“Nice but could use some improvements!”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Bottom line is that the room was nice and clean for the most part and free parking and wifi was a definite plus.

Details:
We booked this hotel based on the value offered and the idea of the indoor/outdoor pool instantly grabbed my daughter's attention. We had a room on the third floor just above the rear entrance C and although it was adjacent to the highway, it was actually very quiet. The doors to each room have seen better days and really stood out as needing some help. The pool area is beautiful and the gym appeared to be very well equipped and overlooked the pool. The heated pool was actually one of the only pools I've ever been to where the water was actually warm! Wifi was very quick and connecting was very simple. The bathroom we had was ok but the tile around the tub had quite a bit of mildew on the grout so that was very off putting. We were able to access the Concierge Lounge with our room so we were able to enjoy some nice desserts as well as a nice breakfast. I don't know Providence very well but the location seemed to be relatively close to the areas we visited. The staff was very nice and helpful.

Negatives (in order of worst to least)
1) The tile floor in the indoor pool section is ridiculously slippery. My daughter nearly slipped and fell about a half dozen times. She literally was walking 4 steps from the pool ladder to where I was sitting. I noticed others who slipped as well and one actually falling down. Coming from a hotel where we saw kids running around and jumping in the pool for the past few days to this hotel where you see people nearly fall while taking careful steps like they are avoiding land mines is unacceptable.
2) The outdoor pool section was unusable to us and completely unexpected. The night we stayed (a Thursday) the outdoor AQUA lounge was filled with partygoers in a club type atmosphere and loud music unless you want to be the center of attention and be gawked at by 50+ people, you are not going to swim out there...I can't imagine what it would be like on a Fri or Sat night! In fact, while I was sitting and watching my daughter, I saw one of the partygoers on a lounger get up and tell the group of 4-5 girls (around 10-12 yrs old) to move to another side of the pool because they were either making too much noise or splashing too much. In the end, they just came back to the indoor pool to swim.
3) The air conditioner unit in our room was was so incredibly loud that I was woken up a minimum of 6 times due to the abrupt noise of it turning on from a virtually silent room.

Room Tip: 1) Pay extra for a Concierge Level room for complimentary hors d'oeuvres, desserts and breakfast...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear 8pixel,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with our Trip Advisor readers - and us! Our connecting indoor & outdoor pools are a draw and I'm glad to hear you had time to enjoy them and that the temperature was just right! I do apologize that you felt uncomfortable due to the events at AQUA, our outdoor lounge. AQUA can be busy at times as it is quite a popular restaurant/lounge.
Safety around our pool is extremely important to us. Our attendants take precaution to remove excess water from the area around the pool deck. We appreciate that guests take care when exited the pool and that they walk carefully along the deck.
I'm sorry your quiet room was disrupted by your AC unit turning on. That must have been frustrating and I apologize. We are in the process of replacing the AC units throughout the hotel.
Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve our service and our guests' experience. Enjoy the last bit of summer!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed at the Providence Marriott downtown in June for a business trip. I actually only stayed here one night and stayed my other two nights at the Courtyard downtown. The staff was very accommodating when I could not book my last night at the Courtyard and called me to let me know a room opened up at the full service Marriott. I had a conference here two years ago and this hotel has gone through a major renovation since then. The lobby is beautiful and the bar seemed lively. I wish I stayed longer so I could have experienced the amenities as the pool looked very cool. The room was average for a Marriott. I wouldn't say it was the nicest room I've stayed in at a Marriott but it certainly fit the bill for what I needed it for. My only complaint would be the location...it is not "downtown" by any means or within walking distance to any downtown restaurants or bars. The parking is free - which is a perk over the Courtyard that is actually downtown. Overall, I would return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

Dear travelxpertNY,
Thank you for your excellent review and your recommendations. We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 14 August 2012

The two stars here is based on the fact that this hotel carries the Marriott name and costs around $200 a night, and my experience there just didn't justify that price tag. The front desk staff was extremely nice, and the pool was really nice, too. But when we got to our room, we noticed that the casing around the AC unit looked like it had pulled from the wall. The room was very basic overall, with the sort of bathroom I would expect in a $75/night place. The bed was comfortable, and the large flatscreen television was nice.

But there were just a bunch of little things wrong. We had requested a crib, but there wasn't one in the room, and we had to call for it. Our room also didn't have an ice bucket or cups, and we had to call for those, too. The room even lacked a "Do Not Disturb" sign, so we had to handwrite one. At one point, I accidentally pulled the shower knob out of the wall. Again, at a $200/night hotel? Get your stuff in working order.

While the front desk staff was helpful and cheerful, the cleaning staff was not. Several times members of the staff blocked my way down the hallway and didn't move until I asked them. Then, just as we were checking out, they parked an enormous cleaning cart right in front of my door! I called, "Hello?!" down the hallway -- two members of the staff looked right at me, and then walked away. What?

It's not like we had a miserable stay. Free parking and wi-fi and the pool are all pluses. But too many little things went wrong for me to give this place a positive review.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank chinBoston

Dear chinBoston,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. We were very pleased to hear about how much you enjoyed the front desk staff and most of the amenities of the hotel - including our connecting indoor/outdoor pools. However, the rest of your comments were disappointing. I have already shared them with the appropriate members of the hotel team and they are being addressed. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with our Trip Advisor readers who are looking for a Providence hotel. We hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

We spent the weekend in this hotel in downtown Providence. I always look for the most modern and comfortable hotel and it was between the Westin and the Marriott I decided on the Marriott because it offered a swimming pool. Actually the pool is very cool because it flows from indoors to outdoors. There is a nice gym available for guests as well. The room was very comfortable and spacious with tea and coffee machine and large flat screen TV. My room was near the elevator which is never a good idea as you hear the elevator traffic so i would suggest always asking for a room away from the elevators. Parking is free and the hotel but they charge you extra for internet in the room. The location is very convenient to all parts of Providence. Breakfast was very good, they had an unbelievable chef making omelets for everyone and she was running four pans at a time. There really isn't much to see in Providence as far as touring goes but if you need to be here for a couple of nights I would suggest this hotel.

Dear travelxpertNY,
Thank you for your rave reviews! We appreciate your feedback about how awesome our breakfast chef is - four pans at once...pretty cool! Thanks again for taking the time. Hope you enjoy the last few weeks of summer! PS: Our connecting indoor and outdoor pools are cool!

Reviewed 8 August 2012

After a drive from NJ to Ri and some hefty business on the way, it's always good to arrive at a comfortable hotel and be treated well. A courteous and swift check in to the known comfort of a Marriott room. Never disappoints and always pleases.

Room Tip: Get the Concierge floor if your budget permits.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2012

Dear Phil223,
We appreciate your kind comments about your stay. It is our pleasure to be a source of comfort and courtesy to our travelers. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott. We hope to see you very soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Nice hotel, beautiful pool, nice gym. Wireless, the room are large and clean, nice gift shop, good location, near downtown, no Parking fees.
The outside pool is very nice, with lounge chairs
Rooms have nice working desk with several outlets, very nice setup.
Stayed here several weeks for business

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear scubaspice,
Thank you for your awesome comments! We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Room was clean and the pool was beautiful but the A/C unit (located in the room) was very noisy. When dirty water backed up into our bath tub, no one came to clean the tub after they drained the water. I called the desk clerk who was very apologetic and promised to send some one up right away but they never came. We left the next morning very disgusted.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the noisy pool.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James B
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear James B,
We are beyond disappointed that you felt our hotel feeling the way you did. Please contact me directly so we may discuss this further: jdahler@marriottprovidence.com