“Simply perfect!”

Ranked #2 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Annapolis, Maryland
“Simply perfect!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was our second time in Tucson. We loved everything about it. The hiking was a highlight….took two fabulous treks: Pontatoc Ridge Trail and Blackett's Ridge. Both level 4 hikes, beautiful and challenging. The T-pool offers a nice opportunity to relax in a quiet setting with beautiful backdrop of the mountains. Food was A+!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Randi A
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
I agree, our hiking team is wonderful and your 2 hikes are among the favorites from the department’s large selection fitness hikes. Please post a photo or two from your trek. Thank you for sharing a few of the highlights of your vacation with us and we hope to welcome you again soon.
Kyle Treat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Long Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I was recently visiting Canyon Ranch with a group of friends. There were enough different classes, activities, etc for all of us. We had a great time. The food was fabulous. The staff went out of their way to make us feel welcome and appreciated our business. I can't wait to go again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mary Ann R
Your compliments will be shared with the chef! Thank you for your review and we truly appreciate you taking the time to share your group’s experience at Canyon Ranch Tucson. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again very soon.
Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed 21 February 2014

I was Visiting CR Tucson with a group of friends. Facility is lovely, great classes, healthy & tasty food, attentive & personable staff, etc--when I went on a hike and fell into the canyon, dislocating my shoulder. The guide saved my life & stayed with me to hike me down with my arm dislocated & had an ambulance waiting. I am fine & was still able to enjoy the remaining days of my trip, because there's so many types of things to do there. Staff kept checking in with me to make sure I was OK. I still had a great time!

Room Tip: Try to be close to the spa area for concenience
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank EileenSirkin
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
The Canyon Ranch Health and Healing medical team sends their best and are all pleased you are doing well. Your guides send their very best as well. Our Hiking and Outdoor sports guides are all trained to provide the safest outdoor sports experiences and are all prepared, as a team, to administer first aid and expedite emergency care when needed. From the medical team, the hiking staff and everyone at Canyon Ranch we hope you are back to hiking with us very soon. Thank you for sharing your confidence in us and we hope to welcome you and your friends back soon.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Canyon Ranch is not for everyone. If you can look past the worn facilities, smug staff, poor spa management/scheduling policies and just flat out rude service overseen by ineffective and insincere management, then you might have a great time.

I spent a week at the Ranch as a gift from my spouse. Canyon Ranch was chosen based on the recommendation of a close friend who frequents the Ranch. I am athletic, late 30’s, health conscious and well travelled. This was my first visit to Canyon Ranch. Their were some events so poorly handled by Ranch management it was surreal. My baseline of comparison is Miraval, Auberge du Soleil and Fonteverde Natural Spa Resort (Italy). This review is lengthy, but it is my goal to be clear and honest about what I experienced in my six days at the Ranch.

Arrival and Accommodations: Pick-up at the airport (Tucson) and check-in went smoothly. My room was ready upon arrival; it was well appointed, comfortable and spotlessly cleaned. The robes were fluffy and comfortable. When the door fell off the wardrobe, maintenance was quick to respond.

Classes and Spa Services: The variety of classes is impressive and the instructors are excellent. They are upbeat, encouraging and experienced. I attended classes in water coloring, nutrition, exercise physiology, mindfulness and stress management. I had daily spa treatments – the best of which was the massages. It is NOT all-inclusive; in fact, many of the classes have a fee ranging from $150 - $400 per class or session.

The program advising for scheduling appointments at the spa/wellness needs significant work. The program advising offices are drab and uninviting. Initially, I was assisted by snotty, smug and unhelpful 20-something who had NO idea about half the spa services I inquired about. Later, I called the front desk to speak with a different scheduler/program advisor and that was not any better. Furthermore, I overheard the spa desk staff make a derogatory comment about an African-American guest. Unacceptable!

Repeatedly, I experienced the staff as being smug and insensitive to some guests while catering and kowtowing to others. The entire week, it was hit or miss in terms of scheduling assistance for any classes managed through the spa/wellness center. I politely gave feedback to the manager of the spa and was offered, "I am sorry to hear we did not meet your expectations." Well, my expectations are not that high, just friendly informed program advisors would be great. That seems to me a pretty reasonable expectation when a guest is paying $6000 for six days of relaxation and rejuvenation.

