“Perfect Providence hotel”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We booked this hotel mainly because of the outdoor pool & location. It surpassed our expectations by far. The rooms are standard but the staff and the extras are what makes it amazing. When we checked in we mentioned it was our anniversary and Irving R. (Guest service agent) went out of his way to make our stay memorable. Thanks Irving! The pool was nice, not enough lounge chairs but plenty of seating. There was a band on Saturday that brought a great island & resorty feel to the property. The on site restaurant was surprisingly good and very reasonably priced for a hotel. The waitstaff was super attentive and friendly but not pushy.
The walk to the downtown is maybe 10 minutes and you are walking along the capital's parking lot for most of the way - very safe and easy.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is coming to Providence in the summer and is looking for an hotel within walking distance of most major attractions.

• Stayed: August 2013
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

Dear Ashlee D,
Thank you for taking the time to share your awesome review of our hotel! I'm so delighted that Irving took such good care of you on your anniversary! I will share your comments about him and our hotel with our whole team. I am so pleased that you had such a great time and excellent dining experience at AQUA, our resort-style outdoor lounge. Thank you also for commenting on how easy it is to walk to so many area attractions that are near our hotel. We look forward to hosting you again very soon! Thanks for the recommendation!

There are newer reviews for Providence Marriott Downtown

Reviewed 9 August 2013

For over 3 months I would stay at this location for business. The staff provides a pleasant welcome upon arrival and throughout my stay. I've watch a particular staff member named Jonathan grow and have continuously been both helpful and friendly. The entire staff makes my stay feel like a home away from home :).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear MiamiVibe703,
Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review! I will be sure to share your feedback about how well Jonathan has taken care of you with the hotel team. We look forward to hosting you in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

..and I've stayed at most of them. Although not really downtown, the free parking is a bonus and the hotel does run a shuttle to many locations in the area. Or you can simply walk if the weather permits. A very scenic 15 minute trip past the State House will get you to the river area where there is shopping (Providence Place mall) and a number of restaurants. A bit longer of a trek if you are heading up toward Brown Univ. and the College Hill area but still very manageable.

The rooms are what you would expect in most Marriott properties, both in terms of size and amenities. Very friendly and helpful staff. The restaurant is fair, certainly good in a pinch.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BernieG
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Dear BernieG,
Thank you for choosing the Providence Marriott Downtown as your favorite hotel in Providence. We appreciate your feedback and that you took the time to share your experience with us. I'll be sure to share your review with the team! We look forward to hosting you when you visit Providence again.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Tremendous staff at this location. Everyone is friendly and helpful. The housekeepers were better than most concierges. Whoever does the training should be congratulated.

Restaurant is pretty good and the pool is very nice. The only area for improvement is the spa/salon which is run by an independent operator and was not very friendly or welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear islndtrvlr,
Thank you for such an awesome 5 star review! We appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. I will most definitely share your comments with the whole team. We look forward to hosting you again very soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had a quick stay for 2 nights at this property. Let me begin by telling you that the hotel staff here must have been trained by Disney, as every single person working for the hotel whom we encountered was nothing less than extremely polite and most helpful. Honestly, I cannot think of any other hotel stay outside of Disney where the employees went out of their way to smile and say "hello."

Room- Our group was 2 adults/3 kids, one of whom was in a pack and play. With all of our gear, including stroller and suitcases, along with Pack and Play opened, there was more than ample room for us. Bed quality/linens- exceptional. Bathroom- spacious and had everything you needed. Extremely pleased and wouldn't change a thing. However, I do have one question- why isn't a room safe provided? My only quipp besides the safe is that it took 40 minutes to have extra towels brought to the room. I do give a bit of a pass as I called at 11:00 PM so they may have been somewhat short-staffed.

Meals- we had the pleasure of eating breakfast at the hotel restaurant for the 2 mornings that we were there. The food was great, selections where plentiful and service was top notch.

Property- hotel is very well appointed and appears to have been recently renovated. The lobby is spacious and the pool, indoor connecting to outdoor, was something we used for 3 days that we were there. I mentioned to someone that this pool was absolutely one of the more "busy" hotel pools where there wasn't a chair in sight on deck after 10AM- and not because people were "holding" them with books or t-shirts, but because they were being used. There is a patio behind the pool which holds a few cabanas and extra chairs, so seating was always available. At night, the outdoor seating areas surround fire pits which were a nice touch. Immaculate all around!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone either traveling for business or pleasure. Either way, the staff at this Mariott will go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a pool view. You don't get the noise but you get terrific views at nig...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GK1Impulse

Dear GK1Impulse,
Thank you for such a fantastic 5 star review! Our Marriott team is proud - it's truly our pleasure to host you! Thank you for your detailed feedback about your experience during your stay. It's great comments like yours that help us train our staff - that what we're doing works! And...to always strive to be better hosts. We look forward to seeing you again very soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

Recently spent a few nights at the Providence Downtown Marriot. What a great stay we had. Hotel was very clean with an extremely friendly staff. This hotel has everything you could ask for, restraunt, pool, bar, you name it they have it. Aqua was a very cool spot to relax have a drink and great food. The hotel is listed as in downtown, id say its right outside downtown a little bit of a walk or a short drive but no problem at all. I would definitely recomend anyone heading to providence weather for business or pleasure to stay here. Well done Providence Downtown Marriot

• Stayed: August 2013
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Dear Tg3040,
Thank you for your excellent 5 star review! We are so pleased to know that we took such good care of you during your stay. AQUA is very relaxing - you can't find a lounge like it anywhere else in Providence! Our hotel amenities do make our hotel stand out in the crowd. Thank you for mentioning that! We hope to have the opportunity to host you again this summer or sometime in the near future. Thanks again!

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We were in the area for a tennis tournament and The Marriott was the sponsored hotel for our trip. I should have read the other reviews before booking because we would have loved a room with a door directly out to the pool but that was my fault and I know now for future booking! We had a room up on the 4th floor and it was very quiet and enjoyable.

The only downfall to the stay was that I do not have a credit card and just carry a visa card from my bank and because of this was pre-authorized to my card an extra $50/day ($150 total) for possible damages to our room. They make you sign a form acknowledging that they are going to do this. Had I realized earlier on that this was going to occur I would have brought cash with me to pay for the room. It worked out ok in the end but I wasn't happy about this occurring and expressed my opinion as so upon checking in and was given no option. I didn't like the bottles of water in the room that have probably been sitting there for a long time with the $3.50 price tag on them or the fact that they say they will charge your room for taking pool towels. I still gave a 5 star review though because we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

The pool was great with the indoor/outdoor option. AQUA lounge was great they have a great staff who catered to our every whim. The front desk was great at referring local restaurants for our meals. We loved seeing the staff in every area of the hotel dressed to the nines overseeing everything to make sure it runs smoothly. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: If you enjoy swimming seek a room on the first floor with a door out to the pool!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear amelianicole,
What a great 5 star review! Thank you for taking the time to share you experience. AQUA, our outdoor lounge, is very relaxing and quite unique. We are delighted to know that our AQUA team took such good care of you! I will be sure to share your review with them today. Thanks also for the kudos for the rest of the staff as well. We look forward to hosting you again soon - and this time, with a poolside room!