“A Nice Stay at The Stanley”
Review of Stanley Hotel

Stanley Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We were assigned a room at The Lodge, which was very comfortable and turned out to be much quieter than the hotel, which was booming. The room was comfortable, and we had a good meal at the Cascade restaurant. We loved the bar...amazing collection of whiskeys. The continental breakfast was fanstastic, and everyone was friendly. In the morning,we had coffee while watching an elk graze on the lawn in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the quiet Lodge rooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,654)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I had a great time at the Stanley. I had a blast repeating REDRUM up and down the hall ways, not too loud of course. While there, we also took a booked jeep ride up into the Rockies and loved it. We took the Rocking Rollercoaster tour, WOW. We bought a K2 meter at the front desk just to keep tabs on any Ghost in our room. What fun we had sitting on the front porch with a bottle of bubbly and watched the people mingle about. On the down side, the man running the cafe downstairs was not very friendly. He seemed to get angry when we asked about the K2 meter. We had to ask several employees including the girl who gives the Ghost tours about the meter and even she was not sure where to get it, go figure that one. Finally, the front desk had one. It was for my grandchild back home that loves this Ghost stuff, so you see I had to find it. Over all, WE LOVED OUR STAY.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas N
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at The Stanley. I am happy that you enjoyed re-enacting scenes from the shining, sipping champagne on the porch and the jeep tour of RMNP. The K2 meters are available as part of our Ghost Adventure Package, and through our online store www.stanleyhotel.com/gift-shop. We know that you have many choices as to where and how to spend your travel dollars and we want you to know that we value you as a guest and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

On our Great Western Trip this was our third stop. We had car trouble and had to delay all our hotels by one day. After getting a rental car I called the Stanley in tears and talked to a gentlemen at the desk and told him what had happened to our new car going through Kansas. He was very kind and said that it was okay to arrive a day late. This took a lot of pressure off of us. When you are driving up to the hotel and Estes State Park you can understand why Stephen King was inspired by the area and how he got his ideas for the Shining. It does feel remote and yes the Stanley is not. Which is kind of nice because the town is very close and has lots of shops and restaurants. When we arrived we found the check in desk easily. The staff was very helpful. They gave us a room on the third floor. When we opened the door we were really surprised. I don't know if this was the best room in the hotel but it had to be at least one of the best. I have to say thank you we were really having a rough go of it and this turned the whole vacation around. The room was clean and beautiful. The old style furnishings, perfect for this era. The view was spectacular. All and all charming. The bathroom had a copper sink. As stated by other travelers the was no air conditioning but there was a ceiling fan. This is a historic hotel. The bed was comfy and to wake up in the morning and see a elk outside grazing where tourist were the night before is remarkable. We did go down for a drink at the whiskey bar. I had a martini and my husband the F.O. Stanley cocktail both were perfect. We toured the hotel on our own and bought souvenirs. The hotel is really something and now has made us want to stay in other historic buildings. We love historic mansions and such but only toured them, never stayed in one. This gave us a whole new experience. We loved it and will always remember this hotel and hope to be back some day in the future. The hotel surprised us one more time and gave us our bar tab for free. Thank you and we hope to see you some day soon.

Room Tip: The third floor was great. We did go up to the fourth floor and it seemed hotter and the floors were...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amsirius

Dear ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at The Stanley. I am happy that you enjoyed your room and the service provided by our front desk and bartender. I'm also happy that our pet elk showed up on cue! ;-) We know that you have many choices as to where and how to spend your travel dollars and we want you to know that we value you as a guest and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Although Stephen King did not set the original movie here (it was where he developed the story), it is a place that could inspire many thoughts, most of them of the 5-star variety. Truly a classic and if you are going to Estes Park, then you at least must stop and stay if at all possible. Staff was wonderful, views are magfnificent, and the prices are not that outrageous.

Room Tip: try to face the front where the views of the mountains are best
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at The Stanley. I am happy that you enjoyed our classic, historic mountain atmosphere and the views of Rocky Mountain National Park. We know that you have many choices as to where and how to spend your travel dollars and we want you to know that we value you as a guest and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We was on a sister trip we was booked for the family suite for the six of us with only one bathroom when I had learned that my sister in law slept on the floor I went to the front desk to see what they could do for different accommodations the lady at the front desk was upset that they put that many people in that small suite. So she booked us in a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath condo at no extra charge. Then moved all of our luggage while we were enjoying our day.it was awesome and the desk manager was a wonderful and sympathetic person. Thank you so much!!!

Room Tip: Rooms not air conditioned choose a condo
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear ,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience during your recent stay at The Stanley. I am happy that we were able to accommodate you in a larger suite. We know that you have many choices as to where and how to spend your travel dollars and we want you to know that we value you as a guest and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Ill start at the beginning.... I spent months looking forward to staying at the Stanley. I'm a historical hotel nut. Really like hotels from the 1890s to the 1940s. They are just beautiful. I love hearing of the historical facts about the building from the people that built them to the renovations etc.

