“Wont do that again...”

Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Wont do that again...”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Ill start at the beginning.... I spent months looking forward to staying at the Stanley. I'm a historical hotel nut. Really like hotels from the 1890s to the 1940s. They are just beautiful. I love hearing of the historical facts about the building from the people that built them to the renovations etc.

Upon arriving at the Stanley I parked in back and made my way to the front desk. Walked through the gardens that smelled phenomenal! The gentleman at the front desk was not very friendly AT ALL. It was sign this sign that and quit bothering me kinda moment. I asked a few questions about the hotel- a quick yes or no with out any detail. Questions about the keys behind him and the year it was opened to the public as a hotel kinda things. Then he told me that our two rooms were on the second floor and I could take the bags into the back. I don't know about you but I at least expected an old school bell hop. Was kinda disappointed. Id pay someone well for me to not have to tote my luggage around the hotel.
After getting into the room I abruptly discovered it was not the historical hotel I was expecting. We had a cheap brass 1980's ceiling fan that clicked. The very pretty table was scratched all to pieces. The 1980's tile in the bathroom was cracked and the grout was very very nasty. The Shower curtain was moldy and approximately 4-6 inches too long inside the shower. I slipped on it and about busted my butt later that night. There was also no book or information about the hotel in our room. I would have at least expected fire safety information, stuff about the town, and where to find the ice machine inside the room- Upon asking the desk clerk later- they dont give you those. (What really would be neat if there was a book that told you of all the transformation your individual room has gone through.) If your looking for information about the hotel, you need to pay for a tour. I wasn't there for the ghost hunting stuff and I didnt care to hear about that and each tour goes into that. Not my thing. I go on vacation to stay away from people, not be herded through halls with them.
We went to the Cascades Whiskey Bar that night and sat there for about 15 minutes and never got served. Only when I walked to the other end of the bar to pick up the menu did the bartenders come over to us. (Mind you they were really busy) We did get our drinks and they were awesome I did the Angel whiskey and my husband had the red rum punch. As the night progressed I also tried the Black Orchid martini and the creme brulee. The martini was great but the creme brulee lacked that good crust on the top of it. It was like they made them and toasted them earlier in the day and stuffed it in a fridge and it got soggy. The bartender turned out to be really great, friendly and had an awesome conversation with him. The man that had rang everything in got some things messed up and we ended up getting charged for a soup also but the bartender that was serving us fixed the problem.
Everyone complains about the squeeky floor and lack of AC... those things make this hotel what it is... a 100 year old hotel. I have no problem with those things. What killed it for me was the "ghost hunters" running around the hotel at all hours of the night and day. Blocking up the hallways and going places they shouldnt be. I had to show my room key to get onto the property so why are they allowed on if they arent staying onsite. Just for a suggestion, make small cards that sit on the dashboard so as we come in people dont have to dig around for their room key. As an added touch, add the name and the man at the gate can actually greet you. (Just a great touch of customer service). The next day we went to the national park and came back. We were missing hand towels and wash clothes out of the room, as well as a bath mat. I had to use the towels for a bath mat. Not happy about that.
The next night we had reservations at the Cascades for dinner. Great dinner and service. We weren't offered a wine menu so I asked. They only serve a few types of wine by the glass. I enjoyed the wine I had but to be honest I dont even know what it was. Never saw the bottle or got a name. The "pawns" were more like large shrimp and the brussel sprouts werent good at all. LOVED the glazed carrots and probably the best meatloaf Ive ever had in my life. (Dont tell my mom.) My husband and I walked around the hotel to enjoy observe the architecture. Beautiful place that I wish they had done more to retain the original charm of a 100 year old hotel. The only place I saw anything that could remotely be period was the tile in the 3rd floor ice room. The pictures start to repeat themselves throughout the hotel. The doors on the 4th floor that lead to the back entrances are beautiful. (But shouldnt be left open all night long. Had bugs in the hallways- as well as strange people). That night, the friend my husband and I took with us, staying in the second room, 218, had a strange fellow knock on his door in the middle of the night. After a moment he opened the room door and saw a young man dressed in all black wondering through the halls, presumably a "ghost hunter". The bed was comfortable and nice. Wouldn't stay there in the summer. Late may was nice, had the windows open and the window fans they provided set up in the bathroom and bedroom. Didn't care for the wing on the headboard as "old timey" as they looked. Couldn't see the alarm clock. My husband and his friend both really enjoyed The Shining playing 24 hrs a day on channel 42. I thought it was a cute touch also. Would like to have known more about Mr.Stanley and his wife and what I presume to be the servants quarters on the 4th floor. Smaller doors. In fact almost all floors had different doors, the 3rd floor closest to the back of the hotel had transoms, thought that was odd. Disappointed when we went down to the basement that the "Archieves" are closed to people who take the tours and that they have their own resident "physic" ... really? Ok. Im done. This place could be absolutely fantastic with just a bit of added touch and an owner that actually cared to be apart of the "national historic register." Wont go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jamie P
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your extensive review of our hotel. I agree with many of your observations and will follow up on them. We are working on a digital alternative to a binder in the room for information that can be accessed prior to arrival, during your stay or any other time via a smart phone or tablet. Also, the reason the fourth floor rooms are smaller and have lower ceilings is because they were originally for the children who stayed in separate rooms from their parents with their nanny's. Also, the Lodge building which we now operate much like a bed and breakfast, was originally built for single gentlemen who at the time the hotel was built, were not able to stay in the same building as married women. All of the grand hotels from the late 1800's, early 1900's (The Stanley was built in 1909) have gone through periods of decline throughout their history, some more than others, and I can assure you that our owner has put a lot of time, effort and money into infrastructure and improvements from the condition it was in when he purchased it. Again, thank you for sharing your impressions, I am happy that you found many things to like about our hotel and hope you will reconsider your decision not to return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
Gainesville, Virginia, Usa
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've stayed there several times and am never disappointed. On this last trip there was only one issue with the cleaning staff but the issue was addressed and rectified. The front desk and tour staff is amazing and beyond helpful - they were even willing to help me look up my family history as one of my ancestors used to work there in 1910. The views...need I say more? Beaver Mountain/Longs Peak, the Twin Owls, Prospector Mtn....to numerous to list here are a clear shot from the Stanley property. LOVE this place. LOVE the Estes Park area. LOVE the ghosts. If you're in the area and don't stay there - you should kick your own butt.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Luci B
Thank you for sharing your love of Estes Park and The Stanley Hotel! I share your feelings about the natural beauty of the area and our antique buildings nestled in the midst of it. I am also happy that you find the staff friendly and efficient. Please return often and ask for me when you do.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This historic hotel is lovely with a lot of charm thrown in. Our room was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The hotel has no air conditioning, but our room had a ceiling fan that cooled things off nicely (we stayed there the end of May, so it wasn't that hot outside yet). The floors are very creaky and you can hear every footstep your upstairs neighbors take and those that are in the hallway.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, ask for a room on the top floor. At least this will eliminate those abo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience. As with most antique buildings, we do have a few squeaks here and there, but we think it adds to the charm, and hope you feel the same. Please come back and stay with us again.
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Have lived near the Stanley for many years and finally stayed there. Thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The room was comfortable and the breakfast at the Lodge was delicious. Really enjoyed the history tour and dinner at Cascades.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking a stay at The Stanley off your bucket list. Now that you know who we are, we look forward to seeing you at our hotel more often. Next time you come please ask about our Cascades Club for local guests!
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Stanley is a historical hotel that does show its age in some areas. Some of the outside doors and ramps need PAINT and the landscape could use some serious attention. But the charm lies in the history and most of the inside of the hotel. The rooms in the LODGE are too small for a king size bed(not even a regular table chair would come out of the closet and fit in the room) but the king rooms in the original hotel are reason size and are comfortable. You must realize that there is no air conditioning and even in late May, the rooms can be quite warm but the fan provided in each room does help. The staff was generally helpful and we did enjoy our three day stay. The breakfast in the Cascade Room was really great. If you want history and the ability to say you stayed at the Stanley, know that it is worth it. If you want true history, comfort and outstanding service, go to the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.

