“Beautiful hotel with very helpful and friendly staff!”

Providence Biltmore
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Providence
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This hotel is gorgeous! The girls at the front desk were very friendly, helpful and even gave us complimentary late check out so we could enjoy the room longer. The bell and valet service were extremely helpful and friendly. They even helped us pick a restaurant (The Luxe) to eat lunch before we checked out and it was absolutely delicious! They also made sure our bags and car were ready to go when we came back to check out. We stayed in the Grande Suite which was beautiful, clean and roomy. The only downfall to this room is that the free standing bath tub is extremely small. So if you plan on getting this room just know that it is nearly impossible for more than one SMALL person to enjoy it comfortably. Also, I'm not sure if this was just our room or not but we didn't have any bottled water in the room. When I called the front desk for water they transferred me to room service which told me it would be $9.50 for one bottle of water. I'm not sure if the water had gold flakes floating in it but if not then $9.50 for one bottle of water seemed a little ridiculous so we went to the convenient store on the corner to purchase it. Like I said, it could just be that our room was accidentally not stocked with water because the room had a fridge and coffee pot with complimentary coffee.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Jeffrey L, Manager at Providence Biltmore, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you very much for the positive review. I am happy you were able to enjoy the Grande Suite. The bathrooms in the Grande Suites are certainly something special. It is great to hear that your interaction with the staff was positive and that our level of service was top notch as always.
My apologies that there was a mix up with the simple request for bottled water. I can assure you we do have it available and would most certainly expect you could receive it upon request. I will be sure to follow up with our team and make sure all available amenities are easily accessible for the future.
It is our intent to deliver the highest possible service on any given day at any given time and I certainly hope we get the chance again some day to prove that to you.

Thank you so much for the great review and we look forward to hosting you for all of your future trips to Providence.

Reservations Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,361)

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Providence Biltmore last Saturday. We enjoy old hotels and this one was lovely. The location is near many restaurants and downtown was hopping. We had a very large room with two king beds and a separate living room, huge closet, sink area and shower/toilet area. There were two large TV screen, I phone dock and a great view of the street and old buildings. The staff was very pleasant and check in and valet a breeze even with lots of people coming and going. The negatives were that the toilet was not fasted properly and made a loud noise when you sat down, there were no shelves for personal items near the sink and the bath towels were thin and kid sized. Also the sheet quality and pillows were not in line with the idea of upscale hotels. But would stay there again as would my friend if either of us were in the area again.

Room Tip: think we stayed in a junior suite and it was very spacious and the layout and view facing the street...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to give our property a positive review. It is always great to get our guests feedback and we certainly use it to improve and continuously grow. Based on your description you were indeed in the Junior Suite. It is truly a great room and I am happy it was the right accommodation for you.

My apologies for the pieces in the room that were not up to standard. I will be sure to do some investigation and ensure the bathroom fixtures are maintained accordingly. Please also know that we take our linen and pillow quality seriously and will remove anything from inventory that is not suitable (in perfect condition) for a guestroom.

Again, I thank you sincerely for taking the time out of your day to give us the honest and positive feedback. We will certainly utilize your comments for the immediate future.

I hope we have the pleasure of hosting you and your family or friends once again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Hotel is in a fantastic position just a walk from some of the great restaurants in Providence. The suite we had was very well appointed and comfortable, the service from the staff was fine, it just missed some of the touches that would make it great.

The rooms had no information about the services at the Hotel so you either had to call the main desk or go hunting for yourself. We were attending a conference and the facilities were very good, however apart from delivering the food and refreshments there were none of the little touches you come to expect that take a good hotel to a great one.

The major complaint was with the in house restaurant which was provided by McCormick and Schmick - the breakfast and dinner services was appalling - the food when it arrived was fine but getting to that point was like pulling teeth. I spoke to a number of the guests and they all had the same feedback that the staff and the service were really bad. I will be sending a note to the hotel letting them know that the restaurant is not helping with their image.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank hobokiwi

Thank you so much for the informative and constructive feedback. You make a great point with your comments. We take great pride it delivering that extra 5% that you speak of. That little extra truly is the difference maker in the "just good" or "extraordinary". We do appreciate the points you bring to attention. We are able to benefit from a review such as this because of the honesty and guest perspective it delivers.

Now that our rooms are fully renovated we have a product we all take great pride in. I think doing the additional 5% you speak of we will be what sets the Biltmore apart from the rest of the city.

On a final note, thank you for the information regarding the restaurant service. We will be sure to bring this directly to the restaurant teams attention. As a part of our property , the restaurant represents the Biltmore and we surely want the extraordinary to carry throughout.

Thank you again and we look forward to hosting you again on your next trip to Providence.

Reservations Manager.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had a very nice overnight stay here this past weekend. The hotel itself is a grand dame, an historic beauty. We spent lots of time on the main floor and the mezzanine level reading the many historic displays, including postcards sent from the hotel since it's opening in 1922, old menus, heart stopping photographs from the Great Hurricane of 1938 who's tragedy played out on the Biltmore's front door. These exhibits, simply presented yet prominently displayed, evoke another era, connecting the Biltmore guest of today to the Biltmore guest of yesterday. Part of the charm is that the Biltmore takes it's history seriously, and that is central to it's success, allowing it to move into the 21st century while maintaining it's connection to it's rich past.

