“great hotel”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Emsworth, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This hotel is right by Water Place in downtown Providence, and thus very close to the Water Fire event I was lucky to attend. Excellent breakfast, served by the wonderful Jo-Ann, every facility, helpful staff. Easy to walk anywhere in this relatively compact city.

Room Tip: as far as I could tell, all rooms are good
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank balticbash
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear balticbash,
Thank you for your excellent comments! We look forward to hosting you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here for 1 night while visiting Brown University. We found the amenities such as the indoor/outdoor pool, the gym and the restaurant to be very nice and the breakfast buffet was wonderful. The location was centrally located and convenient. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Luv2travel720
, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Luvtotravel720,
We appreciate when our guests take the time to share their experience at our hotel with Trip Advisor readers. We especially value your opinion as a seasoned traveler with Senior Reviewer status. We hope that you can visit again soon and thank you for your excellent praises! I will be sure to share them with our hotel team.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We found this hotel plenty good enough when we were in Providence for two nights to get our daughter started in a summer program at Rhode Island School of Design. It is big and busy, but the staff seem helpful and it has lots of amenities like an indoor-outdoor pool, a full-service spa, and shuttle service. Our room was comfortable. There was free wi-fi that functioned well. Still, I would rather have paid less. I will hope to reserve earlier next time at a cheaper hotel that is actually downtown rather than four blocks beyond what most people would define as downtown.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelfoucault
, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear Michelfoucault,
Your daughter must be excited to be in the summer program at RISD! We are pleased that you enjoyed the amenities and the service at our hotel. Our indoor/outdoor pool is pretty awesome! We hope you choose to return. Our location is perfect for visiting RISD. We would be happy to arrange our complimentary shuttle to take you there or if you prefer it is a short walk to campus. When you are doing your research for your next trip to Providence, remember, we do not charge for parking and continue to be the only hotel in Providence who does not. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback for our Trip Advisor readers who count on people like you to share their experiences. Hope to see you soon!
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I stayed here on business because I could not get into the Renassaince Inn that I normal stay at. This Marriott is an old hotel. The swimming pool is great. The rooms are average. The conceirge lounge is the worst I've been in. The breakfast offering wasn't bad but the room itself is small and confining not very inviting and I felt like I needed to get out of there as soon as possible. The chicken kabob in the evening was dry and overcooked. It pales in comparison to the lounge and food provided at the Renaissance Inn in Providence.

I am Platinum Rewards member and they did recognize this and offered to send a welcome gift to my room, which I do appreciate. But I ended up having to call the front desk three times over the next 3-4 hours before they actually brought it up to my room.

Overall, I might stay here in a pinch, but the next time I can't get into the Renassaince Inn I will try the Courtyard Downtown.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HubbyChubby
, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 21 June 2012
Dear HubbyChubby,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with our Trip Advisor readers. We appreciate your feedback and share each TA posting with our team. We are always looking for new ways to improve our Lounge. While we cannot increase the size of the space, we can look into ways to give the room a more open feel. Thank you for sharing your feelings about that.
We do go above and beyond to recognize our Elite Members so are pleased that you felt appreciated.
We have the only connecting indoor & outdoor pool in the state and we are glad that you had a chance to have a nice swim. Summer's officially here so we hope when you do return to Providence that you choose our hotel...how can you resist our pool and outdoor lounge AQUA?
Hope to see you soon!
Boston, MA
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This hotel is OK for a night or two. We usually stay at the Westin when in Providence, but they were booked. We only wanted one night, and it seems like a business hotel, but there seemed to be a lot of families there---likely attracted to the indoor and outdoor pool. So there were kids running around the hallways.

Room was very clean, except for the bathtub. It had a rubber mat down that looked like it was hiding a stained/dirty tub. Bathroom was very small, again, OK for a night or two.

The hotel seemed quiet at night, but we kept the A/C on all night so that may have masked sounds.

Major complaint: We requested turn down service as we used all our towels and left them on the bathroom floor to indicate they were used. The bed was turned down but the bathroom wasn't touched at all. I called for more towels, which they did deliver, but I have been in hotels all over the world and never has turn down service NOT included checking the bathroom.

