“I'm not even a 'spa' person”

Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My mother and I had never been to a spa and we're already planning to go back next year. We had an A+ experience over Thanksgiving week. I agree with all the kudos listed by other reviewers here and will add: Shawn Brisby gave terrific cooking classes, which he tailored to each audience. Loved those!

Yes, the staff is great but what struck me was how friendly both they and the other guests were. Going on a hike or a walk or a bike, I met the most interesting people! This happened every time I went to an activity or lecture. We even put together a nightly dinner group of 5. We all did different things during the day and compared notes that night.

You certainly can have as much privacy as you want (and the place never feels crowded), but this is a fabulous place to go solo and not be alone.

Room Tip: One of us had mobility issues and we were given a room near the clubhouse. Perfect!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

First, let me say how delighted I am that you and your mother chose Canyon Ranch to be your first spa experience! I’m thrilled that you enjoyed your visit and thank you for sharing your observations on our fine staff and friendly guest community. Our guests often find common interests with one another and that shared passion for living healthier lives makes our atmosphere very positive, fun and rewarding – for guests and staff alike. It will be our pleasure to welcome you and your mother back next year. Happy Holidays to you both!

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My sister and I spent five days at Canyon Ranch the week before Thanksgiving. This was our first visit and I spent numerous hours this spring researching fitness/spa retreats in both Mexico and the United States. In the end, I chose Canyon Ranch for a number of reasons. First, it really is an all-inclusive package. A number of the other places I looked at claim to be all-inclusive but there is still tipping, you still have to arrange to get there from the airport, or you have to bring your own snacks because "all-inclusive" means just three meals a day -- not so at Canyon Ranch. The price they quote you includes everything, including taxes, from the moment you arrive at the Tucson airport to the moment they drop you back off. The only way to rack up additional charges is if you sign up for individual sessions or add on additional spa services or go shopping at one of their two stores -- everything else is included. That made planning SO much easier.

Second, we both liked the variety of activities included, where other resorts only have one itinerary and if you don't feel like doing a beach boot camp at 11 am you're out of luck. The array of services offered at Canyon Ranch let my sister and I each tailor our schedules to what we wanted to get out of the visit.

On to my concerns when booking this trip. First, it is undoubtedly expensive and we both wondered if it would be worth the money. The answer is absolutely yes, especially with the 20% discount for first-time visitors. What stands out more than anything at Canyon Ranch is the service, and both my sister and I travel frequently for work and fun and are picky about customer service. No request is too big or too small while you are there, and each and every person goes out of their way to accommodate whatever you need. The second thing that really stood out was how amazingly clean and organized everything is, and how they anticipate what you need before you need it. Every time my water bottle was empty, I turned the corner and there was a water station (they also have multiple stations with unsweetened fruit tea and with their own all-natural sports drink). Restrooms are everywhere and they were always clean and well-stocked -- I never even saw a scrap of paper on a floor. Umbrellas are provided at every exit and entrance, including in the guest rooms. It was really impressive.

Our second concern was that you can't sign up for any of the included classes or seminars in advance. We didn't want to spend our vacation standing in lines! Now I can say that never happened. There are so many options that there was always room in any class we tried to attend. Their recommendation to look at This Week at Canyon Ranch (available four weeks ahead of your stay on their web site) and mark the free sessions you want to attend and then book any private sessions was spot on.

Our third concern was the food, as we're both pretty picky eaters. Again, not a problem. Their standard menu accommodates most concerns and any special request was met with an "of course!" My only disappointment with the food was how relatively little of it was organic, though a significant portion is locally sourced. I'm sorry, but there's no excuse in 2013 for an establishment that prides itself on health to serve non-organic dairy. I asked on my first day and the half-and-half and soy milks were indeed organic, but the skim milk and 2% were not. I would also love to see Canyon Ranch build their own greenhouse -- what a great opportunity for additional classes on growing vegetables and herbs and what a great source of organic and local produce. Other than that, the food was excellent and always available. Do NOT miss Mexican fiesta night on Wednesdays -- the shrimp tacos were unbelievable -- and make sure you visit the demo kitchen for lunch at least one day, especially if Sean if making chicken enchiladas! My sister got hungry late one night and they actually delivered veggie wraps to our room! (Oh, and you have a mini-frig in your room, too.)

The Canyon Ranch hot stone massage is the best massage I've ever had -- amazing! I booked the Prescription for Yoga before arriving and George was absolutely wonderful to work with -- I got everything I wanted to and more out of the private sessions, and it was worth every penny. I added on a crystal reading with Heidi after arriving and meeting her at the Canyon Ranch store, where she was doing a trunk show. Again, very insightful and helpful and worth every penny.

In short, yes, it's a bit expensive, and yes, it is absolutely worth it. We are planning on going again next year and are looking forward to it!

