“Great experience, professional staff”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Overall a most pleasant experience. We were not able to arrive until one day later due to flight cancellation and the front desk was able to extend our stay for another day. Front desk was extremely accomodating and professional. Nice lobby. Classical music welcomed us to our clean room, vanity bathroom, nice fixtures, original artwork, we could go on... would've preferred to parked in a more secure and discounted parking location.

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank fellow_traveler2

Reviewed 14 October 2007

This is a nice, but very old Hotel. I stayed in a Petite Suite and it was furnished with very dated and worn pieces. The shower was very nice and the room impeccably clean - however nothing to write home about for over $300 a night.

The bar closed at midnight, which is a bummer, and there were some renovations ongoing during my stay.

Overpriced Providence experience.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GeneralManager311, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2007

Thank you for taking the time for your comments regarding your stay in Providence. I have tried to reach out to you via your email address to confirm your hotel stay. The Hotel that you wrote about does not accurately represent The Hotel Providence with its extensive collection of fine antiques and valuable art collection. In addition, The Hotel Providence has been open for just under 3 years and no need for additional renovation. I am curious as if you may have confused our Hotel with another in the area that recently was renovated.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you would like to discuss this further.

Christine Nevers
The Hotel Providence

Reviewed 12 October 2007

I loved The Hotel Providence! It was beautiful and the staff were all very nice and helpful. The location was excellent! I walked to restaurants and shopping and sightseeing. The capitol building is next to the mall and train station, which I was able to incorporate into a nice morning walk. The people are fantastic in Providence and I can't wait to go back. The restaurant connected to the hotel was very nice with excellent food. My entire stay there was perfect and I can't wait to do it again. I found the church bells beautiful and not bothersome at all, though the front desk clerk seemed to be pleasantly surprised by my reaction, which makes me think it's not common. So, be aware that there are church bells next door, but they only chime during the day.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Desi F
Reviewed 12 October 2007

I stayed at this hotel in January 2007 and raved about it; in fact I think you can read my earlier review. This time, however, the hotel seems to have lost some of its' luster.

Check-in was rushed and unfriendly, although I was upgraded to a junior suite. Yes, but, the suite was in a different wing of the hotel and the view from my two teeny tiny windows was of a brick wall. In fact the wall was so close to the windows that the room was always dark. The concierge acted like I was bothering him by asking him a question about the Waterfire event (which, by the way, is not worth a great deal of your time).

The free internet is a big plus to this hotel as is the shower and toiletries. I still have a problem with the sink; it's not comfortable for someone to wash their face over that sink.

The bar was dreary and the price I was charged for my drink didn't match the price on their drink menu. I didn't say a word.

Probably would stay here again but with lower expectations.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank chriswin
Reviewed 8 October 2007

This hotel is very nice, very well decorated, the rooms are excellent (the king bed was great and comfortable). We stayed in a Deluxe King room, and felt it was very roomy and comfortable. The staff were very nice and pleasant, and all in all the experience was nice.

I called a week before our stay and was able to secure a corner room overlooking Westminster and Mathewson streets - very nice except the church next door does ring its bells from time to time and it was pretty loud. Overnight there were no bells, although there was some street noise from cars, etc. Sunday morning the church bells went off around 9:45ish? They went on for about 3 minutes. I can't say it was terrible, but I do think people should know this about the location so as to avoid surprises. Other than the bells, the hotel was very nice. We were there for the Waterfire weekend, so there was a lot of activity in the area. Some of the surrounding streets were a little shady after dark, so keep this in mind. Definitely consider getting a cab back to the hotel if it's late. It is Providence, so no surprises there.

Aside from the bells, the hotel was great. We got room service in the morning - the belgian waffle was really good. The omelet was good, but the homefries were just ok. Also, if you order coffee, make sure to specify cream or milk, and ask for extra as they only give you a little bit. They have valet parking for $24 a night which isn't terrible, although there is street parking overnight for free if you don't mind leaving your car outside. The service was prompt though and very curteous.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bertty50
Reviewed 25 September 2007

The Hotel Providence is a boutique, European style hotel located in the downtown historic district within walking distance of the business district, governement center, Johnson & Wales, and just about everything else that downtown Providence has to offer. The staff is efficient and non-intrusive. The rooms are fairly large and lack the cookie cutter predictability common at many chain hotels. The hotel restaurant is excellent compared to most of the chain hotels in the area, and there are many fine places to eat and drink within a few blocks in any direction Valet parking is a must..

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank HVRoadWarrior
Reviewed 19 September 2007

I've stayed at the Hotel Providence on three occasions in the past four months. I've also stayed at five other downtown hotels in the past two years. The Hotel Providence is my favorite.

It can't compete with the high-floor views offered by the Westin, and the downtown noise can sometimes be problematic on Friday or Saturday nights, but overall this hotel has the nicest rooms in town (though I have yet to try the new Renaissance). Yes, they're slightly
on the small side, and one room I had has no view at all. But it's easy to look past that once you try the comfortable beds and enjoy the good lighting, nice furniture, and great bathrooms.

The umbrella in every closet is a nice added touch and typical of the kind of amenities offered. The staff is friendly and accommodating.

I personally prefer self-parking, but at least this hotel's valet parking is very quick and friendly.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business