“Whatever you do - eat here.”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Edina, Minnesota
“Whatever you do - eat here.”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

This Marriott gives you what you'd expect from a good first class business property in the central core of a city. If by chance you are here for a meeting or conference and must eat your meals here- you're in luck. Someone here knows their way around the kitchen. We had sessions in one of the meeting rooms, and had lunch brought in, and it was so good I stayed in for dinner rather than heading out to the downtown area (which I'm told also has terrific options..apparently Providence is well known for this).

This hotel is withing walking distance to the lovely downtown area,including a good sized mall for shopping. It's also fairly close to Brown University and some very cool architecture.

If you are a fitness enthusiast: the fitness room is very up-to-date with large TV's at each station that actually work. There is also a pool that is large enough to swim a few laps, but very warm. Like a hot tub. So - if you're headed that way and want a giant hot tub, this is an added bonus.

All in all a very nice stay at this property.

Room Tip: It's a quiet location-didn't notice any particular benefit from one location or another.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 1 October 2012
Dear RFMSP,
WOW! Thank you for your amazing feedback about your visit to our hotel. I will pass along your comments about our culinary team. Our Executive Chef, Franco Paterno, has been with us for over 25 years. He and his team are awesome! Hope you can visit us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Fall River, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 September 2012

When we stay in Providence, this is our hotel of choice. The staff,s friendliness, the cleanliness, the outdoor pool area are all our favorite attractions. The King-size beds can't be beat but are not always available. Can't wait for our nest get away.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear tjchicca,
Thank you for your kind words! We appreciate your loyalty and are happy that you continue to choose the Providence Marriott Downtown when ever you visit Providence. See you soon!
New York City
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I loved the indoor/outdoor pool and workout room, but these did get crowded in the afternoon with local people. I asked for a quiet room and got a corner room with a king-size bed...great. Linens were good and furnishings fine. Had some minor problems with housekeeping...they had not checked the drawers after the last guest left, and there were men's underwear and clothes in the drawers! When I tried to call the front desk, the phone didn't work! After I recovered from the Twilight Zone moment, I got a very nice hotel employee to help. I stayed two days in order to attend a reunion in Pawtucket...great location since I could zip on and off Rte. 95 right near the hotel. Lots of free parking. The staff was attentive, and even sent me a fruit platter because of my problems with housekeeping. Very nice. Also, highly recommend the hair salon in the hotel. Did a fabulous job with my hair!

Room Tip: Don't go near the pool area....there are parties at night!
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear gkellyNewYorkCity,
So glad you had such a great stay! We are happy to know that the issue you had was resolved quickly. Thanks for the mention of our G Salon & Spa. They do awesome work!
Gander, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed here in early July 2012, our first time in Rhode Island. We got an exceptionally good price for a three night stay through a website. Very busy hotel. Our room wasn't ready when we got there, so we asked if the front desk could recommend a restaurant close by, and he did, but none of the places he recommended were open! When we returned from the restaurant, (having found a great place ourselves), the concierge who met us outside was really nice and friendly, took our luggage and told us to check in before we parked our vehicle (free parking, yay!) so we could park close to a more convienient entrance. I was a little concerned by the sign when we checked in, from the police/hotel, advising guests to lock their vehicles and be careful because of break-ins. Desk clerk assured me it was just a reminder to be smart and not leave valuables in your car. I would've believed it was just a reminder if I didn't see signs EVERYWHERE with the same message. Made me think the area wasn't the safest. Now I realize that break-ins can happen anywhere, anytime, and that a wise person would not leave valuables in their vehicle, but the number of signs was concerning. The AQUA indoor/outdoor pool was very nice to look at, but was so crowded we didn't go in there at all. Didn't eat at this hotel so can't comment. Free Wi-Fi definite plus. Room was clean/bathroom fine. A bit slow at cleaning up the hallways, some room service trays were left outside the rooms overnight and into the next morning. Close to Providence Mall. I would not stay at this hotel and pay the posted rate, but for $70 a night, it was a bargain.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Mavis10,
Thank you for your great comments! Glad you had such a fantastic stay. We understand that warning our guests that leaving valuables in view in their car is not wise can seem distressing. GPS theft is an issue in cities all across the country. We feel it's our responsibility to remind our guests not to leave their valuable in plain view in their cars. I do apologize that it made you feel uncomfortable. Thanks again for taking the time. We hope to see you again soon!
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This is an old hotel that has not kept up with the times. Although 'downtown' it is inot in the city center. I found this an advantage for my trip. Because the parking is free and you are away from the congested traffic. The highpoint is the pool and exercise room. It serves as a health club for the locals. That is nice because it means it is well equipped and well kept. But that means it is busier than most hotel fitness centers. The indoor/outdoor pool is very large and the water is kept at bath temperature (too hot for some but not me). The concierge room is awkward to navigate around but the evening and morning food were up to Marriott standards. I stayed a week and the service had no complaints about the service but I was not wowed either.

