“Good overall but still disappointed”

Downeast Charter Boat Tours
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We took an approximate two hour tour from Lubec on the Lorna Doone.

Dave, our captain, was excellent. He was very informative and took us around to all the sites. He maneuvered the boat to afford us the best angles for pictures.

We saw several eagles and many seals. We were able to briefly see two Minke whales.

The tour included great views of Lubec, Mulholland Light, Friar's Head, fishing pens, Roosevelt's cottage, East Quoddy Head Light, Eastport Maine, and a seal colony.

My disappointment came with our opportunity to view the Old Sow whirlpool. I had asked, Carol, the owner several times if we could schedule our tour to see the whirlpool at its peak and she assured me that we would. Unfortunately we did not having arrived about one hour early according to Dave. We saw several small whirlpools, called piglets, but not the main event. I was very disappointed to miss this opportunity and don't know when I will be in Lubec again.

3  Thank Kbarrelle

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This was my first trip to Maine, so obviously my first time to Lubec as well. I'd been on a whale watch earlier in the week on a larger boat elsewhere, but going out on the Lorna Doone was so much more enjoyable. It's a smaller boat (seats six) so you are able to get better views of wildlife and the boat is able to quickly move in any direction once a whale is spotted. I absolutely loved this tour - we saw bald eagles, seals, porpoises, and finback whales. Not to mention, there's gorgeous scenery and views surrounding you the entire time. Seriously, this was one of the most memorable parts of my week-long vacation.

3  Thank DenverCO2013
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Our sunset cruise with Downeast Charter Boat Tours on the 25-foot lobster yacht, the Lorna Doone, was absolutely awesome. The boat, which is very comfortable, only takes 6 passengers, so it almost felt like a private cruise. We headed out at 6:30 to tour Johnson, Cobscook, Passamaquoddy, and Fundy Bays.

The weather was perfect, the light was glorious, and if all we had been treated to was the stunning coastal scenery, it would have made for a magical evening and been well worth the $55 cost. But we also saw Old Sow, one of the world’s largest tidal whirlpools; East Quoddy Head Lighthouse on Canada’s Campobello Island; and fantastic wildlife sightings – seals, bald eagles, even minke whales. And a beautiful sunset.

As a special treat, we cruised on the 4th of July and got to watch the excellent Eastport fireworks display from the water. But even without this bonus, Mother Nature provided plenty of attractions to make this cruise a highly enjoyable, memorable one.

15  Thank VOYJEAN
Reviewed 19 July 2013

The Captain took six of us on an unforgettable tour of the area. Every time we would see marine life - dolphins, seals, eagles, and a Minke whale! - he would stop the boat, and stay positioned as close as possible for all of us to see (and take pictures!) Then he would turn the boat so everyone on the other side got a clear view too!
I had truly come out to see the Old Sow whirlpool. Sadly, it does not form up unless the tides are perfect, and apparently they usually aren't. I enjoyed the tour thoroughly even without the star attraction - there were dozens of baby whirlpools churning, and they had attracted the whale. This was my first whale sighting and I am still in awe. (It was also the first of the season, which the Captain was delighted about!)
Go and ride on the bay, with its awesome tides, in the company of one who knows them well.

1  Thank beachlurk
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I have vacationed in Lubec for a long time, but always hesitated to take the time and spend the money (we paid about $60.00 per person) on a whale watch tour. I always thought it would be little more than a boat ride. Boy was I wrong! This past summer I was “forced” by a friend to go along, and I LOVED it. First of all, you are not inside a cabin, but the boat is covered, so you are out of the sun (and hopefully not rain) if you wish to be. I am not sure how many passengers are allowed, but probably no more than six. The boat is powerful and fast when it needs to be, and the captain competes and has won lobster boat races! He is friendly and cooperative and gave us a short history (a right amount of talking, said my friend) of Lubec and Campobello. Then he took us way past the tip of Campobello where we saw several whales spouting. Along the way, we saw at least 25 bald eagles, herons, puffins, seals and porpoises. We did not see the giant whirlpool "Old Sow" itself, because of the tides, but the captain took us to the location and told us about it. Downeast Charter Boat Tours has a web site.... check it out...I am not a friend or an employee... I just believe in giving credit where it is due.

4  Thank BillieUSA