“Great ocean view...”

Ranked #3 of 8 Lubec B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Great ocean view...”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I would give this inn a 3.5. I really liked the location and the view from the room, but I struggled with a few things so I have a difficult time giving it a 4. The sunset I saw from my balcony was breathtaking. The bedding is super cozy. The chairs in the room were very comfortable. And the bathroom was nice. I struggled with the amount of common area noise that I heard in my room. The rooms and the common areas are floored with ceramic tile and there's not really any fabric window coverings anywhere, so there's not much to absorb sound. I heard the footsteps from people walking in the common areas, suitcases being rolled on the floor, and other guests' conversations in my room. And then there were the flies. There were numerous flies in my hotel room and on the balcony. There's nothing peaceful or relaxing about flies landing on you while you're trying to journal, read a magazine, etc. It was a real nuisance. Beautiful view, nice room, but other things made my stay uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We arrived at sunset and checked out the next morning so we didn't get to spend much time here. The room was clean and had a beautiful water view. I like air conditioning but I could only get the heat to turn on so we opened the windows which was ok for awhile since no one was sitting on the common balcony. The room had a small sitting area inside the windows that overlooked the water. I could have spent a little more time here touring some of the attractions in the area and relaxing on the balcony. We did visit west quoddy light house, but we did not have time to visit Campobello, so maybe next time.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room with a private balcony so other guests on the common balcony would not obs...
Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank harrisburgtraveler83
Swanville, Maine
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Very nice, unusual setting, well designed layout, and fine service. Rooms are modern and clean; could be enhanced by more artwork. But no artwork will match the views out the window. This town and this location are special places. They're got bikes and kayaks for rent, too. I'd recommend a casual bike ride around town, or even into Campobello. Doesn't take long!

Room Tip: I suggest one of the rooms past the common area for best views and privacy. Those don't have de...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've stayed at the Inn at the Wharf before and needless to say have enjoyed it.

Once again I found the rooms ample, nicely furnished, clean and the views spectacular. I also enjoyed sitting in the common area at breakfast, eating the hot muffins and coffee provided with the room, reading my paper and conversing with other guests. Since I stayed there for two weeks while attending Summerkeys, I really appreciated the cooking facilities and access to a washer and dryer.

Last summer's erratic internet problems have been solved.

Several staff members and the owners remembered me from the prior year, which makes me feel like a valued guest.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank ColumbiaMDPercolate
Mass
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This property exceeded our expectations in every way. We had been prepared for the fish smell, but barely noticed it. The room (Sea Gate) was very clean and had a balcony for 2 that adjoined the common balcony area, and walked into the common room with kitchen where coffee was available each morning. A refrigerator was there for sharing. The views were spectacular. In two nights we saw mesmerizing sunny water, heavy fog the second morning that burned off, a gentle rainy morning--it was just beautiful. Our bed was comfortable, chairs were great for reading, sitting and talking, or for watching the dock and the ocean. The staff could not have been nicer. It was great to be able to dine on site our first night. A restaurant guest suggested we try the Water Street Café for another local experience, and we had a fantastic dinner there.
The only downside was the spotty Wi Fi. The first night it was fine, not to stay on ever again. Another surprise was our "smart" phone which told us we were abroad and subject to international rates. We both turned them off. Campobello was minutes from the Inn and customs was quick on both sides of the bridge. The Roosevelt property was very well presented, a joint project of Canada and US. The Visitor Center information was easy to read/view and enhanced our appreciation of the place, as well as the history. A nice, brief film runs continually which old and young seemed to enjoy. We had packed appropriately with light summer wear for days, sweatshirts and heavier clothes for the cool-cold nights. There is no TV in the rooms and no a/c. We did not need a/c on our visit.

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the restaurant have the balconies, which are nice, and overlook the dock. For...
2 Thank Molly066
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This was a terrific find! The rooms were simple but comfortable and the view of the water was phenomenal, even complete with sunsets and boats. The staff was friendly and helpful. The adjoining restaurant had fresh delicious seafood and tasty blueberry pancakes. We only stayed a night due to our overall trip itinerary, but would definitely plan for a longer stay another time!

3 Thank Catherine C
Naples, Maine
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Beautiful views, spotlessly clean, comfortable rooms and a host that insures that every guest's experience be a positive one. Restaurant on site serving the freshest of seafood(and other things) at a reasonable cost. Kayaks, bicycles and whale watching available. Lubec is a charming quirky, artsy town with friendly folk who are glad to see you. Golf at Campobello, hike at Quoddy Head or the Coastal Trail in Cutler. An excellent option over the usual Maine costal tourist destinations. Well worth the drive. We already have reservations for 2014.

Room Tip: Avoid the handicapped room near the steps unless required
1 Thank ExToothLady
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lubec
Rossmount Inn
#1 of 3 in Deer Island
Machias River Inn
Machias River Inn
#2 of 3 in Machias

Been to The Inn at the Wharf? Share your experiences!