The women's locker room and spa waiting area are worn and more than a dozen lockers were not in service. The hot tubs and cold dips are a welcome respite at the end of a day. However, they are not as clean as one should be able to expect at a spa of this caliber. The waiting area for spa services in the women’s locker room is outdated and far from restorative.

A caution to those interested in restorative yoga; the class is held in a room with deep padding and very dusty carpet. Let's just say lots of sneezing from participants made for a not so restorative yoga experience.

The Equine Meditation experience was excellently done– inspiring and insightful. It costs an additional $400. However - the resort did not send a vehicle with enough seats to drive all the participants back to the ranch. I was left behind and picked up about 35 minutes later! Thankfully, the hosts of the class were kind and kept me company while I waited. No one from the resort called to apologize for leaving me behind; not the customer service you should be able to expect from a place like Canyon Ranch.

Upon my return to Canyon Ranch, I asked to speak with the Ranch manager, Kyle Treat (I believe); I was instead directed to an assistant manager who was ineffective in addressing the situation. He was patronizing and clearly did not take my concern seriously. He apologized and offered a discount on a FUTURE stay. Why would I give you a second chance after dropping the ball on something like this, not to mention the customer service issues encountered at Program Advising?

The right thing to do would have been to refund the cost of the class, offer a sincere apology and fix the problem. That is what classy and accountable organizations do when they screw up. Later a Canyon Ranch cookbook appeared in my room with a brief note indicating, “We hope you are enjoying your stay.” Really? I could purchase the $50 cookbook had I wanted it. It was hardly an appropriate redress for their recurrent lapses.

Food: The food was superb! It is mostly low fat, low salt, gluten-free healthy fare. It is clearly the highlight of the Ranch and run better than any other area. I have a dairy allergy and the wait staff remembered my allergy each day and provided excellent alternatives. The more casual eatery next to the pool is good for a quick bite and for breakfast. You can wear your bathrobe if you so desire.

Departure: 15 minutes before I was due to depart the Ranch; I received a call from the bellhop desk asking if they could come collect my bags. I declined, indicating I was finish up and would meet the car at the front entrance in 10 minutes (I only had one small bag). The bellhop tersely replied "We will leave you behind if you do not meet the car immediately. Departure is in 15 minutes. No exceptions." I informed the snippy young woman that I will meet the driver 5 minutes before departure and she did not have to like or approve of my plan. When I arrived, the driver was waiting patiently, assisted me with my bag and asked if I needed to take care of any last minute items because we had PLENTY of time before needing to arrive at the airport. Of note, there was only one other guest in the car with me whose flight left after mine.

I mentioned my experience with the rude bellhop to the driver and he was shocked - he insisted I report the experience to management. I later wrote it on a survey but did not have any interest in wasting more of my time with the management I had encountered thus far; they had proven themselves ineffective and unskilled at managing their lapses in customer service.

Canyon Ranch was disappointing. I declined their offer of a discounted return stay. No thanks! I will return to visiting destination wellness spas that skillfully execute and deliver on the promise of wellness and relaxation for every guest, consistently.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
11 Thank VoyageConsciente
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent visit – we truly value all our guests and their willingness to share their experience. We greatly appreciate your compliments on our delectable cuisine, our new Equine Inspiration workshop, selection of wellness activities and fitness instructors. I was, however, quite disappointed that not every aspect of your stay was positive. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for your interactions with staff where our high standards of customer service was not provided, including your delayed transportation. I have already shared your concerns with our executive team and the issues you voiced are being addressed. We take each survey and TripAdvisor review very seriously and as such, I kindly request that you contact me directly so we can further discuss your experience. Again, thank you for your comments and I look forward to an opportunity to speak with you.

Yellowknife, Canada
Reviewed 11 February 2014

A fabulous escape to pamper one's self, indulge in healthy, active living and rejuvenate the soul. Great facilities, delicious food, comfortable accommodations and beautiful grounds, not to mention informative sessions presented by qualified professionals. Worth every penny!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank LivingN60
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
Thank you for recommending Canyon Ranch with the readers at TripAdvisor. We always appreciate hearing from our guests and it will be my pleasure to share your compliments with our staff. Have a fabulous year and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

This was my second trip to the Ranch in less then one year. I can't speak any highly about it and it is a incredible experience. I found one thing a bit disturbing was the women's indoor whirlpool. I find it very unsanitary and actually revolting to see grown women getting into these public tubs with no clothes on. Aren't there some rules and reg's about that one. The only other thing I found disturbing was the woman's waiting area within the spa. It reminded me of some old mental asylum dating back to to 60's. Very depressing and certainly not comforting in any way. Couldn't the woman's quiet area be overdue for a more pleasant makeover and bathing suits mandatory in the whirlpools? Hoping for some changes !

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank SusanE610
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
On behalf of Canyon Ranch Tucson we are pleased your second trip with us was also incredible. Yes, some of our guests enjoy the whirlpool prior to a massage -- studies show that warm muscles benefit most from a body workout. The women’s spa locker room offers saunas, whirlpools, private showers and a number a relaxation environments to enjoy prior to or after enjoying a personal service or fitness activity. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts at TripAdvisor and we hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Healthy Regards,
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 January 2014

After a really bad two years of losing four family members and dealing with all the "business" of that and grieving my losses, I was at the end of my rope. Canyon Ranch literally helped regain my spirit and soul. For me, this was a life changing week. This is long but comprehensive review!

This was also my first experience with Canyon Ranch and I will most definitely be back! My first solo trip in over 16 years! From the minute I was picked up from the airport by a very warm and friendly driver to my trip back to the airport after seven days, Herman was my driver, I was delighted by how friendly, warm, and accommodating each staff member was to me. I felt so welcome, safe and secure. Canyon Ranch exceeded my expectations in every way.

My service coordinator was Tim Milner. He was so kind and informative and when I told him my reason for going to Canyon Ranch, he spent over an hour on the phone with me helping me chose the best services and programs for me. He promptly followed up with any of my email questions as well.

My room was # 149. The good thing about this was that it was very centrally located to the spa and restaurants. I would have appreciated more of a view but that was my only complaint. The rooms in the 500 block units have spectacular views of the mountains although a further walk to the spa/restaurants. It would be helpful before you book your trip to try and get a map of the actual place sent to you so you can see where your room will be, i.e. if you don't want to walk far, then the 100 rooms would be good for you.

The room itself was very clean and comfortable. The bathroom so nice with a fan or heat option. The stone tiling is beautiful. Loved having the mini fridge in my room to store extra snacks and ice for water. Water is delicious there and you get it filtered right from the tap in the bathroom! The comfy white robes were so luxurious too. (Forget about packing your own bathrobe, you don't need one!) Honestly, after my first two days, I realized just how wonderful it was to shower in the spa so I didn't even use my bathroom that much.

The shower experience in the spa was top shelf!!! So you have your own locker, comfy robe, and slippers they provide for you. Everything you could possibly need, they provide gladly. Towels, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face cleanser, moisturizer, sun block, woolite, combs, brushes, toothbrushes, razors, shaving cream. I even saw they had reading glasses if you forgot yours!

After a delicious hot shower, I would robe up and head to the inhalation steam room which was infused with eucalyptus, then to the sauna which was fantastic. The hot tub was also quite nice. I felt so hedonistic for the first time in years. The staff in the locker room was phenomenal. There was literally someone on hand for every single need. They couldn't do enough for you and were so friendly and accommodating.

The food was absolutely amazing. I ate primarily at the Double U cafe, felt a bit more comfortable there as I was solo. It's a bit more laid back then the dining room but both venues were impeccable with service and the food was simply terrific. So healthy, fresh, different each day. The snacks they offer were awesome too and I usually took some back to my room to store in the mini fridge for late night.

