“Chic in Providence”
Review of The Dean Hotel

The Dean Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Upon arrival I was greeted by a most friendly valet and receptionist. Passing through the lobby enroute to my room I was tempted to linger over a cafe au lait and browse through a plethora of magazines.
Following the most restful sleep on what must have been a custom bed fitted with amazing linens I enjoyed a hot shower in a hip, european style shower.
My only regret is that I had to leave that morning.

Room Tip: I have stayed in several of the rooms and enjoyed each one. All are unique.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank lindaheckman
TheDeanHotel, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

We are so glad that you've been enjoying our different room types during each of your visits to The Dean! It's always a pleasure seeing guests return over and over again and stay in a different room each time! Hoping to see you again soon!

At your service,

There are newer reviews for The Dean Hotel

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I was looking forward to my stay at The Dean after driving by it on one of my prior trips and reading about it's concept and design. I have to say I was not disappointed. Everything was well done and attended to from the appointed collection of furnishings to the super comfortable bedding to the staff. Definitely has a cool hip feel all for a reasonable price. The room was smaller than the typical commercial hotel room. But this is easily dismissed. The only soft spot is while the open shower concept is modern and chic, it does get a little messy on the floor. I'll be coming back.

Micah

Room Tip: Stay with the larger options. I can only image the bunk beds are a squeeze...lol
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Micah Y

Thank you for the great feedback on your recent stay at The Dean! We appreciate hearing from all of our guests, and look forward to your return upon the next visit to Providence!

We've been addressing the water drainage in all showers, and should have fixed in all guest rooms very soon!

At your service,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We visited the Dean in the middle of a snowstorm and felt at home bundled up in the cozy clean rooms. While the onsite eateries and bars weren't open yet we found plenty of great food and drinks close by because of the hotel's easy downtown location.

The hotel design is unique and individual vintage pieces in each room make you realize how much thought went into each and every detail in the hotel. The mini bar is awesome too with Boxed water and Coolhaus treats.

I can't wait to go back and check out the restaurants on site.

Only complaint is how the water from the showers flows all over the bathroom!

Room Tip: Room 310 is an awesome layout, as would 210,410 I'm guessing
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gdwhitehead
TheDeanHotel, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for the feedback! We really appreciate it!

The Dean is thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us recently in Room #310. Some have been calling this room type the "peek-a-boo" room, as it truly is a uniquely designed shower! We are glad that you noticed the attention to detail in the design and furnishings of your guest room and throughout the hotel!

Regarding the excess water in the showers, we appreciate your patience while we correct this issue in some of the guest rooms. As each room is designed a bit differently, we are addressing this situation room-by-room.

We have also just celebrated our grand opening, and are happy to announce that all spaces within The Dean are now open! Therefore, we hope you return to visit us soon!

All the best,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Our trip happened to allow us to head to Fenway for a Saturday night game. I have long held hopes that I could have a New England weekend with the right mix of grit, gloss and art. The Dean didn't disappoint. The valet, the desk staff, the barista were all skilled, affable, and anticipatory. Desk staff suggested we buy a pretty toothbrush when, upon check in, we realized we needed one. The valet had our car ready in minutes. The barista's cortados (we had six between us in two days) were perfect.

The room itself (The Patron) was austere, quiet, restful. The linens? Heavenly.

I'm already planning a trip back in my mind.

Room Tip: Our second floor room was austere, quiet and ideal for our get-away weekend.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 012345km

Thank you so much for the great feedback! We are so glad to hear that The Dean was a perfect fit for the both of you during a getaway weekend in New England! Providence is a beautiful gem between New York and Boston, and we can't wait for your return!

Each guest room in The Dean is slightly different, so we encourage you to let us know the room that you've previously stayed in, so we can put you in a different one during your next trip!

All the best,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The person that previously made a statement about the sudden rate increase after already thinking they were paying a certain price. So true!!! I went in yesterday, the place looks amazing, spoke with the gentleman at desk he quoted me prices and was working on a reservation for me. i hadn't heard back from him so today I called(24 hrs later)and am told the rates are higher. Logan proceeds to tell me this is common hotel practice. Not that I am aware of...your rates are posted on your website and it doesn't mention if we are at a certain percentage of occupancy we can charge you higher rates?? Where is this common practice? Rates go lower not higher dependent on occupancy. Anyway, I would be a little worried at checkout you may pay more or get caught for theft of services.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank lisamkfaces

Our sincere apologies for any confusion and miscommunication regarding our rates for rooms. Rates changed based on occupancy at The Dean. This is common practice for mostly all hotels. As the number of reservations increases (occupancy increases), the rates for guest rooms will often increase as well. Due to the fact that we are a very small boutique hotel, having 52 guest rooms, the rate tends to change quite quickly.

We should have offered you the rate that was originally quoted for you, as it seems our front desk team should have made a reservation for you at the time of your call. We hope that you do visit us again upon your return to Providence, and would like to provide you a special rate for your next visit to The Dean. Please feel free to ask for Brendan directly when calling for reservations, as he looks forward to working with you.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Honestly, it's beautiful. It's just what providence needed, and reflects the city as it is now. Staying with my husband for a night out, (we live in the city) we were so excited to stay here. Super affordable for the level of design and attention to detail. Yes, some of the rooms are small and are missing features one comes to expect in a hotel, but for the price, it was a steal. There is no phone in the room, but I can't remember the last time I used a hotel phone. There aren't dressers, but for a night or two I don't unpack.

The beds were amazingly comfortable, and the linens were from Fall River! All bed frames were made by a local steel worker. A local coffee business with great specialty coffee in the lobby.

A very mid century modern look, whoever designed it did a great job. Pommel horse benches in the lobby?! Opening in April, will be a German beer hall, and karaoke bar! Can't wait to come back.

I'm a little surprised at the bad review of this place. I didn't understand it after I stayed here.

Anyway, cheers!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel M

Thank you for the great feedback! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at The Dean. It's always nice to see local Rhode Islanders stay with us. It definitely seems that you understand our thoughts in design and practicality in functional use of each space within the hotel!

ASH NYC was the design firm for The Dean, and KITE Architects was our architectural firm. They did a beautiful job together, and we are happy to announce that our grand opening was last week. Therefore, we encourage you to return soon and enjoy all of the spaces within The Dean!

Reviewed 10 March 2014

stayed here recently for one night in one of the king suites. despite the negatives below, overall we enjoyed our stay, would return, and would recommend to friends.

the good:
unique and hip style/decor. perfect location - short walk to great restaurants, bars, nightlife. great coffee and pastries at the hotel's coffee shop. very friendly and helpful staff. very comfortable bed (i don't think i've ever had a comment, good or bad, on a hotel bed .. this was something else). lots of natural light in the room. enjoyed the rain shower. (karaoke and lounge seem interesting but were not completed yet).

the bad:
room decor is too minimal. for a one night stay, it's perfectly fine, but if i had to be there for longer, it really wouldn't do. there are no dressers or closets. (there were a couple of hooks on the wall with hangers, so for a night, it was just fine.) no full length mirror. no trash can other than in bathroom. no coffee table at the seating area. bare walls except for one scary painting - frankly the place needs some pops of color. as others mentioned, no door or curtain to the shower, so bathroom floor gets quite wet. tiny desk. minimal space in bathroom for toiletries. no phone, no clock, no radio, no tissue box -- things you can totally do without for a short stay but came to expect from a hotel room. we were awoken in the morning by the sounds of someone going through the glass recycling bin outside (otherwise no noise issues)

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mk761

Thank you very much for your honest feedback on staying at The Dean in March. We completely agree with many of your thoughts and comments. Our mindset is that guests staying with us, are ultimately staying for one or two nights. The rooms have a minimalistic design to them which works well for short-term stays as you have mentioned, but maybe not for the extended stay traveler. We are also addressing excess water in our guest bathrooms, as I know that was a concern for some of our first guests.

We are happy to announce that we have just celebrated our grand opening, and all spaces within The Dean are now open! In addition, most of the bathroom issues have been corrected. We know that you mentioned that you will be returning to The Dean during your next visit to Providence, and look forward to welcoming you back!