“Very Unique Options”

Neighbourhood: West University
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
“Very Unique Options”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you enjoy the eclectic and just plain weird choices, you'll love Bumstead's. My favorite sandwich is the Frullet - portobella mushroom, tomato, peanut butter, avocado, cheese and the sweet potato fries that are amazing. There are also some pretty great desserts that are enormous but the food is so substantial, you won't have room for dessert.

• Visited January 2014

Arizona Mtns.
“Great place for a break-up date”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My BFF and I were trying to find an easy spot to get to during 4th Ave Street Fair set-up night and get some decent food and tasty adult beverages. Bumsted's is usually okay for absorbing alcohol with it's killer meatloaf sandwiches.
This night was trivia night, which is cool but...
Walked in, no greeting & no welcoming atmosphere.
Sat at a "clean table" and our hands stuck to it.
Received menus from a random server who obviously didn't care about serving us. Maybe it wasn't her section?
The menus were so gross and trashed that I wanted to wash my hands just from turning the almost-complete pages.
Ordered cocktails from a polite server and they were great, Served in clean glasses with a nice orange slice garnish.
Bumsted's has a huge selection of items for vegetarians, carnivores.and opportunitarians (will eat anything if it's cheap or free). I was feeling veg-ish so I ordered this delicious sounding mushroom cap with jalapeno/cilantro hummus and ceviche...yum, HUH?
Polite server: We don't make ceviche anymore.
Me: Can I sub mac-n-cheese for ceviche?
Polite server: No because we already have it portioned. Do you want chicken salad or egg salad?
Me: No, but I'll take it with chicken salad and a side of mac-n-cheese ('cuz I really wanted some of that)
BFF: bbllaahhh de blah blah. She knew what she wanted
Me: You might want to retire this menu because it has holes in it and is kinda gross to touch.
Polite server: We're just pushing them through Street Fair and then we'll fix them.
Me (in my head): If I came here during Street Fair (because that's when new people visit 4th Ave) with my Mom, Dad and Grammie, I would be disgusted and embarrassed and would NEVER come back here. Robert Irvine or Gordon Ramsay, please come save this place...or not. If Bumsted's can't provide customers with items on the menu, change the menu NOW.
Omitting BFFs comments, order and the 30 minute wait for food...
...Hot mushroom cap w/ boring hummus and chicken salad smothered with melty cheese on a wilted piece of romaine
...(Dry) Mac-n-cheese topped with bacon dust ($1.00 extra) in a foil pan atop a wilted piece of romaine
...BFFs dry atomic chicken sandwich with sauce on the side was exactly that. Dry. No condiments offered
Long story short...Bumsted's is promising a bunch of great food that they clearly don't have the capacity to deliver. Clean the place, secure the wobbly tables, get rid of the gaffer's tape holding the place together and tell the servers that you can't live up to the (grimy) menu.
To other visitors, go here drunk and you'll be happy with whatever you get.
I'm coming back in 2 months just to see if Bumsted's cares. "Geeks" aren't the only people who want to drink and eat at Bumsted's...or maybe they are.
Do the owners eat here?
@Bumsted's: I'll let you know when I'm in the house.
PS. The cocktails were yummy.

...

• Visited March 2014
Tucson
“Don't bother”
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here quite a few times and the service is almost always crap. I really like the hummus they make here (which is why we come back) and tonight I ordered a hummus salad. When my order came there was no hummus. The waiter told us they were out. Wish I had known that when I ordered, or was given a chance to change it.
Also, a girl came in to apply for a job while we were here. We heard the manager tell another server to just take the girl's resume and then throw it away. That they don't have time for that. That's rude. I don't think we are coming back anymore.

Dublin, Ohio
“Casual Gem”
Reviewed 17 December 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Was visiting my daughter at U of A and happened into Bumstead's. What a great place. Food and service was great. They have some amazing sandwiches and a healthy wine list. Had to take the brownie desert home to my daughter to study for finals.
Will be back!@

Visited December 2013
“Good food fun atmosphere. ”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Have visited this restaurant twice. Started with the Kool Aid both tines. One time it was awesome, the last time not so much. The hummus was a little too dry the second time. The other food has always been spot on. I took two different groups and each seemed happy with the experience.

Been to Bumsted's? Share your experiences!