“Great Hotel but Absurd Parking and Wifi Charges”

Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance for 4 nights. The staff - from the valet, concierge and check in reps were very friendly. Room was very clean and spacious. There is a mall behind the hotel which was very convenient for shopping. Felt safe walking in the area. Little Italy was around 5 minutes drive and easy access to major freeways. Not happy about the $28 per day valet parking and having to pay for wifi when other hotels give it for free. Would love to return but may look somewhere else if ridiculous fees for parking and wifi will stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank-you for your fabulous comments about our staff , particularly valet, concierge and reception team. Our team is very passionate about ensuring that we exceed your expectations and it is wonderful that we accomplished this during your stay. We are centrally located to a number of the sites, restaurants and amenities that make Providence such a wonderful place to visit. As a full service hotel located in downtown Providence I am sure you will find that both our parking and our internet fees are comparable with the full service hotels in the city. We do offer valet parking only, however, all of our parking is located in a secure, covered area with 24 hour in and out service which the valet team is happy to accommodate. We look forward to being of service in the near future.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a top class hotel. The front desk folks were quite helpful and friendly. The rooms are large and quite modern. The bathroom was top of the line. We were very comfortable and wished we had time to stay longer.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank-you for your fabulous comments that you consider us a top class hotel. It is truly appreciated and wonderful that we exceeded your expectations. It will be my pleasure to pass your positive comments about our front desk team and our room product on to our staff. They are very passionate about ensuring that each and every stay exceeds your expectations. We look forward to being of service in the near future when you have time to discover more about what makes our hotel and our city such a special place.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

"I have been on two separate tours of this hotel with a large group of college students. I was very impressed with the whole entire outlook of the hotel both times. I was able to meet a lot of the executive staff members, who were also very pleasant. I got a look at one of the rooms, which has an overall view of the State House. I even had an opportunity to look at the Presidential Suite, which made me feel impressed when I saw it. My overall impression after these tours was that I feel that the staff members take great pride at keeping this hotel in the best possible condition. The tour guide also offered us a chance to see one of the representatives for a job opportunity if we were interested."

Room Tip: I would say that any room away from the pool area would be quieter. It is also a benefit if you ha...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank-you for your observations, it is always wonderful when we can open our doors to students such as yourself and share our hotel with them. Based on your feedback it was very beneficial for you. We wish you well in your future endeavors in the hotel industry and please contact us if we can be of assistance in any capacity in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

My first trip to Providence. I really liked the hotel, room was solid (e.g., clean, decent size, hot shower, fridge in room). Great location! Right next door to a large mall and plenty of good food options. Valet parking was efficient and getting in and out of the city was easy. Friendly staff. I will be back!

Only feedback is the restaurant that is attached to the hotel (basement level),.. and I don't think is officially a part of Marriott wasn't good. I only had one meal there and after one bite decided it was worth consuming. I had lunch. Not sure how breakfast is,.. but there are better options for lunch outside this restaurant and near the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Just a quick note to thank-you for discovering our hotel and your fabulous comments. We are centrally located in the historic Capitol District within walking distance to a number of the sites, universities and amenities that the city has to offer. We do look forward to your next visit.
I will be happy to pass on your feedback to the restaurant operator, although it is not officially operated by the hotel, it is a wonderful restaurant and I will pass your comments on so they can ensure that your next visit exceeds your expectations in the same manner that your hotel stay did.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel is located directly across from the capitol building in what was a former masonic temple. Everyone we dealt with behind the desk was extremely friendly and eager to help. The room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was also clean and the maids did a great job keeping it that way. The hotel was quiet and we never heard much noise with people coming and going from their rooms.

The only minor nuisance was the shower. There were bursts of scalding hot water. Luckily you could feel it getting warmer in time to move out of the way.

The price was decent but for the amount of money, wifi should be included. The valet is also a little pricey at $28 a day but you are allowed to come and go as often as you like.

Overall this is a great hotel in a good location.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ren-Providence-Team, General Manager at Renaissance Providence Downtown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank-you for discovering our hotel and your wonderful feedback about our location, our staff and our services. We pride ourselves on ensuring each and every time you stay with us that we exceed your expectations. We appreciate your comment that you felt we are a great hotel with a good location and I will ensure we pass this on to our staff. I will also pass on your comment about your shower experience so we ensure we address any challenge with this. We look forward to your next visit with us to help you discover more about what makes our hotel and our city such a unique destination.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

James and I have stayed in this hotel before. We had a good experience then so we expected the same this time. I booked through my Marriot rewards profile hoping to facilitate my stay. However, when I got there the employee behind the check in desk noted that I had made the wrong reservations, on the wrong day and that the Marriot rewards number wasn't there. She hurried me along into a room before I could pull up the email showing my reservation information. So we went to the room, however; the hallway reek of either really strong cigarette smoke or weed. The room was sadly the same. It was very offensive and abrasive to my eyes and throat. I went down to the reception desk and luckily spoke with someone else. The employee I spoke to was very good. He offered to change the room. I appreciated that courtesy. When I explained the trouble with my checkin he offered to recheck the information. He told me that my reservation was there and it was accurate. He also confirmed my Marriott rewards number. I felt better after that interaction about the reservation and the stay.
I will say the room was clean. However, the pillows were so uncomfortable. They are twin sized pillows on a king sized bed. And had no padding or support. I would consider an upgrade to their pillows and the bedding.
As long as the room does not had an odor I would recommend staying here for the most part.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank-you for your comments and feedback on your stay. I would like to apologize for the initial confusion with your check-in but I am happy to hear that we were able to respond to your concerns and our staff reacted to this challenge. Our staff are very passionate about your satisfaction and I am happy to hear that we could respond to your concerns. We are a non smoking hotel and monitor this daily with our guests to ensure compliance so I can assure you that this is not on ongoing occurrence at our hotel. You will also be happy to hear that Renaissance will be rolling out a new spec pillow and we will be conducting a refresh and renovation of our rooms later this year which will include a complete upgrade of our bedding package. Thank-you for your loyalty to Renaissance and Marriott and we look forward to your next stay with us. Please contact me personally prior to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel while there for a college visit with my daughter. Outstanding location for this type of visit-very close to Brown University but also close to the mall, restaurants and an outstanding location for history lovers: right across the street from the State Capitol. Just beautiful!

Rooms were pretty, well appointed. Bathroom luxurious and we loved the pass-through closet: accessible from the bedroom or the bathroom.

Restaurant was very good...we ate breakfast and it was good and plentiful food for the money.

The only thing that was negative was that I could not find the lot/deck to self park and ended up paying $28 per day for valet parking plus tips.

Everyone was very friendly and it was really a great hotel: location, décor, service... all really great! I would for sure stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the capital: front side of the hotel. It will be so pretty!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LMF1965

Thank-you for your wonderful comments about our location in the historic Capitol District as well as your comments about our well appointed rooms and amenities. It is fabulous that you discovered our hotel and we truly appreciate your comments that you will stay with us again when you return to Providence. Our staff is passionate about exceeding your expectations and we look forward to your next stay with us.