Room Tip: The campus is quite large, so if you have trouble with walking five minutes to the clubhouse, make s...
2  Thank tripgirlMichigan

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your first vacation with us at Canyon Ranch Tucson. Sharing your investigative process in deciding the destination spa that would best meet your needs will be very helpful to others. It will be my pleasure to pass on your thoughtful dining suggestions to the Chef and his fine staff. Sean will be pleased to know the chicken enchiladas were one of your favorite recipes. Our guests are a valued resource for making sure we meet the highest in expectations for a premier health and wellness resort vacation. We look forward to welcoming you and your sister back next year. From all of us here at Canyon Ranch, we wish you Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 23 November 2013

i came to canyon ranch not expecting to get sick almost immediately..the care and concern i got from everyone...of course especially the medical staff...transformed me in such a short time i was able to partake in all the wonderful activities the ranch has to offer...and even able to excel in my workouts...amazing...and...anyone with sleep issues..and i know there are many of you...this is the place to really explore and recover from this serious health concern....i am home...and still sleeping!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adele L
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Our board-certified physicians and health professionals are here to guide you in addressing issues compromising your health, including the arrival of an unwelcome cold. It was our pleasure to provide with you with some quick relief so you could enjoy your stay. And the sleep program staff will be thrilled to hear you are continuing to enjoy a restful night’s sleep. We wish you and your loved ones a wonderful Thanksgiving week.
Healthy Regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We just finished a too short of stay at Canyon Ranch. It was amazing, everything from the food to the staff to the grounds were great. The fintness staff was a treat to work with. We had 2 private sessions and would do so again on the next visit. The food was prepared to order in portion controlled amounts, and always tasted great. You can eat healthily and enjoy your food. The lectures and classes were informative and fun. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and compliments to our exercise physiologists. They are experts in developing personalized fitness programs to meet each guest’s needs and fitness goals. It will be my pleasure to pass on your kind words to the chef and his staff, as well. We are delighted you both enjoyed your healthy and “fun” vacation here at Canyon Ranch and we all wish you both a Happy Thanksgiving.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I'd like to start by saying that this was my 13th consecutive visit to Tucson. That in itself should tell you how much I've enjoyed it. I go every year for my birthday and this past October was no different.

What I LOVE about the Ranch is that there are employees that have been there since 1978 and you can ALWAYS count on seeing the therapists, teachers, etc you love!

There is a multitude of classes to choose from for those that crave excercise classes. They are denoted according to difficulity level. All of the instructors are very well qualified and their personalities are awesome!!! You have to love someone who is making your excercise class FUN!

The spa is, well, wonderful! I have my special people that I see year after year and that makes it even more special. When you check in to the Spa, they will give you a locker number, you proceed to the women/men locker room and they escourt you to your locker with a robe and shoes. For newbies, I recommend getting a locker close to the entrance so you can get in and out between classes. For those who are looking for a more low keyed stay, ask for a locker "in the back where the home owners" have theirs. Much more quiet and ALWAYS have showers available.

I would definately recommend making ALL of your spa appointments in advance, especially during "low season" (when the rates are cheaper) as they tend to be more crowded then. You should also make all of your dinner reservations in advance as well. If you change your mind, you could always cancel them but it is highly recommeded.

The food, while healthy, is 4 star quality. Even though they don't put it on the table, if you want salt, you need to ask for it. You also can not order booze there. I always stop at local wine shop on the way in to get my wine. DO NOT WALK AROUND WITH IT.....keep it in your rooms people!

Ask and you shall receive.....I didn't like the foam pillows in my room last visit and asked for (4) King Size feather pillows and they were delivered to my room immediately. The attention to detail is incredible!

I love this place and if you go, you'll always go back!

Room Tip: If you want to be in the middle of things, stick with the rooms nearest to the spa conplex. If you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sonja U
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review and for sharing your valuable tips with TripAdvisor. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back for your birthday vacation in 2014. We wish you a delightful holiday season.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

I just spent 9 wonderful days at Canyon Ranch in Tucson. It was my fourth trip and the second one under the membership program we bought last year. I always leave feeling re-balanced, healthy and stress free. I attend the Life Enhancement Center programs and this time attended the Brain Fitness program. The lectures are given by medical, nutritional and exercise experts and are complemented by great fitness programs and time to explore on your own. I highly recommend the Life Enhancement Center program for solo travelers like me. I have always gone by myself but this time convinced my husband to join me for the first 4 days. He loved it as much as I do!

The food is fabulous, the scenery is magnificent....everything about this place is wonderful. I recommend Canyon Ranch to anyone who wants to get away by themselves or with a partner or friend to regroup, re- balance, heal or just enjoy a wonderful spa vacation. Thank you to the Canyon Ranch team! I cannot wait for my next trip in 2014!

Room Tip: For first time travelers, I recommend the rooms numbered around 140. They are super close to the spa...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Jennifer F

Thank you for sharing your experience as a fan of the Life Enhancement Center and its comprehensive approach to life long wellness. Enjoy incorporating the newest research in brain fitness activities and nutrition into your daily activities. Keep in touch with the LEC staff, they enjoy hearing from their guests. Have a wonderful holiday season and we look forward to welcoming you and your husband back next year.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

If you can, just do it. Invest in yourself. Most amazing 5 days. Place, the people, the services, the food, the accommodations and the javelinas too. Thank you to the staff for always going the extra mile. You made a real difference in my life. My first time there but not my last.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank OhioTraveler322
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

On behalf of all of our staff here at Canyon Ranch Tucson, thank you for recommending us as a healthy vacation choice that can make a long lasting positive difference in your life. We pride ourselves on our wonderful staff and are so glad you noticed! Thank you for visiting and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back again.