“Worst Hotel Ever”

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We came up for a night on our motorcycle. I had trip advisor'd this place before booking and knew it was older but was not in store for what we got! This place is the WORST. There were bugs everywhere. The place smelled of mildew and the walls were sticky. The beds were broken and there was food everywhere under the bed! We wouldn't even touch the light switch with our bare fingers. The toilet would fill up super high that you thought it was going to overflow. There were no fitted sheets on the bed and we had to put the comforter on the floor. I would not walk barefoot and there was hair all over the shower. The phone was not plugged into anything so it's not like we could call. The drawers were screwed shut. The thermostat came off the wall and fell on the floor! The pool had about 7 inches of water in it! The hot tub lid was laying on the ground 10 feet from it and the filter was so full of dirt there is no way I would of sat in it! I went in to complain and she handed me a $20 bill, then had her husband go look to see if I was telling the truth and when I pointed out the bugs/spiders he seemed to be annoyed that I showed him. The towels had dead flies on them. I paid way too much and got ripped off from Trip Advisor on this one. I will never stay there again nor will I use trip advisor. I was to pay only $106 for the night and got charged $125 plus $8 for using Trip Advisor! What a joke!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Scott M

Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed this August because all the GOOD motels were filled up. Staff was courteous and pleasant, bed sheets and towels clean, but the rest, not so much. Stone Steps were broken off from stairway, handrails were dangerously loose, No AC, no convenience coffee pot or fridge (we put a bag of ice in the sink for our perishables).Lobby didn't have coffee either and was NOT like the pics posted on the website. Wallpaper peeling from the walls, outside motel was in serious need of paint and major repair. Pool empty, Exchange students staying regularly partying all night (no sleep for us!!!) and we finally had to call down at 1:00 to get them to stop. Doors banging when they got up at 5:00. For $107 a night, you thought at LEAST we'd get a good night's sleep. Wrong!

Room Tip: Pick another motel!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JJJ82240
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Easily the dirtiest motel I've ever tried to spend the night. I say "tried" because I demanded my money back eventually. Some highlights: smoke/mold smell, tattered box spring, plastic-covered mattress, bugs scattered throughout, holes in the baseboard and carpeting, and unidentifiable stains on the furniture, walls, and carpet. I tried to cope by taking a shower (given that everything else in town was booked) but the final straw was the black mold on the inside of the shower curtain. I'll grant them that the sheets appeared clean but, given the conditions, they couldn't be trusted. All this for only for $100/night! Bull$#!t.

Management gave back 1/2 of my money and I relented (since I tried to shower). Luckily, I ran into some friends who let me use their sofa bed. Felt like heaven after the panic-stricken hour I spent at this hell hole.

n.b. The business-supplied photos on this site are laughable! The grounds are unkept, dangerously dark at night, and poorly secured. Avoid at all cost! If the hotel were properly inspected, it would be condemned.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank jayhawkrockdoc
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location was fine. Older hotel that needs to be updated. Internet was down for most of our visit. The king bed we slept on was so hard our backs are still hurting. The bathtub backed up when showering. The senior discount consisted of an upgrade to a Jacuzzi room, but told us not to use the Jacuzzi! Not worth the price paid.

Room Tip: No air conditioning and no hair dryers.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rick T
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We chose Twin Owls because of its location and price. The building is very, very old and in serious need of updating. The paint on the outside is peeling all over, the pool was not filled and the stairs are very scary. The room was very basic, but big. No amenities, but it was clean. The lady in the office was very nice. Probably wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I agree with most of the "Guy" posts here; this place is great for being central to Estes Park. I produce a national TV show called LIP'EM & RIP'EM and we've stayed in the finest resorts/hotels/motels in Colorado (and beyond). We're totally 'spoiled'. This place is NOT 'no frills' in the sense that this is a clean place, comfortable bed, cable, and mini-fridge. The 'halting English speaking Owner' is Mary and she's super sweet. She went out of her way to book us at the last moment. In fact, I got a kick out of her smart business sense in that there are generous stacked cups, soaps, and shampoos in the bathroom (which defies 'cheapness', because 'losers' could steal them all). I do have a sense that she is astute enough to call her price at any given event, so try to bargain down...depending on how busy you think it might be. Listen... My personal take on ANY motel, hotel, or resort is that it's only a place to sleep, poo, and shower. Your memories will consist of all the cool things that you do OUTSIDE of your "motel"! LIPEMNRIPEM.COM

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank TVPro2r
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Location location location!!! The hotel itself is average, and reasonably priced. The view is Amazing. And the staff is courteous. I will return to Twin Owls next time I go to Colorado. I had a wonderful time. And did I mention what an awesome location??? minutes from everything and everywhere you want to go!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo