“Great Hotel with Very Friendly People”
Review of Hotel Providence

Hotel Providence
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 12 November 2009

This is my second visit to this charming boutique hotel in downtown Providence, and it was even better than I rememebered. The hotel itself is very unique. There is nothing cookie cutter about it. The lobby is decorated with original artwork and antqiues. The person at the front desk gave me a pamphlet that had information about the artwork and the artists. Very interesting. My room was very clean and the bed extremely comfortable. Every one who works there says hello to you and is very friendly. Karen the bartender in the lounge is the best, she rememebered my name and what I drank! It is a great location, lots of shopping within walking distance. Very close to the Performing Arts Center. When I get back to Providence, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 November 2009

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights (September 30 – October 3, 2009). At first glance, the hotel is nice, clean and hospitable. HOWEVER: Our room faced the hotel's air-conditioning system, which meant a constant "hum". We asked for a different room, but it was even worst.
In addition to that, you've got your nearby Church bells, ringing every 15 minutes, from 9AM to 9PM.
And now - for the BIG "finale". It seems that every Friday night there's a party at the hotel's restaurant. In our case – a wedding, I believe. The speaker system started "booming" at the early evening hours. We waited patiently until 10:30PM, and called the front desk to enquire. They said the music will stop at around 11:30PM. We were very tired from a long day, but what can you do… at 11:45PM, when the noise didn't stop, we called again. The guy at the front desk said "I don't know who told you that the music is going to stop. It's going to continue until, at least, 2:00AM (!!)", which – it did.

So – bottom line: Rooms are nice, location is nice, but if you plan on getting some rest after a long day of traveling – don't count on it.

1  Thank RanMe
Reviewed 24 October 2009

This hotel's website does not even come close to doing it justice. I hadn't been to downtown Providence in a few years and was pleasantly surprised when we turned onto Westminster St and saw all the white lights lining the street to the hotel. We were definitely happy when we walked into the hotel and saw a very elegant, charming lobby. We had a King room with a cot and had plenty of room. The bed was very very comfortable and had nice soft sheets with a thin down comforter which is a huge plus in my book. Towels were so-so, not as soft as I like but the bathroom was a nice size and well appointed. We had a nice little chair/sitting area by the window to enjoy the view of the courtyard below and church across the street and enjoyed the church bells when we woke up in the morning. We had dinner in the restaurant in the hotel, Aspire, and were happy with all dishes and enjoyed the live jazz. Aspire is definitely a trendy night spot. The hotel/restaurant has a wonderful little courtyard that would have been a great spot with warmer weather. All in all we were very happy with our stay at this little boutique hotel and would definitely return for another visit.

Reviewed 23 October 2009

MY wife and I came to see waterfire for a weekend.
Nice hotel, downtown location. The area is typical downtown, you can tell that it used to be run down and now it is on its way up... very close to everything.
One thing I think you should now - there is a church right across the street and the church bells are right in your room so if you want to sleep in on Sunday - forget about it!
Otherwise - nice clean hotel with decent prices.
Oh, prepare extra $25 for parking.

1  Thank genat
Reviewed 22 October 2009

Let me say first that I loved the size of this hotel---the European feel---the central location. Many of the bellhops/valets, etc. were great in offering help w/restaurants, cabs, etc. Hemenway's restaurant is not far --- absolute best oysters, seafood. The real negative was the fact that we had no heat for two nights out of four that we stayed here. It was chilly to say the least. The front desk told us that the engineer would not be available until the morning. I noticed another man irate at the front desk clerk one night and he loudly said, "you've ruined my whole night". We know for a fact that other guests also were without heat. Upon leaving, we asked for some adjustment on our bill for this---we are not complainers in the least. Nothing was done---no supervisor to speak with---really disheartening.

1  Thank Proseco
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We paid in full, a month in advance, for a non-smoking room - had an email confirmation and the charge on my credit card. Upon check in I was informed that there were no non-smoking rooms available and had to stay on the smoking floor, in a smoking room. Disgusting. Only memory of that place is the stench. All night long.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank explore_rplanet
Reviewed 14 October 2009

The Hotel is in a great location with walking distance to just about everything. The Hotel is easy to get to from the interstate and has valet when you arrive. We were greeted upon arrival and overheard another couple mention that they had called for a taxi but the receptionist had dropped the ball on calling one. Which by the way, a taxi in Providence is impossible to get unless you are calling from a hotel. You can not pick up taxi's n the street! The room was small and really hard to walk around with bags. We had counted 6 light bulbs out in the room. The room was O.K., but not great by any means. The hotel used to be a dorm for J&W in Providence, which makes sense when you stay there. It could be great, but needs a lot of work.