“All Good, But What's Up with Those Showers?”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dean Hotel

The Dean Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Providence
Arlington, Virginia
“All Good, But What's Up with Those Showers?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The Dean is so fun, from the moment you turn to its small, but glitzy entrance, to the bubbly staff at the tiny front desk, to the coffee bar and lounge just beyond, and the "alligator" gate in the old-school elevator (I fought that thing for the first three days of my stay before I saw a housekeeper shove it so hard it stayed open. After that I was fine.)
There is interesting art everywhere. Then you arrive in your room, which for me was a double queen one night, then I switched to join some friends for the rest of the week in a double bunk bed room. That was a scene. I felt like an old Kuala bear climbing up and down the ladder to my bunk. Somehow, four women did work around each other in this space that was much smaller than the double queen.
But what was truly funky was the no door, no curtain shower that was so small I found it best to stand outside the shower and just "dip" half of me into the spray when I needed water. The shower head is huge, and because there is a large ventilation tube that is tiled over but runs right through the tiny shower, that head is pushed perilously close to the edge of the shower right near the opening. So of course the bathroom flooded whenever anyone took a shower. It was especially terrible if someone had to wash their hair.
But the lounge next to the coffee bar was charming, and was a great place to take a book and read. The barrister there recommended a nearby bakery that was outstanding for breakfast, Ellie's.
The hotel staff is extraordinary. For instance, I had two heavy boxes of literature I needed to get to our booth at the Convention Center, a block away, so two staffers grabbed them (including the front desk person) and carried them to an escalator inside the Center for me. I didn't propose that solution -- they did. The hotel's manager, Mary, is wonderful, and such an interesting person to talk to I recommend you take some time to do this.
The Dean is a great hotel. The beds are the best I've ever slept in, and the down comforters are perfect.

Room Tip: Find out how big the room is before you book it -- there is a wide variety.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank LauraFairEcon
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you very much for your incredibly thoughtful and thorough response. I'm sorry you experienced such a difficult spritzing with our shower setup. It's certainly something we are working to fine-tune as we've noted consistent comments on customers experiences.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

The Dean was a very memorable and extremely pleasant experience. Designed with implacable taste, with hardware and furniture designed by local artisans, The Dean has a very comfortable and cozy feel to balance it's sleek, minimalism and rustic industrial style. We have stayed in many of the top hotels in NYC (Standard, Wythe, King & Grove, Gramercy) and I'd say without a doubt that The Dean Hotel ranks as good (if not better) than all of these. It lacks the pretension, busyness, and inflated prices of the big city hotels, and it's sense of design was a lot more intimate and cared for. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, and the amenities, the adjoining restaurant (Faust), and coffee bar (Bolt Coffee) made this hotel one of the best that we have stayed at (hands down). The only criticism that we could think of came from my wife, who wished that the rooms had a hair dryer a few more toiletries (very easy to fix). I had a GREAT experience here and I wish this little boutique the very best.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank willbike03
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for the incredibly kind words and thorough review. Its wonderful to hear that all of our hard work is being appreciated! We definitely look forward to seeing you again soon and hearing your thoughts on the various improvements to follow!

P.S. - There is actually a hairdryer in a storage bin underneath your bed, along with an iron, ironing board, and directions for Laundry Services. Apologies that this wasn't brought to your attention sooner!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

The Dean is 100% on point! I was put up here for work and could not have been happier. The entire staff was beyond helpful. A huge shout out to Mary at the front desk :-) She was truly amazing from the moment I arrived until the unfortunate time I had to depart. The rooms are spacious, the beds are extremely comfortable, and the in room styling is sexy. All in all, The Dean is THE place to stay in Providence. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Joe W
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thanks very much for the kind words! It's always nice to make a new friend. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Providence!

Cheers!
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I can't image a better location for walking around Providence- almost exactly between College and Fed Hills. It's a very cool hotel, but I do agree with some reviewers who believe there is a little style over function going on. Shower heads could have been placed further in to avoid much of the water issues.

Bed was too soft for my liking, too. That said, it's a nice hotel for the price, and has a lot of extras we enjoyed. Did not miss the absence of a phone or closets. Light fixtures were very attractive and we loved the tiny old elevator.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michele S
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thanks very much for the review travelbug! I'm sorry the quality of the sleep wasn't to your liking but glad that the experience wasn't ruined because of it. We appreciate the feedback on some of the design aspects too. It's been a wonderful labor of love rehabbing such an old building.

