Olneyville New York System Restaurant
Ranked #65 of 807 Restaurants in Providence
Price range: US$2 - US$10
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours
Description: From lunch to late night, Rhode Island's original fast food favorite serving our famous hot wieners and coffee milk since 1946!
Falmouth, Massachusetts
“OMG”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

There is nothing like a NYS hot weiner, nothing like sitting at the counter while you eat them[3 or 4 at least] and nothing like listening to the guys behind the counter banter while watching the weiner man do his magic with a dozen on his arm. Get them to go only if you must because the floor show is free. And, for heavens sake, don't forget the large Coffee Milk. I've been going there for 53 years and counting. I'm salivating!!!!!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank bleue2cv

“Food is good”
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Cooks are friendly, everything I've ever gotten from here has always been really good. Love there breakfast.

“Fun! Fun! Fun experience!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

When we walked into this little dive, the cook behind the counter immediately looked at us as we were trying to figure out the menu and said. "You guys are what we call wiener virgins! Let me help!" He told us how/what was the best to order, gave us a sample of the famous "coffee milk" and generally made our entire visit just a blast! We had a couple of the hot wieners just the way he told us to get them-mustard, meat sauce, onions, and celery salt, the "beef stew" fries that had salt and vinegar, topped with ketchup, and the state drink of coffee milk. All eaten sitting at the counter watching the cook fix more orders. What a friendly, fun place. Worth the visit just for the atmosphere but the hot wieners were really quite yummy!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank weeswap
Houlton, Maine
“Wiener winners”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

It has been 45 years since I had the opportunity to have a classic NY System wiener. Finally did it on a trip down from Maine and was glad I did. Ate four (hey, I had to make up for a lot of years) "all the way" and it was great. Just like I remembered from when I was a teenager. This place is a classic diner; nuthin' fancy, but they served us up fast. The banter going on between the staff and each other and the guests was great. A real friendly place. I won't wait decades again.

• Visited November 2013
Tarrytown, NY
“Experience meets up with the hype”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Sometimes, these places that show up on Travel Channel programs or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives can wind up a little too precious for their own good now that they had a taste of the limelight, such as it is. Others were never that good to begin with. Olneyville New York System has nothing to worry about on that account.
We're talking wieners (had to refrain from typing hot dogs) and, yes, the friendly guy at the grill does put them on his elbow as he loads them up (and do get them loaded up with the chili, celery salt, mustard and onions). For $2.15, quite a deal for these compact gut bombs. The fries were nice and crispy. And do get the coffee milk to wash it all down.
I suppose you could order other greasy spoon items there, but if you're from out of town like I am, the wieners are the way to go for a memorable and genuine experience that has not been altered by its time on TV.

• Visited August 2013