“The most stressful thing about Canyon Ranch!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucson
Canyon Ranch in Tucson
Ranked #2 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 29 April 2014

There's so many things to do! ;-)) There are so many opportunities for healthy and fun activities that I have found over my ten years of coming here that I have to plan out a "strategy" of what I'm going to do before I get there. That way I get the most out of the trip and don't waste time (and money!) standing around trying to figure out what to do. Personally, I concentrate on hiking and biking every morning, and then swimming or running or doing some testing at the health and healing center; maybe also a health-related lecture or two around dinner time. And the Captains Tables are a great way to meet people at dinner. My advice for a first timer: work with the program advisors to get you started, and if you know someone who has been to the Ranch before, talk to them about how to work with the incredible number of activities to choose from. And then Enjoy!!!

Room Tip: Don't spend too much time in the room. Get out there and DO STUFF!!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Our program coordinators are experts in helping our guests plan the perfect health and wellness centered vacation. You are correct they are especially helpful for a first time guests. They also share their knowledge of new activities and assist in selecting personalized health and healing services for all our guests. Thank you for your continued support and sharing your vacation strategy and tips with TripAdvisor. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

A few months ago, my "significant other" and I spent 11 days at the Canyon Ranch Health Resort & Luxury Spa in Tucson. It was my first visit and her fourth. I had known others who had been there previously, and I had imagined a place where people went to get pampered with massages, facials, fancy diets and luxurious accommodations. I am pleased to report that it was far more than that, and it is why I am looking forward to going there again this year.

I am a very active 62-old who loves cycling, swimming, kayaking and tennis. On weekends, I referee soccer matches when time allows. I knew the Ranch would provide opportunities for vigorous exercise, but I didn't appreciate the diversity and quality of their outdoor and indoor offerings.

The exquisite mountain ranges surrounding Tucson made it easy to sign up for hikes at all fitness levels. I went hiking every other day, to altitudes exceeding 9,000 ft. There was spectacular scenery and good companionship to be had on these trips - typically lasting 3-5 hours. A guide at the front and one at the back of each group meant that we could proceed at any pace our abilities allowed. No one felt badly bringing up the rear - or dashing up too fast. Same for the bike rides around Tucson, with guides front and back. Some of the treks started at the Ranch, others started with a bus ride to a more remote location. Making new friends on these outings was just part of the fun.

The Ranch possesses a broad array of facilities from high-ropes and tennis courts to indoor squash and a broad range of swimming pools, not to mention world class fitness equipment. Throughout, the staff was highly competent and incredibly accommodating. They always found a way to get me what I asked for and made helpful suggestions along the way.

The quality and the diversity of the meals offered was outstanding and catered to most every taste. Nutritional information was provided for all the dishes and drinks and I found the portions very suitable. You can always ask for seconds on any items, but I rarely did. Don't ask for wine or beer, though: alcohol is never on the menu. Frankly, I didn't miss it at all. Their smoothies taste fabulous.

I tried new forms of wellness, including yoga and meditation. Again, the instructors were very welcoming to neophytes like me, and I have plans to continue doing both on my own. There were also recreational and social opportunities such as WallyBall and, after dinner, Bingo nights. Lots of fun and a great way to meet people from all over the US and Canada.

Contrary to my preconceptions, Canyon Ranch in Tucson is not just for pampering. It can be as rugged and challenging as mind and body allow.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Theodor R

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and the TripAdvisor community. I look forward to sharing with our staff your rave review and your new found enjoyment of meditation and yoga. These activities will certainly be a great wellness compliment to your current fitness practices. Often mentioned at the end of a stay is the camaraderie our guests feel with the staff and the many unexpected friendships that have been forged during hikes, fitness classes, meals, etc. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again next year.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I spent the week at Canyon Ranch after having done Miraval last year. Both are absolutely excellent and recommended, but I thought I would provide some quick compare-and-contrast for those looking for a wellness week in Tucson. You can’t go wrong with either and both offer many of the same things: a combination of fitness, New Age/spirituality, self-help, wellness, healthy dining experiences, classes, lectures, hikes, etc.