Vero Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Love this hotel!!! Logan, from the front desk was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were clean and very minimalist styled but very comfy. No closet but who needs it? There's hangers and hooks for clothes. The bed and pillows were so comfy. Walking distance to the great restaurants, small shops and the big mall. The Faust, german-restaurant, get their fries with curry ketchup! To die for!! Must go to the Birch too...highly recommended, very pricey but worth it! Ok why did I gave it only 4 stars??? Our first night, Logan upgraded us to the King Suite at the 5th floor. Very very nice! We told them we read their article from the Architectural Digest and would love to stay there for a night. But I fell in love with the room (even though they have a bathroom issues but didnt bother me, a good reason to have clean towels everyday) so I told my boyfriend that I won't go anywhere else. So we went downstairs and tried to get another night at the same room. Logan wasn't there :( so the other guy gave us room# 307. Big mistake!!! Don't get me wrong, i love the room which got a queen size bed, the shower is much better and bigger...BUT...the noise!!!! I couldn't sleep. My boyfriend tried to turn on the TV so it won't bother me much, but it didnt work. Short story is I watched George Bush Family Album twice on Fox News because I can't sleep!!! I highly recommend this chic hotel, really, just avoid room #307, or bring an ear plug, or hope Logan is in the front desk to help you.

Room Tip: Avoid room# #307. 5th floor is the best!
Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marieagustin
Aarin C, Director of Sales at The Dean Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Marie,

Thanks for the review and the kind words! I'm glad that you enjoyed the first leg of your stay and sorry that we couldn't keep you in the same room when you opted to extend! I'm not quite sure where the noise came from which kept you up but I'm more than happy to make sure you don't get put in that room again as it left a sour taste.

I'm glad you enjoyed Logan's service and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had heard great things from my friends who had stayed there- they were all very right! We live in NYC but travel to RI often to visit my parents. Not only are they Pet friendly, but the rooms are simple and chic, bed is so comfy and the hotel offers a wide variety of watering holes and hang outs.. After a day at the beach we didn't even leave the hotel at night... there was no need... the boom box was such a fun atmosphere! Really reminiscent to Korea town karaoke. I will never stay anywhere else in PVD and I cannot wait to rebook for our next trip! my only regret is I didn't get a chance to eat at Faust- next time! Probably in a few weeks!

Room Tip: The Queen room is perfect for a couple and our puppy... but next time I will spend more and get a b...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thanks so much for your kind words! Our little hotel is the product of big ideas and a collaboration between ASH NYC & The Steel Yard here in Providence! So you are right on with your review title! I'm really glad you enjoyed the space and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Feel free to reach out to me directly should you need any further recommendations or choose to voice any further questions or comments!

Aarin@TheDeanHotel.com
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Hi everyone!

I just got back from spending the weekend in Providence, Rhode Island. I was so impressed with my lodging that I had to write about my experience as soon as I could.

I read about The Dean Hotel in various periodicals and made a conscious effort to make my way to Providence.

The decor of the hotel is absolutely stunning. It's whimsical and fun. The rooms are effortlessly chic and well done.

I personally am a huge fan of rain showers and the European set up is great as well.

During my very short stay, I was able to experience Faust, the restaurant attached to the hotel. I sampled several small dishes and was happy with each of my selections. My favorite was the asparagus salad. An absolute must!

The next morning, I grabbed myself a mocha from Bolt Coffee Co. and sat underneath the neon sign to catch up on my e-mails and gather my thoughts. The coffee bar was superb and the attention to detail was excellent.

My overall opinion of this hotel is quite high and I recommend everyone to stay at this hotel if you're in the Providence area.

My tip is simple: Go to the hotel and take it all in. Relax! You won't regret your decision.

I will more than likely head back to the hotel before the summer ends.

Room Tip: You must eat at Faust. Make the time to check out this restaurant.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jetsettingnomad
Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and kind words! We've been working hard to give this city something it can really call its own and its wonderful to hear that its been well received.

Feel free to contact me directly should you have any further questions about the design, or simply want to voice any other questions or comments.

We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Aarin@TheDeanHotel.com