“Worst service ever!! And I mean ever!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton

Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Providence
“Worst service ever!! And I mean ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I have never stayed in a hotel with worse customer service, and I have stayed in innumerable hotels. First of all, arriving from the airport at 3pm, we were told we had to pay a surprise $28 fee for valet, or park in an "unaffiliated" lot for $20 per day (but the parking garage says "the Biltmore"). Then, they wouldn't let us check in, and we had to leave our luggage until after 4pm although we were given a strict 11am checkout time (we had reservations too). When we returned, it easily took 30 minutes after checking in to retreive our luggage. Also, we have to note the room service plates from adjacent rooms with obvious breakfast food is still in the hallway at 11pm. For this price I'd rather stay 2 nights in another hotel, I bet the service would be way better.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Sara W
Jeffrey L, Manager at Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take great pride in our hotel and use feedback such as yours to better ourselves and improve for the future. With that, I am sorry that your experience was less than exceptional. One of the unfortunate parts about staying in a city hotel is that parking is an additional cost. The hotels in the direct city center of Providence do not have the luxury of space for a parking lot to offer free parking to the guests. Many of the hotels including ours lease space from the neighboring garage which is privately owned.

I also apologize that we did not have a room available for you to check in before our scheduled arrival time. The Biltmore has a 4pm check-in time for its guests and happily checks its guests in as soon as a room is available. We have that set time so we can ensure you are given the best possible room and that it is in perfect condition.

I hope that you will have the opportunity to return to our city so that I may bring you back and ensure your stay exceeds your expectation. I'd like to offer you my direct line so I may personally arrange your reservation and win you over.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Jeff Lima
Reservations Manager
401-455-3160

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

Very large and comfortable rooms, very centrally located, a super friendly and welcoming staff. The bathrooms were a bit small and depressing. The fitness facility was under construction during our visit, but the hotel had worked out a nice arrangement with a local sports club. The prices were quite reasonable. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephen F
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel has been lovingly updated to resemble its glory days of long ago. The details in the room are amazing reproductions from padded bed headboards to other art-deco type of ornaments. Romantic, very clean, nice front desk help

Room Tip: My room looked over a parking lot but the windows could open to let in the fresh Spring air - a plus...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank PurpleHydrangea
Londonderry, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I don't mind old hotels.... if they have adapted to the times. Biltmore has done nicely in room renovation aspect, but still lack due to minor oversights.

The biggest problem I had was with the ID cards to enter the room. First off, the card reader lever-set on the door was loose, and the door was warped and had too many layers of paint to close on its own. I had to push on the door to exit, and pull on the door to enter(yes Push to exit, because the door didn't close flush...so I had to push to free the latch of friction...). The door would stay open if I didn't forcefully push it closed at night. I'm not picky, so it didn't bother me. What bothered me most was the fact that we stayed for 2 nights and went through 9 ID cards.... they kept getting de-activated, and I'd be standing in front of my door 12 floors up only to have to go all the way back down, because both of my ID cards weren't working! Very frustrating and inexcusable this day in age, never had that problem before, but it happened 9 times at the Biltmore. Front desk staff didn't help either, suggesting I was de-magnetizing the card... "did you place it close to a cell phone or other credit card?" Are you kidding me... I have to separate my ID card with all my other essential items? They lost a point right at that moment for such comments! Like I said, you're an old hotel, but if you're not with the times on BASIC needs, such as room access/security, then you lose favor in my eyes. I've stayed in plenty of old hotels, some a lot older than the Biltmore, and they've all had ID room cards, and I've never had a problem, so no excuse as far as I'm concerned!

Pros:
Junior Suite was very spacious
70 something Cable channels, including six HBO Channels
Two TV's in Junior Suite
Newly Renovated
Comfy Bed

Cons:
- ID card issues
- Bathroom was tiny, toilet was too close to wall.
- Door knobs inside suite, had to be 40+ year old door hardware, if not original, but I hoped they weren't the ones from the roaring 20's.
- "The Shining type" OLD hallways, creepy as heck.
- Parking, 1 hour is $8, but daily is $20... so don't go in and out at the garage!
- Thin Windows, can hear everything outside, random people yelling at night.
- I just don't like Providence, the whole entire city rubbed me the wrong way, I'm glad to be home!!!

Room Tip: Junior Suite is very big, which relieved frustration from other issues.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Eknal
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This is an old hotel that was likely classy in its day. I hear there are some nice rooms, but I didn't get one. The "superior king" is a dusty, tiny hole. With nice, new, fresh hotels right nearby, don't get sucked into this dump.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank cararro
Jeffrey L, Manager at Providence Biltmore, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am truly sorry that your experience was negative. We have completed a full renovation of all of our guestrooms now in the early Summer and I am sure that if you were to give us another chance you would find the results are incredible.

I would love the opportunity to bring you back for a follow up visit to ensure you the Biltmore of old is no more. We are revitalized and once again the Grande Dame of Providence.

Please, reach out to me direct 401-455-3160. That number will ring directly to my desk. The next time you are visiting Providence, give me a chance to personally see to it that your opinion of the Biltmore is a five star opinion.

Jeff Lima
401-455-3160
Reservations Manager
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

This is such a beautiful old building that is in amazing condition. The lobby has the most beautiful staircase and many historic artifacts to view. Don't miss the high water markers from the 1938 and 1954 hurricanes. The staff was extremely helpful and polite. We were here for a function in the ballroom which is gorgeous! The food was some of the best we have ever eaten! A delight for the taste buds! Our room was very nice and the bed was unbelievable comfortable! I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: They are all outside rooms, so there is no bad room!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Staying in a 1br suite for 2 nights. Lovely hotel conveniently located near restaurants and amtrak. Starbucks in the building too.

Best part is complimentary hotel car (based upon avail and within 3 miles but can pay for further distance if you need to.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business