“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I have vacationed in Lubec for a long time, but always hesitated to take the time and spend the money (we paid about $60.00 per person) on a whale watch tour. I always thought it would be little more than a boat ride. Boy was I wrong! This past summer I was “forced” by a friend to go along, and I LOVED it. First of all, you are not inside a cabin, but the boat is covered, so you are out of the sun (and hopefully not rain) if you wish to be. I am not sure how many passengers are allowed, but probably no more than six. The boat is powerful and fast when it needs to be, and the captain competes and has won lobster boat races! He is friendly and cooperative and gave us a short history (a right amount of talking, said my friend) of Lubec and Campobello. Then he took us way past the tip of Campobello where we saw several whales spouting. Along the way, we saw at least 25 bald eagles, herons, puffins, seals and porpoises. We did not see the giant whirlpool "Old Sow" itself, because of the tides, but the captain took us to the location and told us about it. Downeast Charter Boat Tours has a web site.... check it out...I am not a friend or an employee... I just believe in giving credit where it is due.

Visited September 2012