“Lovely staff but with downsides”

Christopher Dodge House
Ranked #1 of 5 Providence B&B and Inns
“Lovely staff but with downsides”
Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

Two nights at Christopher Dodge house to explore Providence. The house itself is very imposing. The best bit was the breakfast room - high ceilings, exposed brick walls and lovely wood floor.
The staff were great - very helpful and pleasant.
Would say breakfast was average for this type of place - hot option available both mornings (although no choice) and freshly made cakes etc (fruit bread on first day was lovely)
We had a room on the ground floor, street side. Quite a small room but with a lovely comfortable bed. Luckily away from the interstate noise but on second night the people above were very noisy - clumping about for some time. I realise that this was not caused by the hotel itself but it is a function of the wooden floors.
The other downside of the room was the bathroom - very narrow and with a shower that took ages to get hot (there is a notice warning about this). However it was also quite low pressure so not an efficient shower at all!
Location is not that far from the downtown area - 15-20 min walk (nearer to Mall) and about the same over to Brown.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Onlynamefree

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Westford, Ma, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

The Inn and all it's rooms are beautiful, and well appointed. The service was excellent, and the inn was immaculate. Breakfast was delicious. Great, convenient location. Only downside was the common room was quite small, and we were there for our family reunion with 20 people. It got a little crowded, but in their defense, they did give us the heads up on this.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Janet P
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Being a single traveler, I prefer the ambience of a B&B over hotels.
The Christopher Dodge House is great. It's an old mansion that's been restored. The rooms are done in period style, but with modern amenities. The staff are friendly and attentive. The tasty breakfasts vary each day with both hot food and continental choices.
It is across I-95 from the state capital and downtown. Being from Colorado, I didn't mind the walk. When I did drive, I didn't find parking to be a problem downtown.
While there, you must try the seafood at Hemingway's. It's on South Main, next to the river and lot's of neat shops for browsing.

Room Tip: Rooms away from I-95
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank ColoradoMtTraveler
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at the Christopher Dodge House Aug 11-12 2013 while visiting my son in Providence. Pros: The accomodations were very nice and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Lovely room with a fireplace (unfortunately summer trip, so can't comment on that!), private bath and unexpected kitchen complete with sink, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, toaster and dinnerware. Bed was soooo comfy, and bathroom well equiped with the usual fare (hair dryer, soaps/shampoos and plush, thirsty towels). Sitting room on the main level of the house was very cozy with freshly baked goodies and chilled water 24/7. Breakfast was sumptuous with changing hot meal each day supplemented by pastries, breads, cereals. Off street parking was great in a city that has narrow streets and up until recently did not allow overnight street parking. Cons: Right up against the Interstate, so a tad noisy. Having said that, R.I. actually moved the interstate a number of years ago and sliced the city in parts, so I would guess it was not there a few years ago. Nothing they can do about that. We stayed in what actually turned out to be a basement room with windows at parking lot level which at first did not thrill me. But, I would venture to say this helped cut down our interstate noise, plus it meant we did not have to lug baggage up several flights. My only complaint about that is, the parking lot is well lit (a good thing!!) but the curtains on our windows were a light colored material and the room was brighter at night than I would like. Simple fix - put darker, lined curtains up! I would also prefer to have fewer kitchen elements and a comfy chair and table for reading if I did not feel like going to the sitting room. But that's just me!
All in all, my husband is returning to Providnece next year for a conference and is already thinking he would like to stay there rather than the conference hotel. Everything in Providence is walking distance, so the Christopher Dodge House is truly accessible to downtown and the train station. Also, since my husband is very allergic to the cat my son owns, we have already decided this will probably be our "go to" location when we go back for family visits :o).

Room Tip: We have only been here once, so I cannot comment on the rest of the rooms. I suspect ones that face...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Doris C
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013

This Inn seemed old/worn out. At least the room had wood floors so we didn't have to worry about gross dirty carpets. It was located in a ~shabby part of town and we didn't feel safe arriving back after dinner in the dark.
The worst part was that it was super noisy -- our room seemed like it was just feet away from a major freeway. Traffic roared all night -- didn't sleep at all.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jennifer P
Port Deposit, Maryland
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed at the Christopher Dodge House for four nights while vacationing in Rhode Island. Our room had high ceilings, window air-conditioning units and high ceilings. Very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was tasty and the staff friendly. The downside is the location---right next to I-95 with constant traffic noise. Also, not an easy walk to restaurants and other attractions. There is no elevator---our room was on the third floor. Climbing three flights of stairs over and over again was not fun. The surrounding houses looked run-down and in need of repair. Looks like a neighborhood in the beginnings of gentrification. I would recommend staying at a more centrally located hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

We were visiting Brown University and it was more than a mile away. I didn't notice that before I booked the hotel. However, the taxi was quick and the driver knew exactly which building to take us to. The location is convenient to the Capitol and Providence Place Mall. It is also close to the Amtrak station, but part of the walk was uphill on a brick sidewalk - a little tough with luggage. The hotel was charming and clean. Breakfast was delicious. The only down side is the traffic noise - did not get a restful sleep. It would be good if the mentioned this when you are booking so they could put sound sleepers on the noisy side of the building.

• Stayed August 2013