Canyon Ranch costs significantly more than Miraval. What you get in return for the higher dollars: a) more options of what you can do (or eat) at any given moment, b) a much larger fitness center. CR’s emphasis is on fitness, which is the subject of most of the classes, but due to sheer volume of offerings available every hour, there’s also a respectable number of spirituality options (known to be Miraval’s focus) and also arts/crafts classes (a lot more than they have at Miraval). Both have ample choices at meals, but there are simply more options at Canyon Ranch (in addition to a higher number of choices on the menu, CR also has an omelet bar at breakfast, sandwich bar at lunch, a pasta bar at dinner). I found the grounds to be slightly nicer at CR (larger number and more interesting sculptures/art around the ranch), though to be fair, I visited CR in the spring, and Miraval in January, so the blooming spring flowers might be biasing me toward CR as a venue.

As mentioned above, CR is known to be more focused on fitness; Miraval on spirituality. That reputation is certainly true. The vibe at CR is more “get yourself healthy and balanced”; at Miraval more “find, center, and nurture yourself.” Both vibes are so similar that those who aren't wellness enthusiasts might not notice a big difference--or any difference; you can certainly spend all day at fitness classes/activities at Miraval, or all day doing spiritual/new age/mind-body things at CR. But there’s a slight difference in emphasis. At CR, I found that guests would go around talking about how many fitness classes they did that day, how hard they pushed themselves. At Miraval, guests would talk about what “new adventure” they tried for the first time to get rid of a fear (i.e., Zipline, ropes course) or to learn something about themselves (i.e., a lot of people do the Equine experience, which is learning about yourself through interaction with a horse—which CR has added too but is not a big thing at CR). CR has doctors onsite and you can get a complete physical etc. Guests at both do talk about the spa treatments they received, but probably slightly more emphasis on the spa and variety/uniqueness of treatments at Miraval (though CR has no shortage).

Both are certainly premium experiences. But Miraval *feels* more like a 5-star luxury hotel. The bedding is nicer at Miraval. The Miraval menus are certainly healthy, but have less a focus on health overall (i.e., not the same extent of clearly-demarcated vegan and gluten-free options) and felt a little more “foodie” in nature. The Miraval spa is smaller, but definitely feels more like a 5-star hotel spa; it has some nice elements like a fire pit lounge right outside of the jacuzzi/steam room/sauna area, beautiful balcony from the waiting room. The CR spa facilities have the benefit of being within the fitness center (I loved being able to go back and forth between the two so easily), but have a little bit of a large "in-and-out” feeling; there are a lot of staff in the spa facilities bustling about all the time (more than at Miraval), but they don’t have the focus on maintaining every detail. At Miraval, if there’s a used towel or water cup laying around for even a second in the spa, someone cleans it up. As soon as a shower has been used, someone cleans it up and replaces the towels. The fewer number of staff in the smaller Miraval spa have an OCD-like dedication to perfection and a pristine, seemingly untouched environment in every single detail, at every single moment. CR staff are overall great, but sometimes overlook small details; for example, after one of my massages, I couldn’t find my slippers, as they had been shoved underneath the massage table, and it was very dark. The very nice and effective therapist simply forgot to move them for me, or slightly un-dim the lights; this is just slightly clumsy and isn't something that usually happens when you pay a lot of money for a massage. None of this should be qualified as a negative — not the kind of thing you report to the person’s manager or complain about anywhere but a TripAdvisor review; it was an excellent massage in terms of his technical skills — but is the neglect of small items that isn’t quite “luxury experience” that you usually get with such a high price tag. I’ve used the spa as one point of comparison for this review, but, generally, I found that while the service staff at CR in every area (spa, restaurant, front desk, etc.) are professional, polite, friendly — they are certainly to be commended for a welcoming experience, and I enjoyed all my conversations with them a lot — they don’t have quite the polish that Miraval staff have. I wouldn’t hire the CR staff to work at the Ritz Carlton (for example) or another luxury brand right off the bat; they would need some additional training, and perhaps not all of them would make it. I would more likely hire the Miraval staff to do so right away; they would probably need less training to be Ritz Carlton-ready.

