“Great fun for the family in Providence”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Providence
NYC
“Great fun for the family in Providence”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

I grew up visiting my aunt on the Brown University campus but I hadn't really explored Providence as an adult. I decided to drive up from NYC and tour the city with my boys; we had a fabulous time. There was a wine and cheese reception at arrival and the boys then made a bee-line to the pool. It was a fantastic indoor-outdoor pool with popsicles for the kids and a glass of prosecco for me. We then walked along the river (the city is much safer than I remembered it being 15 yrs ago), had dinner at Jacky's overlooking Waterfire Place and then walked up the steps of the beautiful Capitol. My husband was picked up by shuttle from the train station that night and we drove around College Hill and down to Little Compton the next day, making it back in time for Waterfire. And the boys were so impressed to receive a surprise bag of toys and candies in the room Saturday night.

I didn't get to use the gym, but it looked quite good for a hotel gym. All in all, the rooms were comfortable, the pool was fantastic and the hotel staff was exceptional. We enjoyed our stay so much that we are planning a stop-over on the way to the Cape this weekend.

Room Tip: We reserved a pool-side room. It was a little pricier, but worth the money since our boys are crazy...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear KathSnide,
Thank you for your awesome review! Your pics were great too! I was so pleased to hear your family had such a lovely experience at our hotel. Our indoor and outdoor connecting pools are cool! We look forward to hosting you again this weekend!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Definitely an average property, with dated decor and rooms. The Aqua area was nice, but the service was awful and my fries were served cold. The concierge lounge was nice, and an included shuttle a mile away was useful. Needs much more work and a refresh on the inside.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Joseph T,
Thank you for providing us with such valuable feedback. I apologize for the issue you had at AQUA, our outdoor lounge. Exceptional service is what we strive for in all areas of the hotel. Your comments will be shared with the team to insure that this issue does not happen again. We hope that when you visit Providence again, you will think of us. We look forward to hosting you then. If you would like to discuss your stay further, please feel free to contact me directly at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com
Maryland
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I travel to Cape Cod from Washington, DC a couple of times a year and my new routine involves flying in at around 7-8pm the night before I plan to be on the Cape and staying overnight in Providence. This way, I can have breakfast at Venda's on Atwell's Avenue and pick up some essentials for my visit to the Cape from Venda's and from Scialo Brother's Bakery. This Marriott, located at the bottom of the hill from Atwell's Avenue, fits the bill.

It's also got a nice staff, comfortable rooms and is in a quiet location. There could be better signage directing you to the front of the hotel. It's a little confusing but I'm guessing that's just a first-time thing. I'm a Marriott fan in general and really appreciate all they do in the way of making a traveler comfortable. It's now my Marriott of choice in Providence.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Beverly F,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We view our guests' opinions with great value. Your feedback is helpful to show our staff what we are doing right and what is important to you. Thanks again for such a great review. See you next time you visit Providence! We look forward to hosting you then.
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Whenever I travel I always stay at a Marriott and have never been disappointed. Stayed at this hotel for a tennis event in early August and this hotel is dated! Arrived later in the evening and wanted to order room service, the phone did not work. The tub did not drain when showering and the AC is so loud at night it was impossible to get a good nights sleep. Also, there were water stains on the ceiling and we discovered there was no comforter on one of the beds.

The pool area is very relaxing and the staff at this establishment are very accommodating!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Deb R,
I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us. Thank you for the excellent comments about AQUA, our outdoor lounge, and our staff being so accommodating. I do apologize that you had some issues with your room. If this is something you would like to discuss further, please feel free to contact me directly at jdahler@marriottprovidence.com
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I call it "MY" Providence Marriott!!! Since I stay at the Downtown Providence Marriott two weeks out of the month, I have to say the staff is the best!!! Love the way they call you by name and go out of their way to make sure you are taken care of in every way. I've been traveling all over the country for over 10 years and by far this Hotel is the BEST!!!!! Love the infused water offered in the Lobby everyday and the nice clean rooms!!!!! The restaurant is excellent and room service is just as good!!!! Yes, don't think twice about staying here BEST Hotel in Providence ( I've stayed at a couple of the others)!!!!!!

Room Tip: I have stayed on all floors on all sides and I am still trying decided which I like best... No bad r...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Susan F,
What an awesome review! Thank you for sharing it on Trip Advisor for all to read! We are delighted to be your Providence Marriott and we look forward to hosting you again and again. When we receive such great reviews from a seasoned travel like yourself, we know our team is hosting brilliantly!
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Nothing could have been better. Check - in was smooth, room was very clean, spacious and bed very comfortable.

Very close to main town, everything easily accessible

Evenings around the pool, outside pool bar open late, with the lovely table gas heaters is it got a bit chilly ...Lovely.

Room Tip: "C" Tower, quiet rooms, and can use staircase right to quiet part of car park if needed
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Tracy P,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel and our wonderful staff on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased you had such a great experience and that we had the opportunity to host you! Thank you for giving AQUA, our outdoor lounge, such a great review as well. We hope you can visit again soon.
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We originally visited the Providence Marriott Downtown for the Brown University Graduation in June. We were so impressed with the hotel that we went back for our Anniversary. What makes this hotel stand out is the high level of service, attention to detail, positive attitude and professionalism of the staff. Both times we arrived early and were greeted with a smile, chocolates and most importantly an early check-in. There were complimentary trays of cheese and crackers as well as fruit, wine, bottles of water and flavored water refreshers in the lobby to enjoy as you settled in. I cannot say enough about Jennifer, who is the Concierge. She provides the type of service you would expect from a luxury, boutique hotel. Both times we were there, the hotel was filled to capacity, yet Jennifer took the time to recommend restaurants, make reservations, arrange for shuttles and answer questions. She gets to know her guests and goes out of her way to meet their needs. For our Anniversary we were upgraded to a Concierge level room which was well appointed, spacious and very comfortable with a view of the pool. We were even set a bottle of wine with a card as a remembrance. We enjoyed the wonderful indoor pool which flows into an outdoor pool with loungers in and out as well as a hot tub. We ate in the hotel restaurant on our first visit and we were quite pleased with both the quality of the food and again the excellent service. We also enjoyed having a shop with a Starbucks on the premises.
We also appreciate the convenience of the free parking. We commend the total staff of this hotel. They make this hotel a Providence gem and we look forward to many more visits.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jennifer D, Public Relations Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Sharon L,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor! Our restaurants, AQUA and the Bluefin Grille, are excellent and offer incredible dining experiences by our culinary team and exceptional service by the wait staff. Our goal throughout all the outlets of the hotel is to host all our guests brilliantly and we are so delighted that we could make both your visits so special. Thank you for recommending us and we'll see you very soon!