“Two reviews here”

The Inn at the Wharf
Ranked #3 of 8 Lubec B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed at the hotel for two nights. The first night was in one of the two bedroom apartments and the second night in one of the regular hotel rooms that had a balcony. The two-bedroom apartments are exceptional! An incredible amount of space, a wonderful balcony that overlooks the water. The kitchen is very spacious with lovely granite countertops, a full size refrigerator, a 4 burner stove, dishwasher, coffee maker,pans and dishes. It has a master bedroom with a king bed and a second bedroom with two twins. Both bedrooms have their own full size bathrooms. The entire place was immaculately clean. The charge for this apartment was $150 per night, which seemed very cheap to us. The apartments (there are only 3) were not available for our second night, so we moved to one of the hotel rooms with a balcony. Four of the hotel rooms have balconies; however, while the apartment balconies overlook the water and are away from the dock, the hotel balconies are over the dock, really upclose and personal with the employees and fish odors. Also, the hotel rooms with balconies are tiny, smaller than a normal hotel room. I've read on TA that the hotel rooms without balconies are larger and while we really enjoy a balcony, I would have chosen the non-balcony one over the room we had. The price for that room was $100. I'd say if you can get one of the apartments, get it and enjoy it, but I think if the apartments are booked, I might look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MarleneIllinois
There are newer reviews for The Inn at the Wharf

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We spent 4 days at this refurbished sardine factory with a common area and a very good restaurant. Each rm hangs over the water where a large harbor seal and many birds converge. Most guests were adult travelers seeking out-of-the-way destinations, like us. So, a quiet, respectful group. We had unseasonably warm, clear weather. There wouldn't be much to do in the area during a rainy spell. The only noteworthy thing is that this is an active dock and the odor of chum wafts around, but you get used to it. The rooms were immaculate.

Room Tip: I recommend rooms without a balcony. They are larger and there are lots of windows.
2  Thank Llisa55
Reviewed 2 September 2013

At the suggestion of some acquaintances who loved the town of Lubec, we decided to make the 5-hour trek to see what they were raving about. There were not many lodging options in this small (and I mean SMALL) town, so we decided to go with the highly-rated (by Tripadvisor no less) Inn at the Wharf.

My first experience with this establishment was when I called to ask some questions and possibly to reserve a room for the weekend. I was greeted by a woman who was quick to mention that she was "very busy" (at 1pm on a Saturday) and that "she had people checking in" and asked me to call back! All I wanted to know was a few specifics on the rooms and my options, since their website was almost completely useless in describing their offerings. I called back, and she was equally annoyed that I had not made up my mind yet and that I had a couple of more questions. What ever happened to customer service?

Upon check-in, they make you pay in full for your reservation. No reputable place I have ever stayed at has done this - it has always been at check out.

The location was right on the water, with great views.The rooms were clean (as they should be). The downside is that the Inn is built from an old sardine packaging plant that was completely renovated. The idea was a novel one, but there is still a working dock directly in front of the Inn, and constant work being done by lobster fisherman right underneath the Inn itself.

Both nights we were there, it was ridiculously noisy, both from the fisherman working at the dock (driving around their forklift around the building until 9:30pm!!!), as well as the noise from "The Lounge" area. The "Lounge" was basically a second kitchen in the middle of the building that separated two hallways of guest rooms. At all hours of the day, you could hear staff loading and unloading a dishwasher, closing cabinets loudly, and talking with no discretion for the guests who were there to simply relax, or sleep at night! There was also a heavy outside door that guests would use and it would slam shut over and over again. Guests would congregate in the Lounge area and would be talking loudly and laughing at 7 in the morning while most normal people are still sleeping in or relaxing. It was very, very loud. There should be a sound dampening door separating the guest room hallways from the lounge.

The entire guest area is updated in tile, but man does sound travel in that place! You could hear doors slamming at all hours, waking you in the early morning, keeping you awake at night. Not to mention the rooms have very thin walls, and I could hear everything my neighbors were saying. Every sneeze, cough, laugh was heard. It was just unacceptable for what should be a quaint, relaxing spot.

The food service in the restaurant was awful. We received our entire food order BEFORE we were able to get a cup of coffee - or a water! The waitress sat us down at a dirty table, "cleaned" it in front of us, and left a long dark hair in the middle of the table!! Paul's "famous" potatoes were terrible - no seasoning at all, and dry. My wife had a thumb indent/print of jelly on her buttered toast, and a hair on her plate. The waitresses were completely overwhelmed, and the staff was clearly not trained properly.

Overall, I was very displeased with the stay at the Inn on the Wharf, and would never go back.

The best part about this place was the view, and the king bed was actually very comfortable and clean - but I would never go back again.

Room Tip: Would not recommend this hotel. If you are going to stay here, make sure to ask them not to put you...
2  Thank Nallty
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I would give this inn a 3.5. I really liked the location and the view from the room, but I struggled with a few things so I have a difficult time giving it a 4. The sunset I saw from my balcony was breathtaking. The bedding is super cozy. The chairs in the room were very comfortable. And the bathroom was nice. I struggled with the amount of common area noise that I heard in my room. The rooms and the common areas are floored with ceramic tile and there's not really any fabric window coverings anywhere, so there's not much to absorb sound. I heard the footsteps from people walking in the common areas, suitcases being rolled on the floor, and other guests' conversations in my room. And then there were the flies. There were numerous flies in my hotel room and on the balcony. There's nothing peaceful or relaxing about flies landing on you while you're trying to journal, read a magazine, etc. It was a real nuisance. Beautiful view, nice room, but other things made my stay uncomfortable.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We arrived at sunset and checked out the next morning so we didn't get to spend much time here. The room was clean and had a beautiful water view. I like air conditioning but I could only get the heat to turn on so we opened the windows which was ok for awhile since no one was sitting on the common balcony. The room had a small sitting area inside the windows that overlooked the water. I could have spent a little more time here touring some of the attractions in the area and relaxing on the balcony. We did visit west quoddy light house, but we did not have time to visit Campobello, so maybe next time.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room with a private balcony so other guests on the common balcony would not obs...
Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank harrisburgtraveler83
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Very nice, unusual setting, well designed layout, and fine service. Rooms are modern and clean; could be enhanced by more artwork. But no artwork will match the views out the window. This town and this location are special places. They're got bikes and kayaks for rent, too. I'd recommend a casual bike ride around town, or even into Campobello. Doesn't take long!

Room Tip: I suggest one of the rooms past the common area for best views and privacy. Those don't have de...
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I've stayed at the Inn at the Wharf before and needless to say have enjoyed it.

Once again I found the rooms ample, nicely furnished, clean and the views spectacular. I also enjoyed sitting in the common area at breakfast, eating the hot muffins and coffee provided with the room, reading my paper and conversing with other guests. Since I stayed there for two weeks while attending Summerkeys, I really appreciated the cooking facilities and access to a washer and dryer.

Last summer's erratic internet problems have been solved.

Several staff members and the owners remembered me from the prior year, which makes me feel like a valued guest.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank ColumbiaMDPercolate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lubec
Granite Town Hotel
#2 of 3 in Machias
Compass Rose
Compass Rose
#1 of 6 in Grand Manan

Been to The Inn at the Wharf? Share your experiences!