I don’t mean to say that these “5-star hotel details” at Miraval make it inherently better; it’s just a different experience. The flip side was that Miraval’s luxury feel probably was also what made it feel a little less relaxed and comfortable. The dining room at Miraval feels a little too fancy; dining (at every meal) feels a little more like an Event. The CR dining room isn’t as ornate — it’s part of a building called the Clubhouse, appropriately, and feels more like a “Ranch.” If you are a solo traveler, both are great options—everyone is friendly, you have plenty to keep you occupied and people to converse with, etc. However, CR felt somewhat more welcoming as a solo traveler. Even though the week that I visited Miraval had a high number of solo travelers (about 40% of the tables at dinner seemed to be solo diners), the staff seemed surprised that I was there by myself and would sometimes comment (“wow, you’re brave to be traveling alone” “there are more people traveling alone this week than usual"). I wouldn’t say CR necessarily has more solo travelers than Miraval, but it seemed more expected, and I think generally the relaxed atmosphere made it slightly more comfortable as a solo traveler. Perhaps due to the large number of options, even people who were in couples or groups at CR seem to split up across the day and sometimes even at meals, so there were just a lot more people doing things independently (not only the people traveling independently).

Additionally, part of what I enjoy about traveling solo and especially to wellness spas is the ability to be spontaneous — to decide at any given second what I feel like doing without having to plan in advance — and CR’s multitude of options is really ideal for that desire, as there is probably something (multiple things) always available to suit every mood and inclination. The fact that there are more options also means that they don’t book as quickly or as early as the options at Miraval; if you haven’t booked private appointments or reserved seats in limited classes at Miraval before you get there, you probably won’t be able to do them. At CR, it is certainly recommended that you book things in advance if you want to have all your first choices (if there's something you really want to do, book it in advance!!!), but there are so many options that it’s easier to change and sign-up for appointments at sessions somewhat last-minute, especially during the week (weekends more crowded).

These are nit-picky comparisons; you can’t go wrong with either. Both places seemed to have a ton of very passionate repeat guests and happy employees. I would absolutely visit both again, depending on what my priorities were at the moment and how much I wanted to spend. Also, I did not mention Red Mountain in this review since it is in St. George, Utah, not in Tucson (and therefore the comparison does not seem as relevant), and I was there less recently, but would note that they have some overlap clientele as a large destination wellness spa. Red Mountain has pretty much have all the same things as CR and Miraval (fitness classes, spa treatments, general wellness lectures, some spirituality, hiking, healthy food). But fewer class and lecture options per hour, fewer “unique” spa treatments and a less-extensive spa than both Tucson places. Where I think Red Mountain has the advantage: (a) value for the money, and by a LOT—very similar to CR and Miraval but for much less, (b) truly breath-taking scenery and range of outdoor activities; if you’re a big hiker, or want to prioritize outside opportunities, this is hands-down the place to go, (c) more focus on regimented health programs—I didn’t do any of these, but a lot of people I met did so, (d) probably best for solo travelers that want to meet people—communal dining table a lot more popular at Red Mountain than at the other places (and not paired with any kind of lecture or instruction or “meet staff”).

Room Tip: I was happy with room in the 550-range; great location close to both spa and clubhouse
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
89  Thank serendipity613

Thank you for taking the time to share your comparative experiences and for your compliments on our diverse menu of fitness activities, dining options, wellness and creative arts activities offered here at Canyon Ranch each and every day. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

I recently returned from a mother-daughter week at Canyon Ranch and what a good time we had. First of all, the climate in Tucson is amazing in early April and really encouraged us to get outside and get moving in general. So much has been said about the accommodations, staff and food--all of which are great, but the experience as a whole is what makes the stay. Being surrounded by people of all ages & varying physical conditions who have come to the same place to work at feeling better is very inspiring. If you need an extra "push" towards a healthy lifestyle, this is the place. I tried several fitness classes and especially enjoyed the a.m. power walks, Zumba and World Beat (Zumba with live percussion). The women's or co-ed stretch classes were a daily luxury. I also took a great hands-on cooking class and went "over the wall" for a beautiful 3.5 mile hike in Ventana Canyon. I really enjoyed the morning "Energize Your Soles" classes, which stretch and stimulate the feet for an effect that lasts all day. Save some time to get a terrific massage, a beauty treatment and just relax by the pool. By the time the sun went down, we fell fast asleep after a full day. Canyon Ranch is truly a vacation I have taken home with me!

