“Historical Gem” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Historical Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a great choice! I was in town attending the Johnson and Wales Alumni reunion it was listed as one of the hotels for alumni to stay at. When I go to Providence I try to stay at a different hotel each time. The location was perfect. It is in walking distance to Johnson & Wales University, the Dunkin Donuts Center and the Providence Place mall.

The staff was very friendly and quickly checked me in to my room upon arrival. The only drawback to this hotel is the $28 valet parking fee. There is no self parking and street parking in this area is few and far between.

The rooms were clean and modern. I particularly liked the comfy king sized bed. If you are looking for a quiet environment in your room, make sure to ask for a room that doesn't face the street. It's gets kind of loud in the evenings when everyone is heading out to the clubs.

A great bonus of this hotel is that they offer free wifi and are pet friendly.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Sheniseleigh
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very much appreciated. All of us are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us. Looking forward to seeing you upon your next trip to Providence.
David G. Benton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The hotel was fine, clean, friendly, but seemed understaffed. Because I do not trust the housekeeping staff, this hotel has lost the business of myself and my family for the next four years, as my newphew attends Brown U. After an overnight campus visit, I checked out leaving my Kindle Fire X 7 in the room. As soon as I realized it, I called the hotel and was given the run-around for two days. They claimed not to have it, giving me the brush off, telling me to turn it in to my homeowners insurance. It's a very small hotel, and someone who works there has my Kindle. No apology was made, no further assistance was offered. If you are planning on staying in this hotel, be sure to lock down your valuables and do a second and third sweep of the room to be sure you didn't leave anything...you won't be getting it back1

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank JStJohns
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear Ms. St.John,
We are all very concerned and sorry that your Kindle is missing, and understand the inconvenience this causes you. Unfortunately, after conducting a thorough investigation, we still could not locate the item. Fortunately, our housekeeping staff has an excellent record of handing in items forgotten by guests to our Lost and Found department, including those of significant value. If the item is anywhere in the hotel, I am sure it will be handed in promptly. Management will continue to focus on retrieving your missing item.
Yours sincerely,
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business. I arrived well before check in time but the very helpful front desk staff made sure I got a room.

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the railway station.

The room was large, clean and comfortable.

The staff in the restaurant were very polite and efficient.

I would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Chris,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review on Trip Advisor. We are pleased you had a positive experience and look forward to your return. I have passed on your gracious comments to the staff.
Bellevue, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I stayed here recently on a business trip. The hotel's boutique ambiance was nice, and my room was comfortable and clean. The location is nice, about a ten minute walk to the Amtrak station, 15 minutes to Brown University, and only blocks away from great dinner spots (Gracie's) or breakfast/lunch spots (Ellie's Bakery). There was free wi-fi (yey!), but the reception in my room was so terrible that it rendered the wi-fi essentially unusable unless I was in the lobby (boo!). I requested a wake-up call and didn't receive it (ack!). I was also unpleasantly surprised to return from an afternoon out to find that the staff had removed my "privacy please" sign from the door and proceeded to clean my room. Catching taxis from here isn't super easy, since it's a smaller hotel they are not generally waiting, and need to be called in advance, sometimes requiring a bit of a wait.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
We are pleased that your overall visit was pleasant, but apologize for the lapses in service during your most recent stay with us. I have alerted the appropriate department heads to your concerns regarding the wi-fi and wake up call. Hopefully, you will give us another chance to experience a perfect stay on your next trip to Providence.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great hotel. I loved the location. Staff is very good and ready to serve. I ate 4 times in the restaurant.... Perfect... Have the French toast for breakfast... Great music in the bar. The location is great as well. Restaurants, bars, church you name it.....

Room Tip: No pool and no spa.. Just an FYI..I stayed on the 7th floor. Great view... Stop by the bar for a dri...
1 Thank John L
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
We are so pleased you had an enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for letting us know. We recently introduced our new breakfast and Brunch menu, and that French toast you mention in your review, has become our guest's most popular item, filled with rasberries and sweet cream cheese, topped with pecan crumbles, powdered sugar and warm maple syrup. We look forward to your return, whenever your travels bring ytou back to Providence.
Andover, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We spent one night here last weekend. The hotel is conveniently located and well-decorated, the staff friendly. Our room was at the back, so there was no street noise. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom modern and spotless. breakfast next morning was excellent and well-priced, So, no complaints whatsoever!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
So delighted you had a wonderful experience on your most recent visit to Providence. Thank you for your kind review; I have passed on your gracious compliments to the staff. We are looking forward to your next visit to Providence.
KInd regards,
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I could not have been happier with this hotel. The Hotel Manager was as delightful and helpful as any person I have ever met. The room looked out upon a Victorian Church. The bed was extremely comfortable and the room itself was clean and well cared for. The hallways were immaculate and appointed with beautiful paintings. I enjoyed the lovely bar at night and Bob, the wonderful bartender. Wine was delicious and not overpriced. The Theater District is a block away as is RISD, The Pepsi Center and some excellent dining spots.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Grace Church and listen to the bells sound.
1 Thank egbrandwein
David B, General Manager at Hotel Providence, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear Mr. Brandwein,
Your gracious review on Trip Advisor is very much appreciated. We are pleased you enjoyed the sounding of the church bells, and liked the hotel's location, which as you point out, is close to all of the main downtown attractions. Being a neighbor of the Providence Performing Arts Center, the Providence Convention Center and the Universities and Colleges, makes this hotel an ideal location.
We wish you safe travels and a return to Providence.