All reviewscoast guard stationstate parkstation housefull kitchencampobello islandquoddy headwashington roomlight houselife saving stationhead lightworking lightwalking trailsrescue stationthe main houseeastern pointshort drivewest quoddy
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Staying in this beautifully restored Coast Guard Station was a memorable way to end each day and greet each morning in Lubec. The views are unspoiled and stunning. Bill, our host, was affable and gracious. We had nice weather until Hurricane Arthur decided to pay a visit. We stayed in our suite, Kimball, enjoying our family and friends while the storm raged around us. With a fully equipped kitchen and the forethought to buy groceries on our way in, we were snug and happy to be in such an interesting place to weather the storm. While the generator fed the TV and kitchen at the storm's worst, the convenience of board games, puzzles and cards on site brought back fond memories and kept us entertained. Power came back on by the day's end and we explored town to see the extent of the storm's damage. West Quoddy Station was comparably unscathed! We will definitely be back-the adventure appealed to our teenage daughter, 30-something family/friends and my husband and me.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank teragramsb123
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had the unique experience of travelling solo and having the entire barracks/house to myself for the evening. You won't find a better location to watch the sunset from a private deck, enjoy indigo-dark skies for stargazing (a thrill for city-dwellers with light pollution), and watch the sunrise (a walk or short drive) from the lighthouse at the Easternmost point. The whole reason of my stay was to see the sun rise on the first moment of the summer solstice over the Easternmost point and I got my wish granted with splendor.I didn't know there were hiking trails, but I ended up braving the most difficult one, 4 miles, and it was nothing short of a spiritual experience with spectacular coastal views for the first half and lush forestry for the second. I've never hiked and didn't even have proper shoes for some of the rougher parts, but I made it through on no more sustenance than a splash of coffee and an empty stomach. Toward the end, with dewy brow, muddy shoes and a vow to get in better shape, I could hear the "Rocky" theme music in my head, but I swear I came out a different person.
My stay was only for one night, but I wish I had known to bring groceries as I had a full kitchen at my disposal. There are cabinets full of pots, pans, and dishes, a coffeemaker and lots of space if you feel like whipping up a full meal. Unfortunately there was not a store for miles and everything seemed to close by 8:00 p.m., so God bless the person who left behind a box of spaghetti. The charm of a small town is that well, it isn't a big town (which I live in), so if you're looking for 24- hour stores and all conveniences at hand, this isn't the place for you.
The house itself was well-kept and I enjoyed the nautical décor and historical photos. Bathroom clean, bed comfortable, lots of space to move around. Then again, I was in there by myself, I can't speak of how it would be with other guests close at hand. I'm not sure about the "bed and breakfast" moniker, as I didn't see a soul for breakfast (what time would that be, anyway?) and wasn't sure if everyone was going to suddenly pile into the house or if folks were just happy in their separate cabins outside. Although I never spoke with the staff because I arrived after sunset and checked out by 10:00 a.m., she was sweet enough to leave a welcome note on the door with her contact number, the door unlocked and the key trustingly on the kitchen table. Oh, unfortunately you can't get a signal up that way, so fair warning if you're one who must have cell service at all times. I wasn't able to call or text a soul, but who cares? It was a peaceful, unusual getaway and I got lucky with perfect weather; I only wished I could stay longer. Would love to return!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Triad462
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent three nights in the Washington Suite which is located in this neat renovated Coast Guard station. It's located in a terrific area for hiking and outdoor activities. We spent one day on Campobello Island visiting the Roosevelt International Park and the East Quoddy Head Lighthouse. We spent a second day hiking at West Quoddy Head State Park. The park has a great cliff lined coastal trail. Our first night we spent watching a beautiful sunset from the deck right outside our Suite . When we got cold we went up the spiral staircase to the lookout tower and continued to watch the nightscape. Mornings were spent watching a local fisherman tossing out his lobster traps. Lubec is a quaint town with a pretty harbor. We could have easily spent more time and plan to return in the future. It was a truly memorable visit!!!!

Room Tip: Talk to Bill. He will help you select your room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Walkinglaurie
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Traveling from New Hampshire to Halifax last October, we were very fortunate to find the West Quoddy Head Light Station B&B through Trip Advisor. We stayed at the Keepers Cottage both en-route and on-return from Halifax. The owner made reservations simple and directions were easy. Arriving at night under the full moon, the cottage exceeded our expectations, and we were pleasantly surprised to find a quaint décor, newly remodeled bath, nautical lighting fixtures, and a working satellite TV! Having a functional kitchen to make breakfast at our own leisure worked out far better than staying at a conventional bed & breakfast or hotel. Ocean views from the windows, visits to the nearby lighthouse and the town of Lubec exceeded our expectations. Affordable, clean and comfortable, staying at the cottage was the highlight of our 5 day road trip! Can't wait to get back and stay longer!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank DavidH1504
Reviewed 4 January 2014

My fiance and I love Lubec and have made many trips to the area. This was our first stay at West Quoddy Head Light Station. We rented The Cottage for a week this Christmas. It was adorable and rustic with a terrific waterview. The full kitchen was well equipped and the beds were very comfortable. We liked the fact that is was seperate from the other units on the property, which gave us the privacy we were seeking. The cabin was a bit dusty (probably not used much in the winter months) but otherwise was clean and confortable with all the amenities we needed. The Cabin, as do all the units at this lodge, has an outstanding waterview and is conveniently located near the village of Lubec's restaurants, pubs, quaint artsy shops, various tourist attractions, and the grocery store. There was an ice storm and quite a bit a snow during our stay, but thanks to the reliable generator and gas range, we were never without heat, phone, TV, etc. We took advantage of the snow and the terrific sledding hill on the property. We look forward to renting this cabin on our next trip to Lubec.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple