“Yikes”

Twin Owls Motor Lodge
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Estes Park
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I didnt believe the bad reviews of this hotel until I experience it myself. Other than the prime location, i cant find other reason why they would charge so much. I am not a picky person but this place is really awful. There was a lady bug under the blanket, towels looked like they need a good wash, bathroom doorknob broke when husband tried to open it. Room was cold and heater not working but the staff was nice enough to give us a space heater. If the price is not too high maybe we would stay there again and bring our own beddings.
Location wise - this hotel is near to everything. Near to RMNP and very accessible to restaurants and food chains. The great thing that came out of our stay in this hotel was that a herd of elk (a dozen of them) decided to rest in front of the hotel and I think that was very cool.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Geene H

Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Although this hotel had bad reviews, the location is wonderful. It is within walking distance of down town and Lake estes. There were deer and Elk on the property. Granted the hotel is dated and needs a makeover, it is a great value especially if you don't want to spend a lot of time in your room. The room was clean and the service friendly.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank bandit0123
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Wife and I stayed there for our one year anniversary and the room was discusting towels in the bathroom were dirty floor wasn't vacuum'd old food crums under the seat cushion by the window and one of the beds covers came off the mattress and there was a huge stain from sweat or urine or vomit or something very very discusting mattress's were old and uncomfortable tv old and screen was terrible night stand drawer was broken refrigerator was making a humming noise all night we will never stay there again I've stayed in super 8's that were cleaner

• Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank Countrygirluphere
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We came up for a night on our motorcycle. I had trip advisor'd this place before booking and knew it was older but was not in store for what we got! This place is the WORST. There were bugs everywhere. The place smelled of mildew and the walls were sticky. The beds were broken and there was food everywhere under the bed! We wouldn't even touch the light switch with our bare fingers. The toilet would fill up super high that you thought it was going to overflow. There were no fitted sheets on the bed and we had to put the comforter on the floor. I would not walk barefoot and there was hair all over the shower. The phone was not plugged into anything so it's not like we could call. The drawers were screwed shut. The thermostat came off the wall and fell on the floor! The pool had about 7 inches of water in it! The hot tub lid was laying on the ground 10 feet from it and the filter was so full of dirt there is no way I would of sat in it! I went in to complain and she handed me a $20 bill, then had her husband go look to see if I was telling the truth and when I pointed out the bugs/spiders he seemed to be annoyed that I showed him. The towels had dead flies on them. I paid way too much and got ripped off from Trip Advisor on this one. I will never stay there again nor will I use trip advisor. I was to pay only $106 for the night and got charged $125 plus $8 for using Trip Advisor! What a joke!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Scott M
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I stayed this August because all the GOOD motels were filled up. Staff was courteous and pleasant, bed sheets and towels clean, but the rest, not so much. Stone Steps were broken off from stairway, handrails were dangerously loose, No AC, no convenience coffee pot or fridge (we put a bag of ice in the sink for our perishables).Lobby didn't have coffee either and was NOT like the pics posted on the website. Wallpaper peeling from the walls, outside motel was in serious need of paint and major repair. Pool empty, Exchange students staying regularly partying all night (no sleep for us!!!) and we finally had to call down at 1:00 to get them to stop. Doors banging when they got up at 5:00. For $107 a night, you thought at LEAST we'd get a good night's sleep. Wrong!

Room Tip: Pick another motel!!!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JJJ82240
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Easily the dirtiest motel I've ever tried to spend the night. I say "tried" because I demanded my money back eventually. Some highlights: smoke/mold smell, tattered box spring, plastic-covered mattress, bugs scattered throughout, holes in the baseboard and carpeting, and unidentifiable stains on the furniture, walls, and carpet. I tried to cope by taking a shower (given that everything else in town was booked) but the final straw was the black mold on the inside of the shower curtain. I'll grant them that the sheets appeared clean but, given the conditions, they couldn't be trusted. All this for only for $100/night! Bull$#!t.

Management gave back 1/2 of my money and I relented (since I tried to shower). Luckily, I ran into some friends who let me use their sofa bed. Felt like heaven after the panic-stricken hour I spent at this hell hole.

n.b. The business-supplied photos on this site are laughable! The grounds are unkept, dangerously dark at night, and poorly secured. Avoid at all cost! If the hotel were properly inspected, it would be condemned.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank jayhawkrockdoc
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Location was fine. Older hotel that needs to be updated. Internet was down for most of our visit. The king bed we slept on was so hard our backs are still hurting. The bathtub backed up when showering. The senior discount consisted of an upgrade to a Jacuzzi room, but told us not to use the Jacuzzi! Not worth the price paid.

Room Tip: No air conditioning and no hair dryers.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family