Upon arriving at the Stanley I parked in back and made my way to the front desk. Walked through the gardens that smelled phenomenal! The gentleman at the front desk was not very friendly AT ALL. It was sign this sign that and quit bothering me kinda moment. I asked a few questions about the hotel- a quick yes or no with out any detail. Questions about the keys behind him and the year it was opened to the public as a hotel kinda things. Then he told me that our two rooms were on the second floor and I could take the bags into the back. I don't know about you but I at least expected an old school bell hop. Was kinda disappointed. Id pay someone well for me to not have to tote my luggage around the hotel.
After getting into the room I abruptly discovered it was not the historical hotel I was expecting. We had a cheap brass 1980's ceiling fan that clicked. The very pretty table was scratched all to pieces. The 1980's tile in the bathroom was cracked and the grout was very very nasty. The Shower curtain was moldy and approximately 4-6 inches too long inside the shower. I slipped on it and about busted my butt later that night. There was also no book or information about the hotel in our room. I would have at least expected fire safety information, stuff about the town, and where to find the ice machine inside the room- Upon asking the desk clerk later- they dont give you those. (What really would be neat if there was a book that told you of all the transformation your individual room has gone through.) If your looking for information about the hotel, you need to pay for a tour. I wasn't there for the ghost hunting stuff and I didnt care to hear about that and each tour goes into that. Not my thing. I go on vacation to stay away from people, not be herded through halls with them.
We went to the Cascades Whiskey Bar that night and sat there for about 15 minutes and never got served. Only when I walked to the other end of the bar to pick up the menu did the bartenders come over to us. (Mind you they were really busy) We did get our drinks and they were awesome I did the Angel whiskey and my husband had the red rum punch. As the night progressed I also tried the Black Orchid martini and the creme brulee. The martini was great but the creme brulee lacked that good crust on the top of it. It was like they made them and toasted them earlier in the day and stuffed it in a fridge and it got soggy. The bartender turned out to be really great, friendly and had an awesome conversation with him. The man that had rang everything in got some things messed up and we ended up getting charged for a soup also but the bartender that was serving us fixed the problem.
Everyone complains about the squeeky floor and lack of AC... those things make this hotel what it is... a 100 year old hotel. I have no problem with those things. What killed it for me was the "ghost hunters" running around the hotel at all hours of the night and day. Blocking up the hallways and going places they shouldnt be. I had to show my room key to get onto the property so why are they allowed on if they arent staying onsite. Just for a suggestion, make small cards that sit on the dashboard so as we come in people dont have to dig around for their room key. As an added touch, add the name and the man at the gate can actually greet you. (Just a great touch of customer service). The next day we went to the national park and came back. We were missing hand towels and wash clothes out of the room, as well as a bath mat. I had to use the towels for a bath mat. Not happy about that.
The next night we had reservations at the Cascades for dinner. Great dinner and service. We weren't offered a wine menu so I asked. They only serve a few types of wine by the glass. I enjoyed the wine I had but to be honest I dont even know what it was. Never saw the bottle or got a name. The "pawns" were more like large shrimp and the brussel sprouts werent good at all. LOVED the glazed carrots and probably the best meatloaf Ive ever had in my life. (Dont tell my mom.) My husband and I walked around the hotel to enjoy observe the architecture. Beautiful place that I wish they had done more to retain the original charm of a 100 year old hotel. The only place I saw anything that could remotely be period was the tile in the 3rd floor ice room. The pictures start to repeat themselves throughout the hotel. The doors on the 4th floor that lead to the back entrances are beautiful. (But shouldnt be left open all night long. Had bugs in the hallways- as well as strange people). That night, the friend my husband and I took with us, staying in the second room, 218, had a strange fellow knock on his door in the middle of the night. After a moment he opened the room door and saw a young man dressed in all black wondering through the halls, presumably a "ghost hunter". The bed was comfortable and nice. Wouldn't stay there in the summer. Late may was nice, had the windows open and the window fans they provided set up in the bathroom and bedroom. Didn't care for the wing on the headboard as "old timey" as they looked. Couldn't see the alarm clock. My husband and his friend both really enjoyed The Shining playing 24 hrs a day on channel 42. I thought it was a cute touch also. Would like to have known more about Mr.Stanley and his wife and what I presume to be the servants quarters on the 4th floor. Smaller doors. In fact almost all floors had different doors, the 3rd floor closest to the back of the hotel had transoms, thought that was odd. Disappointed when we went down to the basement that the "Archieves" are closed to people who take the tours and that they have their own resident "physic" ... really? Ok. Im done. This place could be absolutely fantastic with just a bit of added touch and an owner that actually cared to be apart of the "national historic register." Wont go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jamie P
Frank W, General Manager at Stanley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your extensive review of our hotel. I agree with many of your observations and will follow up on them. We are working on a digital alternative to a binder in the room for information that can be accessed prior to arrival, during your stay or any other time via a smart phone or tablet. Also, the reason the fourth floor rooms are smaller and have lower ceilings is because they were originally for the children who stayed in separate rooms from their parents with their nanny's. Also, the Lodge building which we now operate much like a bed and breakfast, was originally built for single gentlemen who at the time the hotel was built, were not able to stay in the same building as married women. All of the grand hotels from the late 1800's, early 1900's (The Stanley was built in 1909) have gone through periods of decline throughout their history, some more than others, and I can assure you that our owner has put a lot of time, effort and money into infrastructure and improvements from the condition it was in when he purchased it. Again, thank you for sharing your impressions, I am happy that you found many things to like about our hotel and hope you will reconsider your decision not to return.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've stayed there several times and am never disappointed. On this last trip there was only one issue with the cleaning staff but the issue was addressed and rectified. The front desk and tour staff is amazing and beyond helpful - they were even willing to help me look up my family history as one of my ancestors used to work there in 1910. The views...need I say more? Beaver Mountain/Longs Peak, the Twin Owls, Prospector Mtn....to numerous to list here are a clear shot from the Stanley property. LOVE this place. LOVE the Estes Park area. LOVE the ghosts. If you're in the area and don't stay there - you should kick your own butt.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Luci B

Thank you for sharing your love of Estes Park and The Stanley Hotel! I share your feelings about the natural beauty of the area and our antique buildings nestled in the midst of it. I am also happy that you find the staff friendly and efficient. Please return often and ask for me when you do.