“It's about the food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of AS220

AS220
Ranked #49 of 111 things to do in Providence
More attraction details
Owner description: The Empire Street complex is one of three buildings owned and operated by AS220. The Empire Street complex houses The Bar at AS220, AS220 Foo(d), AS220's Performance Space, AS220 Youth (serving young people 14-20), the Paul Krot B&W Community Darkrooms, 3 of 4 Visual Art Exhibition Spaces, 15 live/work and work studios for artists, and the 95 Empire black box theater, dance studio and classroom spaces. Empire Street is also home to commercial tenants: Roberto's Barber Shop and Muldowney's Pub. AS220's other locations are the Dreyfus, 95 Mathewson St, where you can find the Project Space Gallery, and the Mercantile Block, 131 Washington St, which houses, among other things, AS220 Photo, AS220 Labs, and its publicly accessible Printshop.
Coronado, California
92 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“It's about the food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

The best chickpeas ever! Who knew chickpeas could taste so good or be so addictive. Lots of flavor. Kale salad so yummy. The squid and clam pasta was also delightful. The whole wheat pasta was just right. More restaurants need to serve whole wheat pasta, the taste does not suffer. The food is why we came here. Not ambiance. Yes, it is bohemian and the kids working there kind of has a funny way about them, but in a charming and quirky way. The sweet and endearing sort. I liked my 3 of clubs but there was no one else in the restaurant because we came at an odd time 3pm during the week and they kept calling 3 of clubs until I realize they were referring to me. Sorry. If I live in the area, I would definitely be a regular.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank nadomom2

Boston
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great find with good food, reasonable prices, and a mission!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

So thrilled to stumble upon this place in Providence. Food is local, portions ate big, service was quick. Love the many layered stuff that they are doing with arts are youth needing employment options too. Hopes to get back to Providence just to visit again.

Visited September 2013
Eugene, Oregon
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Funky place with interesting food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

Good, fast food in a small restaurant. Looked like most people stopped by to get lunch to go. My colleague and I ate lunch there and were able to hold a business meeting. There were plenty of vegan options, and the food was satisfying. Would recommend this to anyone looking for quick food that's not "fast food"!

Visited October 2012
Durham, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fresh locally sourced food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2011

AS220 came highly recommended from a friend whose daughter had recently graduated from Brown. We are both fans of our local farmers' markets, and love "eating local". On a recent visit to Providence, my daughter and I decided to stop in for a quick lunch on the way to the airport. We shared only a few dishes, but each was fresh, innovative and delicious. I really can't eat lettuce from an industrial plastic bag anymore, after being spoiled by lettuce at my local farmers' market each week. AS220 did not disappoint. We ordered a simple salad, which came with the most delicious and tender lettuce and radishes, and a a light, tasty lemon vinaigrette. The bowl of crispy chickpeas with paprika, basil and garlic was perfect; the chickpeas firm but tender, coated with savory goodness. Finally we shared a grilled chicken sandwich with basil pesto and pickled onions on flatbread. The chicken tasted local and fresh, which is amazingly different! Or maybe it was just cooked perfectly. (I did notice that there was a list of local farms on the front window, but didn't see if the all meats and poultry were locally sourced.)
This is a great place to catch a quick, delicious meal. It's pretty low key; you place your order at the counter, find yourself an old wooden table and wait for your order to be called.
It's by no means fancy, but the food is freshly made. It's also got really good vegetarian and vegan options. Check out the menu online. If that appeals, the food is well executed and worth a swing by when in Providence!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank decafgreentea
MA/ME
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Vegan/Vegetarian friendly food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

I love the location because I work around the corner and there isn't a lot of options for a vegan. I've probably gone there about a dozen times, and I've only had a couple of meals I wasn't thrilled with. Their Rueban is awesome. But sometimes their food is too salty- I had a couple of coworkers throw out their lunches. But overall it's not bad.