The hotel public areas as well as it's rooms have been lovingly renovated and maintained. Good friends had a suite in another section of the hotel from our room, so we had the opportunity to see two very different classes of accommodations as well as floors of the hotel. Their 11th floor two room suite was spacious with truly stunning views of the Kennedy Plaza area, wow, whereas our very small room on the 3rd floor had not so stunning views of the parking lot! But, no problem, someone has to have views of the parking lot! Our room lacked nothing, OK, except a view, but what was funny was that our bathroom was quite a bit bigger than theirs, and they had the suite! That is part of the appeal of an historic hotel - non-conformity, uniqueness, character.

Do I wish that the hotel itself had it's own bar, not connected with McCormick & Schmick's which is directly accessed through the lobby, but is a chain installation - let's face that, McCormick & Schmick's is a huge corporate chain promoting it's own branding……..Yes, definitely. A grand hotel deserves it's own personalized drinking establishment for hotel guests and visitors to relax and unwind and take in the unique ambiance of what the Biltmore represented and represents. A lobby bar, or a mezzanine bar, would have been so appealing - to take advantage of the gorgeous lobby and the 3 story expansive foyer - perhaps called Falstaff's after the Biltmore's own past historic venue, who's mural hangs on the mezzanine level as a reminder of the grand days. Another missed opportunity is that the hotel has a lovely outdoor porch area off of the 3rd floor, very inviting with plants, nice tables and chairs, fresh air, great views - how nice to be able to sit outside, have a craft cocktail and a small plate - but sadly, no - it is closed, open only to special events. This porch could be a big revenue generator, in my opinion, not only for hotel guests but for visitors to the city. It would be nice if the Biltmore could have a restaurant of it's own, at least a bar, to capitalize on the beauty of the lobby and the outdoor 3rd floor porch - something personal, a piano bar, something with character which is the Biltmore's, not the identity of the chain steak venue next door. But I understand the financial constraints, alas.

Bedding is excellent, bathrooms are outfitted with high quality towels and toiletries, excellent flat screen TVs, everything you would expect - except a mini-bar, no mini-bar, and I was sorry about that. The walls of the rooms themselves are well insulated, but, the doors to the rooms, not so much. We easily heard people in the hallways. But the biggest problem is that the plumbing, at least in our room, was ridiculously loud - to be clear, the sound of our own plumbing - we didn't hear the pipes from other rooms - but in the night, to turn on our own faucet for a glass of water or heaven forbid, to flush the toilet, the sound was earth shattering to the person trying to sleep in the bedroom, loud like REALLY loud! A part of the "charm" of an older hotel! So a room tip, fill your water glasses before you go to sleep and don't flush in the middle of the night!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lexmiller

I love this review. You certainly have a way with words. So eloquently written I felt as though we were having a conversation. I thank you wholeheartedly for taking the time out of what I can assume is a busy day to write this great piece on our property. It is true, we are a historic gem in Providence with a lot of charm, intricacy and unique quality that cannot be found in the cookie cutter hotels of modern day. It is always music to my ears when I hear people such as yourself finding and embracing all that is the Biltmore.

I am sorry if any of our "charm" was a nuisance and with some research I will find the room and see if there is anything that can be done to reduce the noise issues you refer to.

We hope that with your stay we have won you over with our service, our décor, our history and our drive to make your experience the greatest hotel experience possible. I wish you well and hope to host you again some time very soon.

Enjoy your Summer and thank you ever so much.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stumbled upon this gem in the heart of providence! Beautiful, classy hotel with great staff, spacious clean rooms with great views of city. Amazing value and service, from moment I made phone reservation to checkout. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

So great to hear that all aspects of your trip were positive. We are excited to share our new renovated rooms with everyone as the Biltmore regains its name as the Grande Dame of Providence. Thank you so very much for all of the positive words and we are excited to host you again in the very near future.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can be of any assistance in future bookings.

401-455-3160

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The beds at the Providence Biltmore are heavenly. I don't think I have every had a bed that was as comfortable, soft, plush... etc. Everything was clean, the rooms were well decorated and the price was amazing for the area. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and courteous. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for the great five star review. The beds are incredible aren't they? We had the "Biltmore Bed" custom designed during our renovation by the local genius of Cardi's Furniture. Your sleep experience here is truly one of a kind and I am so happy you had the chance to indulge.

We are doing all that we can to expand the experience well beyond the sleep. It is our goal to deliver on every aspect and be certain that all of our guests leave feeling refreshed and searching their calendars for the next opportunity to come back.

I hope we were able to deliver that message to you loud and clear. Thank you once again of the great review and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Biltmore is a real gem. A classy and professional experience from check in to check out-I haven't seen anything like this since my parents took me to New York city in the 60's. We travel a lot and this will be our new standard to gage all the others.

Room Tip: Ask for suite.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Great to hear we set a standard for you in hotel experience. We have set a standard for ourselves too. We aim to deliver exactly what you describe; an experience to compare all others against. We want to not only set the bar but raise it at every opportunity. It is with people like you and the positive word of mouth that we know we are doing the right things to achieve the goal.

Thank you so very much for letting us know our pursuit for perfection is well on its way. We look forward to your next visit so we may once again showcase to you and yours how we have grown further since your visit.

I wish you the best Summer yet!