“Pleasant stay....with some exceptions”

Providence Marriott Downtown
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I stayed overnight for our anniversary....booked the romance package. Hotel was beautiful upon entering the lobby and staff was very friendly & courteous...always greeting us each time we were out of our room. The pool area looked very nice but did seem like there wasn't enough seating and looked like it could get crowed very easily. We ate outside the hotel so cannot review the restaurant.

Unlike some of the other reviews, our room on the Concierge level was nicely maintained however, did lack the updated amenities related to phone/chargers, etc. We basically had a nice stay but in the end had to speak to the manager re: staff entering our room while we were out when we had our 'Do Not Disturb' sign hung out on the door's knob. Upon check in, we asked that the champagne and strawberries be kept on hold until we figured out our schedule.....we didn't want to drink alcohol and then drive. The staff person said it wasn't a problem and to call when we want them delivered. So imagine our surprise when we got back to the room later in the evening and found the items had been delivered! A sticky note had been placed on the TV stating the items can be found in the mini-fridge. When we opened the door, we saw a large plate with 5 (!) strawberries...the first thing I said to my husband was "Why 5? There are 2 of us...why not 6 or 8?" However, the BIGGER question we asked ourselves was why did staff enter the room with the sign on the door? Upon checking out, we spoke to the manager about this and she stated that by no means were staff to have entered the room and also, clarified that there are usually 6 strawberries delivered. I responded that the strawberries had become frozen (which she couldn't believe...."the fridge was that cold"!) and I further stated that, for a Marriott, 6 doesn't reflect the "higher end" hotel they are trying to be or worth the package deal.

She did offer to refund $20. For us, it's about the experience and unfortunately, the trust was broken. We are avid Marriott customers...in the past 2 weeks, my husband has stayed at Marriotts seven times.... this was our first romantic package we took advantage of and unfortunately, feel let down.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PVDRI_JD, General Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear bmts,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience with us. I want you to know that I am very sorry about the miscommunication with your amenity delivery. I am following up with the room service team about delivery procedures. I'll be honest with you that I have a soft spot for our guests who are celebrating a romantic weekend. I expect nothing less than perfect service. I apologize and am disappointed that your experience was not what you had expected. A member of our team will be following up with you soon.
Eric Churchill, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,553)

Reviewed 14 August 2014

I've recently spent the week here and I've enjoyed my stay thoroughly. The hotel itself is very updated and my room was very clean (and included an outstanding view of the pool/AQUA Lounge). The majority of my meals were enjoyed at the Bluefin Grille where the food was delicious, but the restaurant staff was really what made my dining experiences memorable. Everyone was very friendly and extremely helpful. I was often greeted by name every time I came down for a meal, and on top of making me feel very much at home, they were all very accommodating as well. I would absolutely recommend this hotel--and especially the restaurant--to anyone looking to stay in Providence, I don't think the service here can be beat!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Briana R

Dear Briana R,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experiences. I am delighted that you had such an awesome stay. Our resort-style hotel in the heart of the creative capital is well-known for the exceptional service. I thank you for telling the TA community about how much your enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit us again very soon. We look forward to it!
Best regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Your level of service and personal attention are exceptional for such a moderately priced hotel! We especially enjoyed talking to the friendly, well informed college students manning the front desk. Michaela made the reservations for us over the phone and made us feel very special and welcomed. This is our favorite hotel in Providence!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula M

Dear Paula M,
Thank you for sharing your experience with the TA community. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our front desk team is delightful and I'm glad you got the chance to know them. I was also happy to read that Michaela took such good care of you.
Hope to see you again very soon,