Room Tip: We loved staying in the 700's. It's a bit more of a walk to the clubhouse, but its a beautif...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Bouquet61
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Fabulous! This is the feeling we hope to have our guests experience when returning home. Canyon Ranch is truly an inspirational wellness vacation supported by a tremendously talented staff. I am glad you got out on one of the spectacular hikes and remembered to take time to stretch and relax with a little pampering each day. Thank you for sharing your comments with the TripAdvisor community and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

What a wonderful experience. We picked the perfect location to enjoy nothing but tranquility. Do as much as you want or as little as you want. It's all about you and just being pampered. One lady said she's been there 61 times. That's twice a year. How fortunate she is and who would blame her. You must give this a try, it's fabulous.

Room Tip: I had a delightful room, next door to my friend. Just perfect. Always clean.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank blissfu33
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

We appreciate you sharing your feeling of bliss and being pampered. Taking time to relax and slow down to focus on yourself is equally important as being physically fit and eating for wellness. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I spent a glorious week at Canyon Ranch. We ate wonderful vegetarian fare(though there was steak,fish,and poultry on the menu), hiked,took fitness classes,attended lectures and relaxed by the pools (there are 3!). The staff at the Life Enhancement Center are fabulous! They went out of their way to make our stay hassle free and enjoyable!
Not to be missed is anything that is being run by Julie Haber and her staff at the spiritual wellness center. She set up a very special ceremony for us to renew and celebrate our marriage of 35 years. She brings a warm,loving,calm energy to all that she does. Attending her talks was a highlight of our time at Canyon Ranch. We are hoping to attend the Spirituality Week next spring. We cannot wait to see the new Spirituality Center and healing gardens,currently under construction, that will be completed in 6 months!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna P
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Congratulations on your 35th wedding anniversary! We are delighted you chose to spend the celebration of your marriage at Canyon Ranch. Yes, Julie Haber and her team are remarkable. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Life Enhancement Center’s unique program and your lovely renewal ceremony. We also look forward to the new Spirituality Center and the beautiful gardens; and it will be our pleasure to welcome you both back next spring so we may all wish you yet another very happy anniversary.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

A five night stay from April 5-10, 2014 left me wanting more. There is something here that will appeal to EVERYONE, regardless of your physical, mental or emotional state upon arrival. If you think about what kind of experience you want to have before you get here, it will be easier to make decisions on how to spend your day/time. You can go "physical" by starting your day with a 6:30am group walk followed by non-stop hourly classes for cardio/strength training. Mix it up with some yoga and dance classes as well as water aerobics to keep it fun. The "adventurer" will enjoy hikes in the canyon/hills/mountain, bike rides, ropes course. The "soul searcher" will benefit from a wide variety of spirtual experiences - my personal favorite being Healing Touch! The "education seeker" will thoroughly enjoy the numerous opportunities to expand your horizons...from cooking demonstrations/classes, lectures on a variety of topics (health related, etc. - loved learning about the impact of sleep on the brain and impact of Feng Shui on my livng space). To those "creative" folks (not me, I am afraid!) many raved about the classes that allowed even non-experienced individuals to enjoy making jewelry, painting, plants, photography and more. The staff at CR is fabulous - from top to bottom. They truly want to make your experience one that will bring you back again and again. It worked...I am already planning a September trip to the Lenox, MA sister resort. Oh, by the way....the massages and spa treatments are a FABULOUS way to wnd down your day and really treat yourself to something special!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nancy P
crsocial, General Manager at Canyon Ranch in Tucson, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Thank you for your pre-arrival suggestions, they are spot on. And, even if you think you know what you would like to do, the menu of activities and fitness offerings are such that you can add or change your plans as you explore our wellness vacation opportunities. Though you may not think you are creative, our guests say the creative arts classes in the evening have the added value of lots of smiles and meeting new friends. I will once again have the pleasure of thanking our staff for providing you and all of our wonderful guests with the ultimate wellness vacation. Enjoy the Berkshires location in Lenox, MA; they have many unique fitness and treatment offerings you will enjoy. Have a wonderful summer and I invite you back to Canyon Ranch Tucson again very soon.