on the front porch and enjoying that view is one of the best things ever! Majestic is the way I like to describe it. Glad you enjoyed the tour and thanks for the feedback on the timing.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

If you are visiting The Stanley for the ghosts our paranormal experiences you may be satisfied. It is old and a bit spooky looking. If you are expecting a grand old hotel in the tradition of The Grove Park Inn, Hotel del Coronado, or The Sagamore, you may be disappointed. I thought that's what I was paying for.

Our room was on the 4th floor in a dormer and was tiny. The bed was under the eaves and the person on that side of the bed had to be careful of the sloped ceiling. The bathroom was tiny as well. I once toured an old school where cloistered nuns had lived and the rooms reminded me of the sisters'rooms. Plus we sort of had to find our way from the parking lot across a ramp to a second floor door, then the elevator to the forth floor to our room. I did not figure out until the last day that there was a spa on site. I think they need a good marketing/customer service person. There also seems to be a lot of underutilized space, perhaps a hotel consultant could be of use.

The weather was unseasonably warm for October and our room was very warm even with no heat on. We kept our window open all day and night even when the evening temps dropped into the 30s. We were in the main building and I understand that the Lodge has been renovated. I did not go in there, maybe I should have. The main house seems to need a lot of renovation but perhaps that
would spoil the "spooky-ness". On the positive side, the rooms and hotel seemed clean and coffee in the basement shop was good.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank TravelTravel60
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for the feedback on your stay! These comments help us a lot with improving our product here and we are glad you shared with us. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The best time in a quality hotel! The bar was so fun and the energy was great- the ghost hunting added so much to the visit.The room was nice and slept very well, the staff was helpful and Estes Park shops were nice. In addition the elk were in the front yard as well as the RMNP!

Room Tip: The fourth floor was alot of fun with lots of ghost energy!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for the feedback on your stay! Glad to hear you had fun at the Cascades Whiskey Bar, ghost hunting and seeing the elk come up to the hotel. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Gorgeous historical hotel. Absolute gem and they offer tours, so a day trip is a great idea. The hotel is also very popular and active for ghost hunting. They offer ghost hunting tours and Lisa Nyhart, the ghost tour director, is amazing. Definitely recommend this location for a tour - day or night.

Downside: overpriced, underwhelming rooms. Ok amenities. Terrible service, bar and food.

Had to call three times when booking the room because they never sent me a confirmation email. First two times they had lost my reservation.

We stayed five days for a paranormal/ghost hunting event. Bar tender (woman with black spiky hair) was rude & unhelpful. When I ordered chicken fingers, she couldn't comprehend what chicken fingers were, then tried to tell me they didn't have any. I asked the other bartender who said, "Of course we have those." Came back 20 minutes later to pickup the order and the first bartender had never placed the order. Later that night she made our drink with call whiskey after we had requested Jack, and tried to charge us for the Jack. Multiple event attendees also mentioned to us that they had overheard her making fun of the event and attendees with other patrons.

Food is overpriced and tries to be gourmet, but is just overdone. Nothing normal on the menu at all. Cafe downstairs is absolutely atrocious. They were trying to pass off a slab of packaged flatbread bought at the Safeway and some lunchmeat thrown in the microwave as a gourmet sandwich. I've attached a picture of the sandwich to this review. Really embarrassing.

There was ice on the back patio for two days and it was never marked or salted. It looked like a puddle. I fell, and saw three other people fall on it as well.

Overall touring experience was absolutely amazing. Just don't recommend staying or eating here.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Jesse F, Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thank you for the feedback on your stay. I am glad to hear you had fun doing the paranormal investigation with Lisa! She is a great part of the team here. I was disappointed that the Cascades restaurant and the rest of your stay did not go as expected. Please feel free to email me directly at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com to discuss further.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

From the moment we checked in we received excellent guest service. It was a family trip and we made sure to see as much of the property as well as the town as possible. The tour guides we had made the history of come to life and we decided Hannah is now part of our family. Every member of the staff went out their way to make us comfortable. This is definitely a trip our family will be taking again.

Room Tip: Come ready for good times and explore the town of Estes, you will find great people and even better...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary M

Thank you for the feedback on your stay! Glad to hear you had fun on your tour and Hannah is a party of our family, so you can all be part of the Stanley family, now. We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Well I must admit we went at a bad time. Right after the flooding and when the gov shutdown, so the park was closed. Most shops and restaurants were closed. So we expected to feel welcomed at least in the hotel. Service was poor, we had to manage our own suitcases up four flights of stairs. Our bathroom was dirty and we were ignored when we asked for it to be cleaned. The menu served in the dining room was limited and when we asked the hostess what they were serving she shrugged and said take a seat and ask somebody else. The waiter seemed harried and forgetful. Brought us the wrong dessert after a very long time. On the third night we stayed in a haunted room. I must say, Andre at the front desk was very helpful in our moving rooms. He was very polished and gracious in an way we would expect from a fine hotel. Also the girls at the cafe were helpful and nice. Lord Dunraven did appear in our room and made the third night stay enjoyable. Upon checkout I was over charged by $750! The girl at the desk would not listen to my protest, it took the manager on staff to undo the several mistakes on my bill.

3  Thank Betty C

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. This is definitely an experience that should not happen when inquiring about tour bookings or staying at our hotel. Please contact me directly at jfreitas@stanleyhotel.com. My name is Jesse Freitas, Guest Services Manager and I would be happy to discuss this further.