“Don't book the one bedroom suite”

Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Providence
New York City, New York
“Don't book the one bedroom suite”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We booked the one bedroom suite but had really bad problems with the heater. The thermostat only worked in the bedroom and not in the living room. When we opted to use the living room, which was only for 20 minutes, we had to blast the thermostat all the way on high and at 90degrees, and it still was not warm enough - but the bedroom was like a sauna. There's no auto sensor on the thermostat so the heater was on all night...which dries out the room like and the hotel didn't have any humidifiers. The bathroom was very, very small but I understand b/c it's a really old building. The staff was really accommodating and sent a mechanic to our room twice regarding the heat, since nothing could be done, they charged us the rate of a regular room instead of a suite for both nights we were there. The views were amazing and the staff was very helpful.

Room Tip: do not book the one bedroom suite
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Westerly, Rhode Island
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We arrived at the Biltmore's valet service with 2-3 uniformed attendants at the ready. The staff's professional and excellent service immediately brought a feeling of luxury to me. The check in was seamless. The hotel was built in 1922 (?) and has been lovingly cared for. On a chilly and drizzly afternoon, this was a perfect selection for us. The bed...oh the bed. The pillows...oh the pillows. A Starbucks is in the lobby and they have a restaurant and separate pub. My honey had a drink and enjoyed the service in the pub.
Here is my only complaint: Poor drinking water. No vending machine for water on our floor. When I did find a vending machine, after a search, it did not accept cash. Not a good thing for me. That's it, my only complaint. Oh, location, location, location. Perfect!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I like this place. I've also stayed in the Providence Hilton and the Courtyard downtown, but prefer the Biltmore for its classic look, architecture and history. Over the course of five years, I've probably spent about 30 nights there and have never been disappointed. Some colleagues have told me of problems with plumbing or heating, but I've not had a problem that wasn't addressed immediately by the staff. The rooms are comfortable and the view from the upper floors is splendid. If you don't like to use valet parking, there is a garage next door. There are dozens of restaurants and bars within easy walking distance.

Room Tip: I don't know that there's a bad room. Views to the northeast are probably nicer than to the...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Poughkeepsie, NY
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was in Providence RI for a conference at the convention center. The conference hotel was way out of my per diem range so I looked around and found the Biltmore. I am so glad that I did! The Providence Biltmore is on the list of Historic Hotels of America, which I did not know until I got into my room, and it is lovely. It is a short walk away for the conference/convention center. Although the room was small by many of the days standards, I had a King sized bed, a small refrigerator, a place to work on my laptop, and I flat screen HD TV with cable. Wireless was complimentary. There was a coffee maker in the room. Every staff member I met was very kind and helpful. My room was spotless. I used the fitness center and the business center (after I checked out I planted myself there for about three hours until my next meeting). There is a restaurant and room service but I did not avail myself of that. Parking is $20 a day or $28 if you go with valet.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Jeffrey L, Manager at Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for the great review. I hope you have had a chance to come back since the completion of the renovation. Since your stay we also did a full renovation on our fitness center. It is now twice the size as before with all new equipment.

I love when new people discover the Biltmore. I hope your experience here was enough to win you over. We truly look forward to being your host for all your future visits to Providence.

Thanks again for the great review!

Jeff Lima
Reservations Manager
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed at the Biltmore during a conference held on-site, and I really enjoyed its professional yet historically quirky atmosphere. The price was great, the staff was very courteous and very responsive, and altogether it was a terrific experience. We had a very affordable suite, and there was plenty of space for everyone. It was easy to walk to other local attractions, shops, and eateries, too. I look forward to staying there again! My only tip would be to make sure your door latches shut completely -- the old doors didn't always fully latch, so a good tug and double-check when you leave the room will serve you well. Once they're fully latched, they're very secure!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for the great review. I am happy you were comfortable in our spacious guest room. It has been a few months since your review and I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Please note that we treasure the feedback and appreciate that you took the time to write your piece. I hope you have the opportunity to come back soon.

Thanks again,