“Zero stars not an option.”

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Houston, Texas
“Zero stars not an option.”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Easily the dirtiest motel I've ever tried to spend the night. I say "tried" because I demanded my money back eventually. Some highlights: smoke/mold smell, tattered box spring, plastic-covered mattress, bugs scattered throughout, holes in the baseboard and carpeting, and unidentifiable stains on the furniture, walls, and carpet. I tried to cope by taking a shower (given that everything else in town was booked) but the final straw was the black mold on the inside of the shower curtain. I'll grant them that the sheets appeared clean but, given the conditions, they couldn't be trusted. All this for only for $100/night! Bull$#!t.

Management gave back 1/2 of my money and I relented (since I tried to shower). Luckily, I ran into some friends who let me use their sofa bed. Felt like heaven after the panic-stricken hour I spent at this hell hole.

n.b. The business-supplied photos on this site are laughable! The grounds are unkept, dangerously dark at night, and poorly secured. Avoid at all cost! If the hotel were properly inspected, it would be condemned.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank jayhawkrockdoc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Meeker, Colorado
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location was fine. Older hotel that needs to be updated. Internet was down for most of our visit. The king bed we slept on was so hard our backs are still hurting. The bathtub backed up when showering. The senior discount consisted of an upgrade to a Jacuzzi room, but told us not to use the Jacuzzi! Not worth the price paid.

Room Tip: No air conditioning and no hair dryers.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rick T

Travellers are raving about these Estes Park hotels

Wheeling, Illinois
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We chose Twin Owls because of its location and price. The building is very, very old and in serious need of updating. The paint on the outside is peeling all over, the pool was not filled and the stairs are very scary. The room was very basic, but big. No amenities, but it was clean. The lady in the office was very nice. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver, CO
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I agree with most of the "Guy" posts here; this place is great for being central to Estes Park. I produce a national TV show called LIP'EM & RIP'EM and we've stayed in the finest resorts/hotels/motels in Colorado (and beyond). We're totally 'spoiled'. This place is NOT 'no frills' in the sense that this is a clean place, comfortable bed, cable, and mini-fridge. The 'halting English speaking Owner' is Mary and she's super sweet. She went out of her way to book us at the last moment. In fact, I got a kick out of her smart business sense in that there are generous stacked cups, soaps, and shampoos in the bathroom (which defies 'cheapness', because 'losers' could steal them all). I do have a sense that she is astute enough to call her price at any given event, so try to bargain down...depending on how busy you think it might be. Listen... My personal take on ANY motel, hotel, or resort is that it's only a place to sleep, poo, and shower. Your memories will consist of all the cool things that you do OUTSIDE of your "motel"! LIPEMNRIPEM.COM

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
6 Thank TVPro2r
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Location location location!!! The hotel itself is average, and reasonably priced. The view is Amazing. And the staff is courteous. I will return to Twin Owls next time I go to Colorado. I had a wonderful time. And did I mention what an awesome location??? minutes from everything and everywhere you want to go!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Dawn P
New Castle, Colorado
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The staff was nice but that was it. Building looks like a good wind would knock it down. Mold on ceiling and shower curtain. Bathroom window wouldn't close. Pool had no water and hot tub didn't work. You could hear what was going on next door. No do not disturb sign so housekeeping came in while we were gone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank MAH45919
Greeley, Colorado
Reviewed 22 February 2014

If you like basic, minimal, and dated you will love Twin Owls. Otherwise look elsewhere. Beds and bathroom were adequate and there is an old box 21" TV. Luckily we brought our own coffee pot, coffee, and ice chest. A drawer in the dresser was broken and the window ledge in the bathroom had not been cleaned for some time. I found a roofing nail on the floor near the foot of the bed. Found it with my bare foot.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple