All reviewsexercise classesspa treatmentshealthy foodlife changinghealing touchmeditation gardenmedical stafflocker roomlose weightaerial yogamother daughterno tippingspent a weekgrounds are beautifulcrenhancementwellness
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I love the Canyon Ranch property, amenities and the staff. You can be as pampered or left alone as you like.
The Food: I am a picky eater and I NEVER had a disappointing meal in 21 tries. Between meals you can grab snacks to go and you can even get a lunch to go on your departure day. The portions are small, but they never balk if you order extra. Two desserts? No problem.

The Activities: every hour there are free aerobic, stretching, and weight-training classes in both old and new philosophies. There is Wallyball (volleyball in a racket ball court) twice a day for just pure fun. Tennis, pickleball, cycling, and swimming. There are guided hikes and bike rides or you can set out on your own.

The Spa: every kind of massage invented, facials, manies and pedies, mud baths, hot tubs, cold tubs, saunas, etc. Hair and make-up makeovers. These items to cost more, but well worth it.

Health and Fitness: complete fitness testing to maximize your athletic prowess. Health programs for the overweight, diabetic, those with heart disease, chronic fatigue, etc.

Lectures on healthy topics, stargazing, or Bingo every night. Cooking classes, arts classes, spiritual classes.

The grounds are beautiful; they don't try to make it green in the desert, but various pieces of art work are strewn throughout the property. Thank goodness for no cell phones in public areas.

All of the staff were friendly and helpful. With one notable exception, all the guests are friendly.

I will definitely be returning, but for a bit longer. In 6 days you get used to the increased activity and low calorie food. If you leave on day 7 you don't get as much benefit as if you can increase your stay a bit.

This is NOT for people who want to drink, eat fatty foods and watch TV during vacation but for people who want to feel better at the end of their vacation and get a jump start, or a restart, on healthy living.

Room Tip: I've been in the 100's and the 700's; everything is well-laid out so I don't think there's a bad location.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sinnet33
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

We hear the comparison to Disneyland for adults often. If you think of your childhood experience at Disneyland and the wonder of so many fun things to do, busy all day with one adventure after another and the feeling of exhilaration, you can see the similarity. At Canyon Ranch we want your wellness vacation to be fun and we enjoy motivating our guests during their adventure! Your review highlights how you enjoyed an active week and had the opportunity to enjoy our other guests during many of the social activities. Thank you for sharing your positive experience with TripAdvisor and our entire staff, we truly appreciate your compliments. See you again soon.
Healthy Regards,

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I sensed I needed Canyon Ranch - not sure how I knew it was going to help or exactly how it would manifest, but it did help and I now know how. The Ranch brings together an array of services that re-educate, re-direct, re-invigorate, and allow recovery of a life that may be on a still alterable course toward suboptimal health and disquieting psychological unease. It was challenging, yet fun. I learned so much about exercise, nutrition, where I was in my life, and, along the way, caught a glimpse of how important a life with proper balance of mind, body and spirit will be for me as I transition into my last 20 or so years. I want all of the people I love to go to Canyon Ranch ... all my health care providers ... all my colleagues and partners ... and truly wish the philosophy of Canyon Ranch could take hold nationwide/worldwide as well as be applied to our healthcare system as an integrative means to enhance quality of life. I fully intend to return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Terry C
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

You are very welcome; and we are delighted your Canyon Ranch experience will have a long lasting impact on your life. Our mission is to provide more than a vacation but insights, strategies and tools to bring greater health, vitality and happiness into your life. Thank you for stating so eloquently in your comments what we strive to accomplish each day. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am a 24 year old male and stayed here for 4 nights. Before visiting, admittedly, I wasn't sure if this place would be "for me", but it has now become--quite easily--a new favorite vacation destination. First, I'm not the type of person to get online and submit reviews for things I've done, places I've eaten, or places I've been, but I am gladly putting forth this effort for Canyon Ranch because of how awesome the trip was.

Initially, I wasn't sure if Canyon Ranch attracted the young crowd and people who were more into outdoor activities vs spa activities, and wow, was I wrong. Canyon Ranch has something for everyone; if you want, you can go on guided hikes every day or pamper yourself in the spa (or both!). As it turns out, this place certainly does attract a younger crowd because it is a great place to spend quality time with family, learn new exercises, and a chance to learn how to truly eat healthy. I will address as many aspects (based on my experience) as I can about Canyon Ranch for the rest of this review:

The Staff: All of my interactions with the staff were wonderful; they were polite and treat you like royalty (I'd bet this is what it's like!). They were all so kind and let me take a late check-out at 4pm (and they packed me a lunch to take with me...I mean wow, how nice is that???)

The fitness classes: The instructors are enthusiastic and more than willing to help you with your form, but they aren't overbearing about it. I was amazed by the variation of fitness related classes Canyon Ranch offers: stretching, foam rolling (highly recommend), yoga (many variations), spinning classes (highly recommend), and cardio/resistance training classes (called "Muscle Max"--a great workout). If you're new to exercise or want to brush up on it, they have classes for beginners and the instructors are very helpful and patient--they want to see you get the most out of your trip! I've been lifting and cycling since high school (2004) now and I thought I knew all of the best ways to train my body and remain flexible, but Canyon Ranch showed me many new techniques that I have now implemented into my everyday workouts.

The cooking classes: I took an "Express meals" cooking class with my mom. The demonstration chef's name was Shawn Brisby and he is a very talented, engaging, and funny dude. He made the class very enjoyable and, just as in the fitness courses, I learned many cool new techniques to use everyday in the kitchen.

The hiking: My mom and I went on several hikes with a guy named Ben as our hiking guide (I don't know his last name). Ben is such an awesome dude and is very knowledgeable about the area and the wildlife, so not only do you get to hike throughout beautiful Tucson you can also learn about the ecosystem there. The hiking experience really highlighted how great Canyon Ranch is because they pack water for you and pack you your own lunch, which is delicious! They take care of everything!

Bike trip to farmer's market: Every Saturday there is a farmer's market set up in Tucson. One of the activities takes you on a guided bike ride through Tucson on a paved trail and then you can hang out at the farmer's market afterwards and buy delicious snacks and coffee. Highly recommend.

The gym: This is, hands down, the most beautiful gym I've ever been in. I've been to many different gyms since ~2004, and the equipment here is simply top-notch. Have you ever been on a machine in the gym and thought to yourself, "hmm, this doesn't feel very good/doesn't seem to be targeting the muscles it says it should..." Well, you definitely won't be saying that here because the machines are such high quality. Moreover, the gym has everything you need: well-maintained cardio equipment, free weights, benches, smith machine, squat rack, weighted straight bars, leg press (a very nice one), cable/lat pull down tower, and a very nice/clean stretching room.

The food/dining experience: The food options at Canyon Ranch are impeccable. I'm convinced that if one stayed here for a month, then this person would come home looking like a Greek god or goddess. Everything is cooked fresh to order, low sodium, and delicious. If you're like me and have a large appetite, they will gladly accommodate your level of hunger! You will not be disappointed when it comes to the food here; they offer all types of food and have chicken breasts and grilled salmon ala carte, which is very tasty. Canyon Ranch has found the perfect balance between healthy and delicious in their food. Last but not least, the coffee is so good--why doesn't my coffee taste this good...? Oh Canyon Ranch, how you've spoiled me...

The grounds: Beautiful and tranquil. Running water, colorful flowers, pristine cacti species and other plant native to the southwest.

Final notes: To put it plainly, if you haven't been here before, you will be kicking yourself for not trying it out sooner. Yes, it is on the expensive side, but when you consider everything Canyon Ranch offers you (food is completely taken care of!) and how magnificently they treat you, it becomes abundantly clear that it is, in fact, well worth the money. Your body and mind will thank you! As the other reviews say, this place certainly lives up to--and beyond--its reputation. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Jeff S
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Thank you for sharing such a detailed summary of your first experience at Canyon Ranch. It is a joy to hear this was a trip you took with your mother -- what a great vacation to share with her. It sounds like you both have valued healthy and wellness in your lives and this trip was an adventure into how a Canyon Ranch vacation is filled with health minded fun and fitness for both men and women of all ages and levels of fitness. I appreciate your mentioning some of the staff by name and it will be my pleasure to share your comments with them. The ropes course, golf center, hiking and many other active fitness activities await you on your return visit. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

After a full week trying everything I could from spa treatments to workouts and yoga, watercolor and meals with friends all trying to improve, I came out with new vigor for improving my health and life. Their programs are very full and can challenge you at any level. The food was interesting and it was easy to lose some pounds and still enjoy the variety.
Their direction toard meditation for enhancing many areas of life was a welcome reminder of how I want to be.
This is a very very good place.

Room Tip: All good! I think all the rooms look great. I saw several of them and they were different but equivalent.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Feedback such as this is what motivates us each and every day to provide the best possible experience for our guests. It is rewarding to hear that your stay has not only been a wonderful vacation but you feel rejuvenated and healthier due to your time spent with us. I am happy you took advantage of the many expansive menu activities and tried a variety of them. Thank you for sharing your experience at Canyon Ranch Tucson and we hope to welcome you back again on your next trip to the United States.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

For years I had heard amazing things about this spa and I have to say it really does live up to it's reputation. I have now been to CR in Tucson two times and from what I hear it's the best location. There is a great range of activities for all ages and levels of intensity. It's a wonderful mix of daily offerings that keep bring us back. Staff is sincerely courteous and happy to be there. It's a special experience.

Room Tip: There are a limited number of rooms that sleep three, so plan ahead.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
jharrison2012, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am glad you chose Canyon Ranch Tucson again and you enjoyed some new activities, all designed to enjoy living a healthy lifestyle. It will be my pleasure to pass on your compliments to our staff. There are so many more activities for you to enjoy, we welcome your return.
Healthy Regards,