Room Tip: Be careful if on the 6th (top) floor. When I checked in I found the 6th floor is not connected thro...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dear Secondtimothy,
Thank you for choosing to spend a whole week with us. We are pleased to hear that you were quite satisfied with your stay and thank you for your great comments. I am sorry that you did not have the opportunity to be wowed by us. I only hope that you will stay with us again soon so that we can really WOW you this time.
Reviewed 17 September 2012

As a Marriott Elite member who travels 37 wks/yr nationally, and internationally, I wanted a fair assessment of this hotel: 3 point average is pushing it; 2.5 is more like it. My experience of this hotel is a little bit of everyone elses combined. Based on my week stay here, I concur that all reviewers (good or bad) are pretty much right on!

Understand that this is new england: old and expensive! This hotel is no different. Upon check-in we (& several other families) also waited a few hours for a room... that did not bother us; the hotel might have been busy or short staff. Quite disappointed that our Marriott Elite status was'nt recognized though as we had saved points for this vacation. We ate at the lobby restaurant while waiting; food was decent, average, somewhat pricey to others/average to some. Athmosphere was cozy yet busy at that time.

Their claim to fame: AQUA indoor/outdoor pool which can get crowded at certain times due to bar/lounge social area. Free hotel parking & internet/wi-fi a plus. Free shuttle within 1.5 miles radius; great if you are here for Brown University. Convenient location if you want a place right off the freeway exit.

Don't expect southern hospitality. Service is lackluster at times; some front desk staff are friendlier and willing to go that extra mile than others (it really all depends on the individual you get). Same with housekeeping. Our bathroom needed major sanitizing: smells like pee from previous inhabitants, the tub and grout needs a dose of bleaching. Maintenance: My personal judgment of a hotel's cleanliness and upkeep is by how clean or filthy their vents are. Our room fridge was broken and was replaced promptly by another broken fridge. The side entrances could use heavy duty powerwashing, new light bulbs, the cigarette & trash receptacles needs to be emptied. There are food trays on the hallways. We happen to have a (cheap lightweight) wooden door that doesn't fit properly to the jamb. Room is basic, adequate, clean (depends on your standard of clean), overall room & hotel decor is drab. Outdated hallways needs new carpeting.

Generally, not up to par with "Marriott" standards (hmm, it might be a franchise?). Like one reviewer says there are "too many little things" that prevents giving this hotel a top notch review and it is certainly way overpriced (if you paid $200+ per nt). Nothing fancy here - only the price. However, after reading all comments, the satisfied customers that gave decent reviews seemed to have paid more reasonable rates (i.e. if I paid $75/nt at this hotel, I'd say "wow, great deal" as well with raving reviews). In short, the price justifies the quality, vice versa, however you want to look at it.

Lastly, I love all the "diplomatic responses" by this hotel's public relations mgr after each and every tripadvisor comment. It shows they care and are paying attention. Unfortunately, all that apologizing and reiterating the positives, doesn't change the fact that another summer is gone and we saved & spent money on a sucky stay!

Room Tip: Borrow the key and inspect your room first... make sure everything works and it is to your liking !
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 19 September 2012
Dear minniemae,
Thank you for such a thorough review. We respond to every comment posted because we do care. Every guest comment is an opportunity to grow (good or bad). When we receive good or great feedback - especially when one of our associates is mentioned, we use that to identify and praise our key people. Nothing says you're awesome like seeing it in black and white. And when we receive comments that tell us we need to fix something or do something better or differently, we take that opportunity to do just that. We truly respect what I our guests have to say. I thank you for sharing your comments from our claim to fame to those not worth bragging rights. I'd like to thank you as well for your loyalty to Marriott. As always, please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further: jdahler@marriottprovidence.com
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Spend here a couple of nights during the weekend. The rooms are fine and the service is good. Also the outdoor/indoor swimming pool and the fitness room are enjoyable. It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the Providence Mall where all the activities take place..

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 15 September 2012
Dear Eric S,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our Trip Advisor readers. We are pleased that you enjoyed our connecting indoor and outdoor pools and fitness center. It is our pleasure to serve you during your stay and we hope to see you again very soon.