“Lovely characterful B&B which made you feel at home”

Christopher Dodge House
Ranked #1 of 5 Providence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Lovely characterful B&B within 10 minute walk from the Mall and around 15 mins from the train station. The staff were very friendly and helpful when we checked in, provided us with a map of the area and answered all our questions we had. The rooms themselves were big and airy, decorated to fit with the period building and the bed was sooo comfy. They had a common room on the first floor which had a PC you could surf the web and print from (also wifi), books to read, microwave, fridge full of drinks and chocolate bars for a dollar, complimentary coffee and cakes. The breakfast room was next door and provided continental items with freshly baked muffins and cake and they offered a cooked breakfast special. A couple of the specials were the breakfast burrito and Finnish Pancake, both never tried before and they were lovely. When you walked in after a day sightseeing the hotel smelt of freshly baked goods, as it was pumpkin season there were tasty Pumpkin Spiced muffins in the common room and cookie jars by the front door filled, sweet jars on the landings so you could help yourself, a lovely homely touch. We were at the back of the hotel which over looked the interstate which was a little noisy to start with but quickly turned into white noise and didn't really hear it. It was such a friendly/homely place to stay, it is well recommended for anybody visiting Providence.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank fraggles1975

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this charming house close to the capitol building, yet far enough away from the hustle and bustle of central Providence. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and the rooms were large and comfortable. Breakfasts were just too big for us. Plenty of choice, though, so really it was our own fault that we ate so much! A lovely place to stay in Pprovidence.

Room Tip: If you have problems with stairs, ask for a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David499564
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I thought this was a wonderful B&B. What a wonderful old house. The staff we very pleasant and nice. They were very helpful when needed. The room was very clean and roomy and the bed very comfortable. We found if you turned the air conditioning unit on low, it was a great 'white noise' for the I-95 traffic near by. We thought the breakfasts were very good. Yummy homemade pastries/breads, along with oatmeal, hardboiled eggs, etc. There was also a hot meal every morning that they offered, which were very good. You will not go hungry. The 'common room' was very nice and comfortable with a computer, if needed. There was ice, a refrigerator with drinks and a coffee/tea maker. They also had fresh baked cookies everyday, which was a nice touch. The location was very good - you can walk to downtown/mall and over to Brown University - all within 10 - 20 minutes walking. We enjoy walking, so it was no problem for us. It was just fun to enjoy all the sights and look at all the neat old neighborhoods around Brown University, etc. All-in-all, it was a very pleasant experience and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank columbinecolorado
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Two nights at Christopher Dodge house to explore Providence. The house itself is very imposing. The best bit was the breakfast room - high ceilings, exposed brick walls and lovely wood floor.
The staff were great - very helpful and pleasant.
Would say breakfast was average for this type of place - hot option available both mornings (although no choice) and freshly made cakes etc (fruit bread on first day was lovely)
We had a room on the ground floor, street side. Quite a small room but with a lovely comfortable bed. Luckily away from the interstate noise but on second night the people above were very noisy - clumping about for some time. I realise that this was not caused by the hotel itself but it is a function of the wooden floors.
The other downside of the room was the bathroom - very narrow and with a shower that took ages to get hot (there is a notice warning about this). However it was also quite low pressure so not an efficient shower at all!
Location is not that far from the downtown area - 15-20 min walk (nearer to Mall) and about the same over to Brown.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Onlynamefree
Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

The Inn and all it's rooms are beautiful, and well appointed. The service was excellent, and the inn was immaculate. Breakfast was delicious. Great, convenient location. Only downside was the common room was quite small, and we were there for our family reunion with 20 people. It got a little crowded, but in their defense, they did give us the heads up on this.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Janet P
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Being a single traveler, I prefer the ambience of a B&B over hotels.
The Christopher Dodge House is great. It's an old mansion that's been restored. The rooms are done in period style, but with modern amenities. The staff are friendly and attentive. The tasty breakfasts vary each day with both hot food and continental choices.
It is across I-95 from the state capital and downtown. Being from Colorado, I didn't mind the walk. When I did drive, I didn't find parking to be a problem downtown.
While there, you must try the seafood at Hemingway's. It's on South Main, next to the river and lot's of neat shops for browsing.

Room Tip: Rooms away from I-95
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ColoradoMtTraveler
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We stayed at the Christopher Dodge House Aug 11-12 2013 while visiting my son in Providence. Pros: The accomodations were very nice and clean and the staff very friendly and helpful. Lovely room with a fireplace (unfortunately summer trip, so can't comment on that!), private bath and unexpected kitchen complete with sink, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, toaster and dinnerware. Bed was soooo comfy, and bathroom well equiped with the usual fare (hair dryer, soaps/shampoos and plush, thirsty towels). Sitting room on the main level of the house was very cozy with freshly baked goodies and chilled water 24/7. Breakfast was sumptuous with changing hot meal each day supplemented by pastries, breads, cereals. Off street parking was great in a city that has narrow streets and up until recently did not allow overnight street parking. Cons: Right up against the Interstate, so a tad noisy. Having said that, R.I. actually moved the interstate a number of years ago and sliced the city in parts, so I would guess it was not there a few years ago. Nothing they can do about that. We stayed in what actually turned out to be a basement room with windows at parking lot level which at first did not thrill me. But, I would venture to say this helped cut down our interstate noise, plus it meant we did not have to lug baggage up several flights. My only complaint about that is, the parking lot is well lit (a good thing!!) but the curtains on our windows were a light colored material and the room was brighter at night than I would like. Simple fix - put darker, lined curtains up! I would also prefer to have fewer kitchen elements and a comfy chair and table for reading if I did not feel like going to the sitting room. But that's just me!
All in all, my husband is returning to Providnece next year for a conference and is already thinking he would like to stay there rather than the conference hotel. Everything in Providence is walking distance, so the Christopher Dodge House is truly accessible to downtown and the train station. Also, since my husband is very allergic to the cat my son owns, we have already decided this will probably be our "go to" location when we go back for family visits :o).

Room Tip: We have only been here once, so I cannot comment on the rest of the rooms. I suspect ones that face...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family