The service is top notch. There are literally 3 staff members per one guest, now that is what I call service! I was told the Ranch was at 70% capacity yet it felt so private and not crowded at all anywhere.

The classes I did were primarily different types of yoga. I loved them all. Micca was my favorite yoga instructor, so spiritual, warm-hearted, and gave a great class. Mona was terrific and really gave a demanding workout. Elizabeth was so kind and sweet, Laurie was excellent, George was very good. The aerial hammock yoga was fun, I wished they could expand the program for a beginner and intermediate class but they probably will in the future as it just started a few weeks ago I was told. The yoga dome is so beautiful, panoramic views of the mountains, and so serene doing my yoga and seeing the birds soaring in the sky and the cactuses.

Services I got included the following:

Prescription for yoga with Mona Glasgow. Mona was simply wonderful and gave me great advice, especially about meditation and increasing my practice.

Healing Touch: This was literally an out of body experience for me! Sue Kagel was phenomenal. I really didn't know what to expect but it was intense. I saw my lost loved ones and got messages from them, seriously! I left there feeling so happy and so at peace. Sue's lecture on "Resiliency in a Changing World" was really good and informative!

Acupuncture: This was my first time ever. It was amazing! The nurse knew exactly what to do for grief release. When I left her and since then, I have never felt better. My energy is better, my outlook, my whole body tingled with energy when I left her. I will definitely be doing this locally from now on until my next trip to Canyon Ranch.

Ziplining: So fun! I felt very safe and comfortable. This was my first experience with zip lining. The instructors, Matthew and Jared were so nice and took photos for me on my phone. They made me feel very safe.

*Spiritual Dialogue with Julie Haber: Amazing!!! This was transformative for me. Literally life changing! Julie is very gifted and she was able to walk me through where my spirit was and what I needed to do to work on healing and growing. I loved this experience!!! Her lecture on "Women's Wisdom" was excellent as well and she took time afterwards to work a little extra with me on a meditation designed for me. Meeting Julie was probably the best gift I got during my stay at Canyon Ranch. Literally you MUST go to one of her services if you have a hurting heart!!!

Hot Stone Massage: With Charity was awesome!!!

O2 facial : with Josie was simply amazing! I wish they offered this service around me locally. It was so nice! The O2 really takes time off the face and my skin was glowing for days and still is!

Clairvoyant Pat: Excellent! So nice, professional, on target exactly and I have a CD with our entire session to reflect on.

Biking: The guys are wonderful! Ed was so accommodating and I met him the first day I arrived. He gave me a quick bike fit, changed the pedals for my bike shoes, and gave me tips about what rides to go on. I rode on Friday and had such nice guides. We went to Sequoia National Park and the scenery was spectacular! Jared and Michael were so nice as guides. The road bikes themselves are great, all carbon Cannondales people!!!

The Spirit Walk: Around the Canyon Ranch property are these beautiful, peaceful stations to sit and reflect. The tipi and labyrinth were beautiful. The statues and artwork all around you is just beautiful.

In conclusion, Canyon Ranch completely exceeded my expectations in every way. I absolutely loved it there. I am convinced that everyone should go here at least once in their lives, especially after undergoing a major change or upheaval in their lives. It was so therapeutic for me both emotionally and physically. I came away with such great information and tools to help me attain peace and happiness in my own life which will benefit my families' lives and all those around me.

Yes it is pricey but YOU are worth it! If you can swing it by all means do so! This is not just a "spa vacation" it's a way to change your life, for the better!

Happy Trails and Namaste!

Room Tip: For a great view of mountains, request a room in the 500 units and to be very close to the restauran...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank thunderpebbles
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Namaste! We are delighted you chose Canyon Ranch for your winter vacation and wellness oriented escape. Your program coordinator Tim and myself are pleased you benefited from your activity selections and are happy you approached your stay with a sense of adventure. Thank you for sharing your itinerary and I truly appreciate your kind words regarding so many of our staff members. The TripAdvisor community will truly benefit from your review -- it will give them a true picture of the wonderful ways you can approach relaxation, fitness and rejuvenation. Until we have the pleasure of welcoming you again, I wish you continued peace and happiness.