“Local first time visitor”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Have lived near the Stanley for many years and finally stayed there. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room was comfortable and the breakfast at the Lodge was delicious. Really enjoyed the history tour and dinner at Cascades.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for taking a stay at The Stanley off your bucket list. Now that you know who we are, we look forward to seeing you at our hotel more often. Next time you come please ask about our Cascades Club for local guests!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Stanley is a historical hotel that does show its age in some areas. Some of the outside doors and ramps need PAINT and the landscape could use some serious attention. But the charm lies in the history and most of the inside of the hotel. The rooms in the LODGE are too small for a king size bed(not even a regular table chair would come out of the closet and fit in the room) but the king rooms in the original hotel are reason size and are comfortable. You must realize that there is no air conditioning and even in late May, the rooms can be quite warm but the fan provided in each room does help. The staff was generally helpful and we did enjoy our three day stay. The breakfast in the Cascade Room was really great. If you want history and the ability to say you stayed at the Stanley, know that it is worth it. If you want true history, comfort and outstanding service, go to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.

Room Tip: Do not book a king room in The Lodge part of the hotel, especially if you are a senior citizen - no...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Stanley. I am happy that you enjoyed our historic mountain destination. We are working every day on getting our hotel painted (a never ending job!) and our landscaper is busy working on the flower beds and other areas. Please come back and visit us again!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had stopped by the Stanley Hotel in March and convinced my Husband to take me there for 1 or 2 nights May 31, June 1 timeframe. Cost of 1 night was $335. Included breakfast. We opted for 1 night. We arrived early and were told we could not get in our room till 4 PM. The staff were anything but accomidating in their manner then or for the rwst of our stay. The service in the dining room was slow and the food medium at best. Bar service was also slow and as we went to the outdoor bar about 6:30 or 7 PM on Saturday evening they closed it down before we could get a drink. Our room had mold in the shower and the bath was not clean, Neither was our bedcovering. We also were unable to get any sleep, as you were awakeneD about every 30 minutes by noise throughout the hotel, peoplle walking on the floors or on the stairs. I feel we should not even have to pay for our stay it was such a bad experience overall.

• Stayed: May 2014
7  Thank Lady LDS
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel and promise to look into the situation and take corrective action. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email so that I may respond to your concerns.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is beautiful inside and out, but the pillows on the bed and the swamp coolers with no instructions provided left a little to be desired. If you stay there in the summer and have a swamp cooler in your room fill it with as much ice as it will hold and then fill the rest with water, it will be much more efficient. Also, bring your own pillows if you can. Theirs are poofy looking but became flat rocks as soon as your head smooshes them down, very sore neck in the morning.
Cascades restaurant has the most incredible, albeit expensive, food I've ever eaten. The meatloaf, holy moly it was so good I had to force myself to chew slower so as to savor every bite. (MEATLOAF! Who knew?!?) Definitely eat there if you stay on the property.

Room Tip: They have the option to pre-request a room upgrade, we did this and got an upgrade to a haunted room...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I will look into the condition of our pillows to determine if it is time to replace them. Please know that we value your comments and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Spent the weekend at the somewhat famous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO - was there for a wedding and reception, so we spent the weekend enjoying the atmosphere and scenic surroundings. It most certainly is a nice place for a wedding, with the mountains for a backdrop and the abundance of nature at your fingertips. The hotel itself is divided up into several buildings -we stayed in the Lodge, which is a 4 story building with a single, small elevator that wasn't working for part of the weekend - which made it rather inconvenient, but more so when it came to moving luggage. Room rates were not cheap, and size wise, were small as was typical with older hotels both here and abroad. As one who spends his life in hotels all over the globe, just coming back from Europe, these were pretty small, but nicely furnished. No air conditioning, so a summer visit could be toasty at times.

As far as the service, they were attentive during check-in process, but for checking out, had to go to the main building to do so ....again no biggie but would have been nice to save a few steps. Continental breakfast served daily was wonderful, with fresh made pastries etc....very nice indeed. The restaurant and bar were equally impressive but not cheap. A hamburger and fries were $15 in the bar ....tasty. The bar prides itself on its liquor selection, and the group I was with certainly sampled a great many varieties ....again they were very proud of their liquor!

My only disappointment came after departing the property and realizing we had left some personal property in the room. I called the same day and left a message with housekeeping as they were closed - received no response, so called back again the following day and left another message. After still no response I called the front desk and they informed me they had new staff in housekeeping and suggest I leave another message which I did. I even went so far as to send an email back to the General Mgr. ...who had previously thanked me for staying at the property. As of this writing, still no response from anyone which makes me think the item is now part of the past. It is situations such as this, that in my book, that show the true colors of a business and how they deal with their clientele .....it taints my desire to want to return.

2  Thank Greg A

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall, and I am sorry about the follow up regarding the items left behind. I looked into the issue with the messages you left that were not responded to, and we have since corrected a problem with our voicemail system. We do our best to recover any items left behind by guests and please feel free to contact me with an update on your particular situation. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed as part of tour group. It was a real wow property. The views, common areas, rooms and private group dining were top notch. Loved the link to the movie The Shining. Loved that they had an actor who looked like Jack Nicholson wandering around with a fire axe. Our room was massive with 2 king beds, 2 Queen Anne chairs and a desk. Quant antique elevator was fun.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank terryw678
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed our historic property and our food and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Definite choice for the Rocky Mountain National Park. Beautifully decorated property on a hilltop over looking Estes Park. Definitely enjoy the ghost tour and then have a Bloody Mary at Whiskey's Bar. The staff thoughout the hotel was exceptional and full of information. The rooms were small, but comfortable and spotless. Wonderful experience overall.

Room Tip: The Lodge at the Stanley is a lot more private than the main hotel and includes a wonderful continen...
1  Thank psantoro58
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Stanley. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay in our Lodge and we look forward to serving you again soon!