“Charming”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and I were in Providence for one night and chose this hotel because it wasn't a chain. Our interactions with the staff were limited, but they were quite friendly. Our room was quite small (New York small), but it was clean, comfortable and well-appointed. The bathroom was also clean and the amenities were top-notch. I love a good thick towel, and these did not disappoint. We were able to get a room on the top floor of the hotel in order to avoid the noise of partying late into the night; however, we were not able to avoid the church bells. They started at 8:00 am on Sunday morning and went off every 30 minutes. While they sound beautiful, if you want to sleep in for any reason, the bells may be a problem for you.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Pamela C.
Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, but concerned that you were disturbed by the sound of the church bells.
When making your next reservation, please let our staff know that you would prefer a room away from the church.
We look forward to your returning to Providence.
Kind regards,
David G. Benton

There are newer reviews for Hotel Providence

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Fabulous, fabulous location (couldn't be better), and the hotel has SO much charm from the lobby to the rooms to the bathrooms. Some things could definitely use a little updating, but it didn't affect our stay at all! The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows and nice linens. The bathrooms were very spacious with huge walk-in showers. There were nice charming touches everywhere in both the lobby and the rooms, and there was artwork of the hotel (in our room at least) in our room, which I thought was cool. Made us feel like we were definitely not staying in the generic chain hotel. The staff...AMAZING. They were SO nice. The valet was awesome. The front desk was awesome. Everyone wanted to help. We had to get our car out at 5 am before the valet would be in, so they pulled it out late the night before, parked it right in front of the hotel, and had the keys waiting for us at the front desk at 5 am. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Megan C.
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a wonderful review on Trip Advisor. We are all delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. I will certainly pass on your gracious comments to the front desk and valet staff.
We look forward to your returning to visit with us again.
KInd regards,
David G. Benton

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is definitely a boutique hotel. Its not your traditional cookie cutter hotel that you find so often. Nice bed. Nice size bathroom. Valet parking is a nice option at a cost. Overall the room is a little small. Very friendly staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Many folks have never heard of this hotel...it's really a boutique gem. Beautiful and clean rooms..large baths. Lobby nothing special..doormen very attentive....fast valet in and out. Front desk...pleasant...upon calling they had trouble getting me directions....not good. Upon check in, realized though a courtyard view, the room was directly over output vent for restaurant so we moved to the back of hotel..frong desk did this very quickly and with no attitude...no view but also no smell. Church bells are beautiful but loud. Beware.
FABULOUS location....right on corner of Wesminster..great shops, coffee stops and restaurants galore on neighboring streets. We will be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

The room was large, king bed, nice bathroom, very nicely done. There is a church close by that has chimes ringing at certain times. I am not a light sleeper, so I don't know if they rang at night.
I liked them, but if you think it might bother you, you might want to consider another location.
Pet friendly, I know because of the whining that a small dog was doing in the room down the hall. Also, the dog biscuits in the lobby was a give away.
Before I arrived, I wanted to change my credit card to my husband's AX card, because I had misplaced mine. We get travel points and I didn't want to miss out on the points! I explained the situation, gave my husband's CC #, and I got the real run around from the night clerk, so I said that I wanted the issue elevated to a supervisor. The desk guy hung up on me. I arrived the next day and was told that it was all taken care of, no problem. But it left a bad memory.

Room Tip: I had room 307, no view but a good location away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Attending a conference in Providence at the convention center, I just didn't want to stay in one of the big chain convention center hotels. Even though I wasn't picking up the tab, they were expensive and I'd be trapped in hallways and never get outside the confines of the conference. I picked Hotel Providence with some apprehension--was it too far to walk to the convention center, was it a dump at that considerably lower price? Turns out, it's less than a block from the convention center, on a charming brick one-lane street with restaurants and taverns all around, and it is a complete gem of a hotel. And the accommodations were luxurious, the room was gorgeous, the bed was five-diamond, the service was flawless. I stayed three nights, and the staff took care of me like I was the only person staying in the hotel. Even the room service food was perfect. I generally regard hotels as a place to get some sleep between one day and the next. At Hotel Providence, the stayover is the point.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank ArkansasTraveller13
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I'm glad I was able to stay the The Hotel Providence on two separate occasions within a week of the other because I was able to see how nice a place it can be. The place as a very lovely low key luxury feel about it. The rooms are spiffy and well organized-no doors bumping into desks. The restaurant is great and very pretty. The breakfast was huge for a hotel breakfast--a really good value. It is walking distance to some great restaurants, both fancy and casual. Everyone was happy to help and wanted to make sure I had what I needed. So here's the one caution--the suites on the second floor. They are enormous and renovated and right next to the hotels outdoor party space. On my first stay I was switched into one of these rooms (214 I think, Louisa May Alcott suite) and I could literally read the labels on the beer bottles of the party goers just outside the bedroom window. I asked to be moved and was told abruptly that the hotel was sold out. The woman knew she had been rude because she called back and offered me free breakfast at the restaurant and assured me the party would be over by 9pm. It wasn't and the clean up lasted until 11pm. Had there not been a party outside my window it would have been such a great stay--gorgeous room, good food, luxe bath. But the shindig was so close, I mean close. I do think it is incumbent upon the hotel to warn someone staying in those suites if there is going to be some sort of event during their stay. I slept on the couch until the noise finally died down.

Room Tip: Away from any of the common areas where events or convention meetings occur. Also ask to be away fro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business