“bland, no surprises”

Cuisines: Southwestern
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We started with the fried pickles, and I thought "OK, we're off to a great start - I'm looking forward to this." Unfortunately that was the highpoint of the meal. I had the grilled shrimp, wrapped in pepper bacon, served over cheese grits. The grits were good (at least they had some flavor). The shrimp was cooked just fine, but it was tasteless. How hard does a kitchen have to try to remove flavor from bacon? They did a great job of it - if it hadn't been for the flavor in the grits, nothing would have had a flavor. My husband had the chicken and waffles, and while the chicken was nice and crispy (and it didn't see particularly greasy), it, too, was flavorless. I think they forgot to put salt and pepper in the flour they used to coat the chicken. The waffles were dry. I will say that the waitstaff was attentive, but that can't make up for food that has no flavor.

1  Thank KLGri
There are newer reviews for Succotash

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was highly recomended this restaurant by some good friends of mine. I was excited to see a place that was jammed packed, always a promising sign. It took a while to get a seat at the bar, but again, I was fine with waiting. The bar tender was swamped, and it took 15 minutes to get my order in. This however was not a problem, because the bar tender let me know that he would be right with me, and apologized for the delay. For how busy he was, he did all the right things.

I placed my order, an omelette, and a side of biscuits and gravy. It took forever for the food to arrive, somewhere between 40 and 50 minutes. The bar tender offered me a free refill on my drink to make up for the delay, but it was a very long time for breakfast items for one person.

Now the food, all the delay can be delayed if the food was good, but it failed on almost every level. The omelet had no seasoning on it, nor did the potatoes that came with it. The crust on the potatoes was great, but it seemed flavorless because of a distinct lack of salt and pepper. And seasoning it after at the table is just not the same as it being incorporated throughout. The biscuits and gravy was another disappointment. You couldn't taste the sausage in the gravy, and the texture was weird. It looked like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for a while.

Do not eat here. Yes big portions, and while things were chaotic, clearly a front of house staff that cares about the customer, and does the right thing, but the food was a monumental let down. The only reason I would go here again is if those friends who recommended this restaurant really want to go there. I would be willing to tag along, but I will not be returning otherwise.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Why did I not read the reviews before we went here? atmosphere and service were fine, even good. The food arrived very late, was cool, and tasteless. Wish i had gone to olga's around the corner. What a disappointment.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Newly renovated space, it's modern and comfortable. We went at lunchtime and had really good wraps and burgers.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Our first visit to Succotash on January 23. We were using a Living Social Coupon that entitled us to share an appetizer, two drinks of our choice(including beer, wine, etc) and two entrees.
Very clean modern design with lots of seating and a very long bar. We went in around 5:30pm on a Thursday night and it was nice and quiet. To start we shared an order of bbq grilled shimp that was good with just enought spices. My dinner entree was a roasted cod over grilled veggies that was really delicious and I'm not a fish eater. My dining partner had the order of pork ribs which she really enjoyed. The food was great, the waitress was fun and we had an enjoyable dining experience. Noticed folks around us eating hamburgers and they looked good. I will give the burgers a try on my next visit. There breakfast menu looks fabulous with lots of different egg and pancake dishes.