I'll go back to the Westin next time.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Goldrusswoman
Jen_PVD, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Dear Goldrusswoman,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our readers. Our hotel is great for business and leisure travel. The connecting indoor/outdoor pool is a huge draw as there is not one like it anywhere in the entire state. Thank you for acknowledging that.
I apologize for the miscommunication with your turn down service. It is being addressed. We also provide a mat in our tubs to prevent slipping.
We are pleased that you had a restful sleep and that overall your experience was quite positive. We hope you choose to stay with us again this summer and take advantage of our awesome pool and outdoor lounge, AQUA.
Ohio
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed for a conference and there were some really good points, but certain issues kept this from being a better review.

The staff is extremely polite and welcoming. The rooms are nice, but nothing special. I had a problem with my a/c not working and reported the problem in the early morning after my first night. Upon my return to my room, it was clear that they had worked on the unit, but it still wasn't cooling the room to the selected temperature. I did not ask again about fixing it, but did report it upon checking out.

The staff at the restaurant were terrific, accommodating special requests and keeping track of when our drinks were low. The food was good as was the selection for their breakfast buffet.

The outdoor bar and pool area was very nice, though they were quick to close things up when it looked like it might rain.

Their meeting room accommodations were good, but the chairs seemed to be highly uncomfortable to many of us who are used to attending conferences.

Room Tip: You might want to verify that rooms on the 5th floor in the C Tower have good HVAC.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank travelwife82
Dear Travelwife82,
We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with our readers. We also appreciate the great comments you shared about your stay. You comments regarding the thermostat in your room, the rate in which we began to close AQUA and the comfort of your conference chairs have been addressed with our team.
After all the rain we've had this spring, we do jump into high gear when the forecast calls for showers (or thunder storms) and begin to bring in chair cushions from AQUA, our outdoor lounge. We do this in the event it is only a passing shower and then the cushions can be replaced - and dry. It is the nature of the beast when a venue is outdoors. The team at AQUA is disappointed every time it rains - believe me :)
We hope you can come back and visit this summer. It looks like the second half of June is calling for sunny skies! Thanks again for your time.
NewYork
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I usually stay at Marriotts when I travel and did research before going to Providence. I would have preferred staying at the Courtyard Downtown which is truly a downtown location but
no rooms available. The Courtyard has 2 queen beds where this hotel has 2 double so with
3 adults and 2 children it was a little tight (we did get a roll away). My main issue with the hotel was that I had reserved a handicapped/hearing impaired (the only handicapped choice on web
other than wheelchair access shower). I phoned the hotel before arrival to explain that we were
travelling with 2 mobility impaired (no wheelchair) guests-an 80 year old with A fib who cannot walk long distances and another with an injured knee. I told them I did not need any hearing impaired devices and the main thing was convenience of being near elevator/entrance. I was told we were near a side entrance and it would be easy to park our car and enter there. They failed to mention that you had to walk up 5 or so steps with NO railing.I called the front desk and told them this was not safe for the elderly guest nor good for the knee-injured. The only
other handicapped acess rooms were king beds which would not work for us. I told them the only "handicapped" thing I realy wanted in the room was grip bars to get in the shower and she told me that would be considered a handicapped room. We decided to change rooms anyway
and got a much better room at entrance B with a ramp and a room very close to elevator. Part of the problem was that both people I spoke to told me they weren't familiar with our original
entrance C so did not realize the issue with stair. I would think the employees would be familiar with the entrances! Our first night out we also coulnd't acccess the side entrance with room keys and had to call front desk to have someone open the door. They suggested we walk to entrance A which, again with the health problems was not a solution. I would like to say I loved the indoor/outdoor pool and the bar at pool and lounge chairs were very nice. The staff was very friendly and we ate at the breakfast buffet both mornings which was excellent. I would have given 4 stars if we did not have room issues.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LeeBeeNewYork
Jen_PVD, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear LeeBeeNewYork,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. We are pleased that you were much happier with the location of your new room and that your party was able to enjoy themselves. We do our best to assist our guests to meet their individual needs. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed our pool and outdoor lounge and had such a great breakfast experience at the Bluefin Grille. We hope you can visit us again this summer and if you would like to contact me directly, I will surely place a request for a room B side for you.