“Stunning views!”
Review of Cohill's Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lubec
Cohill's Inn
Ranked #5 of 8 Lubec B&B and Inns
East Haven
“Stunning views!”
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Great Place! The owner greets you by name, and will be happy to accomodate any requests; stay on an upper floor and have stunning views of the Bay of Funday, and the lighthouse...The place to see there is Campobello Island which is a 2 minute drive... Of course it is in Canada so bring a passport, and plenty of time to explore this Island.... No wonder why FDR loved this island. Cohills is clean, reasonable, and with a friendly staff... If you want a limited menu sit out on the upper deck, if you forget a blanket the friendly bartender will bring one if you are chilly. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank YESfan11

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I went to Cohill's with my family for an escape from life for a week. I can't even begin to explain how pleasant my experience was. The owner, Jack, provided us with anything we needed to know about Lubec, complete with a list of all the worthwhile things to see during our stay. Everyone there was very happy and helpful(which can be rare these days), and did anything they could to accommodate our needs. While we kayaked and whale watched during the day, we were always excited to come back and have a wonderful and fresh meal by night. We found a lot of the food in Lubec to be fried, so it was nice to have organic, tasty options that never disappointed...anything you order will be KILLER, even the salads are overflowing with flavor(as hard as that is to believe, trust me!). Seeing the panoramic view of the Bay of Fundy was a pleasant experience, especially when waking up to it in our room with the seals playing in the water every morning.
Lubec has great spirit, and provided us with a much needed vacation from the chaos of everyday life. Cohill's was a large portion of why we enjoyed ourselves so much, I would recommend this gem to anyone!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KHamilt0n
NYC
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I spent two nights here in mid-July. I was in the "Eastport" room and found the view mesmerising. My travel companions were in "The Narrows" and liked it as well--bigger bed, but not quite as nice a view.

We ended up being very pleased with our choice of Cohill's while touring the area. Lubec itself is tiny but charming, especially when the weather is clear. You won't find much to do in "town" besides strolling through the streets and poking your head into a shop or two, but we found no shortage of things to see: Campobello Island, Quoddy Head park (stunning cliffs, great bog walk), ferry rides to Eastport and Deer Island, etc.

We had dinner at Cohill's one night. I really liked my main (grilled local salmon) but alas, the blueberry pie was a disappointment. Breakfast was simple "continental"-type fare, which was fine with me. The dining room looks out over the water, and binoculars are provided with which one can see an eagle's nest. The staff at Cohill's was friendly enough, happy to answer questions, make inquiries, etc.

I would call this place "comfortable" rather than luxurious, but it happened to be exactly what we were looking for--clean, conveniently located, great views.

1 Thank FarShore
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Crowded with locals and tourists and very accommodating service. The food was very reasonable priced (under 10) and delicious.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Leslie1957
New Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We loved Lubec Maine, it doesn't get more scenic, but were beyond disappointed in our stay at Cohill's. With the exception of the friendly housekeeper, we felt no warmth from the staff. One example: At 7am we went downstairs for our "breakfast" (which was little more than yogurt and bananas). Right as we walked in Glenn, who works there, barked at us "Are you staying here?". If he has looked up from his laptop he would have seen that he himself had checked us in only a little more than 12 hours beforehand. He then informed us that we were to bus our tables when done. In general that does not offend me or my travel companions, but the tone he used did, especially since he couldn't be torn from the internet long enough to do any of it himself, yet along talk to his guests.

Now mind you I realize this may be an older building and that codes may be different for this establishment to follow, so I do not imply violations, but I think it fair to bring somethings to fellow travelers attention. First off, there is only one lock on the guest room doors, the push button type. They have no deadbolts, chains or slides, just the one lock.

The stairs (there is no elevator) do not seem uniform, by this I mean that the rise and depth of them seems odd. The no slip strips on the stairs are also curling up so that they in effect work to trip you, and the railings don't run the full length of the stairs.The emergency stair run right alongside the regular staircase, i.e. if a fire or emergency were to block the one end of the hallway, you would have no exit at all.

The water in the shower switches to scolding hot when other guests flush their toilets/use water. This may not be such a big issue in other showers, but considering the ones here are glorified telephone booths, it becomes near impossible to move out of the way.

Add all of this to the fact that there are no telephones in the room and your cell phone is very likely not to pick up a signal and you are not left with the warm and fuzzies when you are there at night.

I agree with others, the town is beautiful and the view from Cohill's is amazing, but to me that alone is not enough to make me stay there again. I have every intention of going to Lubec again, but Cohill's will not be seeing me.

7 Thank MissMatryona
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

We spent 3 days here in the Bay of Fundy room which hs spectacular views up the bay. This is the best thing I can say about the place. There's a reason they don't show pictures of the bathroom on the website. It is miniscule. The shower is lucky to be 2ftx2ft with a tiny amount of water that runs hot and cold. Jack the host has a weird sense of humor and I think was very happy to have guests arrive but even happier to see them go. Do not under any circumstance eat in the restaurant, the food was the worst I've had anywhere and that includes boarding school! They have no right calling themselves a B&B. Breakfast consisted of cereal, juice ,coffee and cold hardboiled eggs. I expected a cooked breakfast and some bacon! Then again, the chef might ruin the bacon,s o probalby best not to go there.
There isn't a lot to do in Lubec apart from look at the view. Altho there is a very insteresting museum of the smoked herring industry that died out in the early 1990's. After that, there's nothing to do! So take the ferry to Eastport, good shopping and a great lunch at Quoddy Bay Lobster - try their sauted scallop rolls, delicious! You can go to Canada over the bridge from Lubec to Campobello Island and see FDR"s family home. The most interesting thing was the enormous bullhorn Eleanor used to call the kids for dinner. The house is rather gloomy and in my opinion could do with having the "Hampton's treatment" ie. paint all the wordwork white! :-) But the US and Canadian authorities work hard to maintain this piece of combined heritage and the docents were very helpful.
Other than that, not a lot to do in Lubec.

5 Thank Aussiewriter
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We've stayed here before and always have a great time. From the service, to the food and drinks to the beautiful view you can't go wrong here. The addition of the outdoor deck makes it a great place to spend an afternoon, especially on Friday's with the live music. Jack and Ellen and the entire staff are always friendly and welcoming, always going the extra mile for their guests. If you go to Lubec you have to stay or at least eat at Cohill's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rob and Amy C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lubec
Rossmount Inn
The Algonquin Resort St. Andrews by-the-Sea, Autograph Collection
St. Andrews Motor Inn
St. Andrews Motor Inn
#5 of 7 in Saint Andrews

Been to Cohill's Inn? Share your experiences!