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

They have done a great job with the lobby, pool, and fitness center, but my room certainly needed a facelift. When I got to my room the door was open, I found that the 1960's era door needed to be pulled shut. The bathroom has drop ceilings and was not as clean as I would have expected.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Mick1915
PVDRI_JD, General Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear mick1915,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I apologize that your door was not functioning properly and for your dissatisfaction with the cleanliness of your bathroom. That is certainly not acceptable and will be immediately addressed by our operations team leaders. I am glad you enjoyed our fitness center, lobby and our connecting indoor and outdoor pools. I hope you had some time to relax at AQUA our outdoor, poolside lounge. I also hope you will visit again.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I only live 2 miles away but in the summer we LOVE visiting AQUA. That's the outside pool and bar area. We go here to feel like we are away on vacation. This time I surprised my husband with a 2 night stay. From the moment I parked my car to unload, a gentleman was there to load my bags on a cart. Check in was swift and easy.
Went into room and was a bit disappointed with the upkeep. Not the housekeeping, that was fine each day. The rooms need some updating as mentioned by others from years ago. It looks like they put all the renovations into the lobby and pool area and forgot the rooms. Worn furniture, although dark wood color which is nice, but still needs new. The walls are not painted but covered by wallpaper that isn't suppose to look like wallpaper. There was a seam bulging from top to bottom of wall and a bubble. The alarm clock. I've been to 3 other hotels this year alone, one being another Marriott, and everyone has a docking station on the alarm clock to put your MP3s and iPods. There's is very old. Carpeting and baseboards need some attention. The bathroom would be the worst. Old tub and fixtures. The shower and toilet is in a separate room and it's too small. Barely able to move around. When you open the door, it bangs into the shower railing. Toilet flushes really good.
On the Saturday, we spent most of the day out by the pool. You have to get out there really early. Went out at 9 and all the chairs were taken. We sat at a table with 2 comfortable chairs and brought over a portable umbrella. The best part of this hotel is it's pool/bar known as AQUA. With their fire pits (about 4 or 5) and outdoor lamps, canopy, and on this day they had entertainment. Excellent two-man show. One on keyboards and vocals and the other on steel drum. Ahhh how nice it was sitting in the sun, eyes closed and listening to the music. Felt like I was away on an island or cruise ship. When we arrived, it took forever for a waitress to come over to us. (same thing happened the night before that I forgot to add) My husband got up to track her down to ask her to come over. While he was doing so, a manager asked the people in the cabana right next to us if they had been taken care of. They said no. Guess who was serviced first? The cabana people. We were there before they were but because when you reserve a cabana, although they don't charge, you do have to guarantee them that you will spend $250 during your allotted time. Which isn't a problem if you have a group. I figure they got service first because that was guaranteed income and possibly a good tip. That irked me, but that's America. The pool side menu is ok. At night, the menus are cool. They light up! My husband ordered a turkey burger that he said was good. I had a tomato/mozz. balls/basil/balsamic etc. salad. The waitress asked if I minded croutons and I said, "ahhhh, no. That's ok". Figured I'd pick them out. Low and behold, I think I ordered a crouton salad. You should have seen all of them. I will try to post a picture of them. Prices were $10 for the burger and $7 for the salad. Shifts changed and now our we had a waiter. DAN C. He was everything the waitress from the night before and that day weren't . He was attentive and friendly. We even had a good laugh within our convo about how he tripped on the stairs twice. Most certainly he was good and the side helper, DERICK. He helped our waitress earlier in the day and DAN. He worked diligently. Not much of a talker, but you could tell, he was concentrating on his job. Maybe he was new? Either way, this kid worked hard and when we went back to AQUA at 10pm, he was still working his butt off. He had a 12 hr shift. As I had mentioned, we had returned to the outdoor bar after going to the Waterfires. The bartender was busy. She was trying to keep up with the post wedding guests and bridal party and still wait on us and 2 others. Her name was CHELSEA. She saved Team Females when it came to service. She was easy to talk to and attentive. The outdoor bar closes at 11pm but the indoor bar stays open. We sat at the bar and our bartender was JUSTIN. This blew me away. He remembered us from our day visit in June to AQUA. He bartended outside that day and we had good conversations. We weren't there long enough to sit on the stool and he said he remembered us. That we were from E Providence. WHAT???? I could not believe his memory never mind the fact he sees hundreds of guests a day. Very impressive! I can also say that thanks to him, he turned me onto Hendericks Gin back in June. I told him how I hated gin and the smell. He made me a drink and said if I didn't like it he'd make me something else. When you don't know what you want for a drink, ask the bartender.
On the morning that we checked out, there was a very tall young gentleman pushing a laundry cart. I did not catch his name, but I gave notice that he saw us coming and instead of coming towards us with the cart, he had stopped at a distance so there would be no tightness in the hall. When we started to pass him, he said "Good Morning! Have a nice day". Right away I noticed how polite he was and as I said, he was young. Hard guess no more than 21. How refreshing.
All in all, the draw to the hotel (besides being in Providence and good locale) is AQUA. If that wasn't there, we would never have gone there. We don't visit in the off season. I do want to give a shout out to an employee who I didn't see, but my husband did and his name is DOMINICK. We met him 3 yrs ago when we first started going to AQUA. Excellent bartender. He too, remembered us when we returned for our second season. Ever since then, we always are on the look out for DOMINICK.

Room Tip: The upgrade poolside rooms are not worth it in my opinion. You don't have much of a patio or are...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
PVDRI_JD, General Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear lndastalker,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. Your review was very thorough and I appreciate that your took the time and care to mention the associates who impacted your stay. I will be sure that Dan C, Derrick, Chelsea, Justin and Dominick are recognized for the excellent service they gave you, I do apologize that your room was not up to standard. I do hope since you and your husband are such big fans of AQUA, that you will visit us before the summer ends. Thank you for your detailed comments; it really helps us improve and provide our loyal guests like you the experience they expect. Hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

We enjoyed our stay from the fast check in to the relaxing pool to the courteous help. We received great advice from molly about restaurants and a boat ride in newport. We have decided this is our new home away from home. Very clean, very convenient, very friendly and informative staff.

Room Tip: Be nice to the front desk and reservation people.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
PVDRI_JD, General Manager at Providence Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Dear Ruby G,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. It is our pleasure to be your home away from home. I will be sure that Molly is recognized for the great advice she provided you. We look forward to your next visit.
Sincerely, Eric Churchill, General Manager

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I have stayed at Providence Marriott at least on 5 different trips and this one is my favorite. First of all the renovations that have been made to this property are very nice and makes it feel more lux. I am a travel agent and have stayed at many properties and my biggest priority is customer service. I had called the hotel on my way that morning and asked if there was something special that could be done on my visit. I had just recovered from major surgery and was also celebrating a milestone birthday. Anne told me she was happy to send up some amenities. When we checked in originally it wasn't in the room and our door was opened (my only real complaint) and I called and they advised it would be there shortly. I was very pleased to see once I returned that I had a bottle of champagne and a beautiful birthday cake delivered and a handwritten note from Anne about my special weekend. Thank you to your staff for the little things that sometimes go unnoticed. I will be back and I will tell my clients to stay there as well.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear HollyM,
Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us and sharing your experiences. I am so glad that Anne took such good care of you. I will be sure to share your comments with the team. I hope you are recovering well from your surgery and we hope to see you again very soon!
Best regards,