“What more could a traveler want?”

Christopher Dodge House
Ranked #1 of 5 Providence B&B and Inns
Massachusetts
“What more could a traveler want?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

In its appearance inside and outside, it is meticulous. Entry, hallways and common rooms are well-lite and attractively decorated. The staff is courteous and available for those many tourists' questions. The guest rooms are tasteful and large with queen beds, bureaus and desks in most if not all. The colors of each room are soft and
relaxing. The lovely breakfast room invites the guest to linger and meet other travelers.
Lots of fresh breakfast items and hot beverages.
We have chosen this delightful Inn our last three visits to the City of Providence.
Do visit it!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Palm Bay, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

"Now THIS is nice - perfect!" Those were the words I said to myself the moment I walked in the Christopher Dodge House. I felt "at home" even though I was hundreds of miles away from home. I was able to complete my business meetings in and around the area and then return to a clean and quiet atmosphere.
I was completely surprised by the great breakfasts I had every morning - what a great way to start the day. And the staff always made me fell like I was welcome - so professional yet balanced with friendliness. Maybe next time I'll try to bring my wife - would be a great get away. Definitely would recommend the Christopher Dodge House.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank joetrem
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2009

We turned up in Providence with no where to stay following a disaster in Newport. We found this House using Sat Nav. We knocked on the door in the evening to enquire about a room, to be greeted by a very friendly and helpful lady who gave us a very nice, clean and spacious room at a reasonable price ($109 a night). The only downside was a little noise from the freeway which seemed to go constantly all night! It was a 5 minute walk to the train station and the State Capital building, along with restaurants and bars nearby (we can recommend the chessecake factory for nice reasonably priced, large portioned food). Breakfast catered for vegetarians and the lady was nice enough to do us a breakfast bag to take away because we had a early start. There is a sitting room and a dining room. There are no lifts, but you wouldn't expect one in an old building like this, and narrow stairs.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2009

I stayed here in order to visit a grandchild at Brown and it was my first visit to Providence. There are many stairs, tight parking situation, nothing walking distance in the neighborhood. Breakfast was only one choice, ham which I don't eat. No fruit offered. The light by the bed was inadequate, maybe they think people don't read in bed. You will need to rent a car or pay $$$ for cab from the airport, the hotel shuttle doesn't go there. I understand this is a different experience from chain motels, with coffeemakers in the room, people on duty in the lobby, etc. It was clean and there is a room with free PC. Of course it had charm as an old house, but not so much as a place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Long Island NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2009

I stayed at the Christopher Dodge House for 4 nights and found it to be a great little place. The breakfast each morning consisted of a different hot entree, along with yogurt, two different types of breakfast cake, and bagels, bread and English muffins that could be toasted in the toaster. Orange juice and cranberry juice were available, as well as milk. With the hot entree they also served fresh, delicious fruit. If you didn't want the hot entree, you could just get the fruit. The entrees were a little heavy, such as apple-stuffed French toast, a Finnish pancake (delicious, never had it before!) and a potato, cheese and herb frittata with or without bacon, but you could have oatmeal or cold cereal instead if you want. The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. As far as the noise goes, we faced away from the highway. With the air conditioning on we didn't hear a thing, but with it off you could hear the cars a bit. Being from the suburbs of New York, this didn't bother me at all. The staff was very friendly. Every day, more than once, they filled the cookie jar with cookies, which was a nice treat. In the dining room where breakfast is served (which is a lovely room, by the way), they keep a Keurig going, so you could choose from a few selections of coffee. There are also some selections of tea or hot chocolate that do not use the Keurig. Great convenience! Also, love the candy and soda/water that you could get for one dollar - very convenient as well. There's a common room with a computer, which was helpful to me when I was trying to plan something for our trip.

My only recommendation would be to put a refrigerator in the rooms. We like to bring snacks and buy food while away, as well as put cold packs in the refrigerator for our cooler for drinks while we are driving around. Not a huge deal, just would be a nice amenity. We knew there weren't any refrigerators, so we planned accordingly, but it would be nice.

Overall, I think this place is great. Yes, there are only stairs, so if you have trouble with stairs then stay on the first floor. But if you need to go to Providence, this place is convenient to the city, and is certainly walking distance to the mall, I'd say a ten-minute walk at most. You just need to walk down Holden away from Smith Street, then make a left and you're just about there. Hope you enjoy your stay there as much as we did!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Carmichael, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2009

I did not rate the Christopher Dodge B&B because I couldn't stay......let me explain. From California, I booked 2 nights at the B&B from the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor. In all my years of travel this is the only establishment where I canceled my reservation upon seeing my reserved room.

First, let me say that the staff were extremely nice in taking my reservation, and when I made a second call to the Christopher Dodge to make sure I didn't have a room facing the freeway (read all trip advisor reviews)!

Driving into the neighborhood, my son and I saw individuals that made us feel unsafe in the neighborhood.

At the Christopher Dodge we were greeted by Alitha (spelling?) She was very nice and showed us to our room upstairs. Unfortunately I could hear the freeway noise walking up the stairs and in our room. I asked her if this was the room away from the freeway and she said yes.....yet you could see the freeway. I immediately mentioned there was no way I could sleep in this room. She told me she would check with the owners to cancel my second night but I would have to pay for that night. She gave us a tour of the B&B to make us feel comfortable but I couldn't see past the old carpet in the hallways, the noise and although the rooms have been renovated, I did not find them to be inviting.

I decided to give it a try and spend the one night there. My son went to the car to retrieve our heavy bags (we were on the East Coast for 2 weeks). After carrying the bags up 3 flights of stairs we tried to get comfortable in our noisy room. My son was sitting on the one upholstered chair in the room and I decided to rest on the bed. I pulled back the covers and when I saw the pillowcase with several stains on it I just couldn't stay! We carried our bags back downstairs and Alitha apologized on behalf of housekeeping for the stained pillowcase. In the mean time, she had reached the owners and we didn't have to pay for the 2nd. night.

Yes, the pillow case could have been changed but the Christopher Dodge was not the right place for us. Alitha gave us a recommendation to check out the Renaissance but they wanted 200.00 a night and I was already out 160.00!

My son and I found The Hotel Providence. It is an elegant boutique hotel that was extremely accommodating and cost less than the Christopher Dodge. I highly recommend The Hotel Providence for those visiting the city.

• Stayed July 2009
1 Thank CaliforniaFM
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

For our son's June wedding, we rented the entire Mowry House and most of the Christopher Dodge House- the sister inn to accommodate out of town family and friends. Mr. Parker, the inn keeper was very accommodating with such a large group. We had a Clambake catered on the property, which Mr. Parker assisted us in finding. They allowed a tent to be set up on the lawn since we were the only guests. He personally came to the house to welcome us and help with any odds and ends we needed. Kathy at front desk happily spent a lot of time with our changes and always kept me up to date with details. Alyan served us wonderful, homemade breakfasts each morning. We loved the location as we could walk to the mall and the river area with ease. The price seemed like a bargain for the quality and service we received. All 50 of us who stayed at Mowry and the Christopher Dodge would Highly recommend them!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family