Room Tip: Do not book a king room in The Lodge part of the hotel, especially if you are a senior citizen - no...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at The Stanley. I am happy that you enjoyed our historic mountain destination. We are working every day on getting our hotel painted (a never ending job!) and our landscaper is busy working on the flower beds and other areas. Please come back and visit us again!
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had stopped by the Stanley Hotel in March and convinced my Husband to take me there for 1 or 2 nights May 31, June 1 timeframe. Cost of 1 night was $335. Included breakfast. We opted for 1 night. We arrived early and were told we could not get in our room till 4 PM. The staff were anything but accomidating in their manner then or for the rwst of our stay. The service in the dining room was slow and the food medium at best. Bar service was also slow and as we went to the outdoor bar about 6:30 or 7 PM on Saturday evening they closed it down before we could get a drink. Our room had mold in the shower and the bath was not clean, Neither was our bedcovering. We also were unable to get any sleep, as you were awakeneD about every 30 minutes by noise throughout the hotel, peoplle walking on the floors or on the stairs. I feel we should not even have to pay for our stay it was such a bad experience overall.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank Lady LDS
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at our hotel and promise to look into the situation and take corrective action. Please feel free to contact me via phone or email so that I may respond to your concerns.
Castle Rock, Colorado
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is beautiful inside and out, but the pillows on the bed and the swamp coolers with no instructions provided left a little to be desired. If you stay there in the summer and have a swamp cooler in your room fill it with as much ice as it will hold and then fill the rest with water, it will be much more efficient. Also, bring your own pillows if you can. Theirs are poofy looking but became flat rocks as soon as your head smooshes them down, very sore neck in the morning.
Cascades restaurant has the most incredible, albeit expensive, food I've ever eaten. The meatloaf, holy moly it was so good I had to force myself to chew slower so as to savor every bite. (MEATLOAF! Who knew?!?) Definitely eat there if you stay on the property.

Room Tip: They have the option to pre-request a room upgrade, we did this and got an upgrade to a haunted room...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and I will look into the condition of our pillows to determine if it is time to replace them. Please know that we value your comments and we look forward to your return.